cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Abby_Collins14
Level III

Control chart: Xbar and S chart with large subgroup size unable to extract or calculate limits

I am working on building Xbar and S chart to monitor a process where we observe the data (Y) every 1 minute across multiple runs. I wanted a chart where I have the control limits be the average of each time point across runs, which I believe the Xbar and S chart is doing. However, the actual LCL and UCL limits are not showing up, and I don't know how to extract them from the plot (see example chart below). Does anyone have suggestions for how to do this? 

Thanks!

Abby_Collins14_1-1723152918694.png

4 REPLIES 4
shampton82
Level VII

Re: Control chart: Xbar and S chart with large subgroup size unable to extract or calculate limits

Hye @Abby_Collins14 ,

Since your control limits are moving you it means you don't have equal sample sizes and thus JMP doesn't know what Control Limit to report.  You might need to change your data pull to make sure the subgroups have the same sample size.  You could also just run the analysis where you have the same sample sizes and get the control limits from there.

Steve

Abby_Collins14
Level III

Re: Control chart: Xbar and S chart with large subgroup size unable to extract or calculate limits

Thanks! Is there a way to pull the moving control limits? That is what I am after 

Byron_JMP
Staff

Since you aren't really using a control chart, but a Level Jennings chart which uses the overall variation of the subgroup rather than the between subgroup, you could just use the tabulate function to calculate the standard deviation for each subgroup and go from there.

BTW, using standard deviation control limits is a good way to Never see anything out of control

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
shampton82
Level VII

I think this will get you what you are after

shampton82_0-1723305232691.png