cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
RK1
RK1
Level II

Comparing Names of column from two different data table

Hello,

I am writing a script where user will select  particular column name from one data table using panel box. Then selected column will be compared against column name from a different table and select the column when it matches. 

I am facing a problem related to {"x"}. When i am selecting column from panel box and storing in variable, it is getting stored as selected_cols= {"BIN"}. Now when i am comparing it against column names from 2nd data table, result is giving no column matches even though 2nd table has BIN column . When i checked when comparing its comparing {"BIN"} against BIN and giving no matching, I even tried putting char (selected_cols) but it makes {"BIN"} to "{\!"BIN\!"}".

Please help in getting this issue resolved. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Comparing Names of column from two different data table

I am not totally sure of the issue, without seeing the code, but I am guessing that you are running into an issue where you are ending up comparing a list to a string.  {"x"} is a list.  If you want to compare it to a string, you need to use it's subscript......

a={"x"};

b="x";

show(a==b);

show( a[1]==b);

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

I am not totally sure of the issue, without seeing the code, but I am guessing that you are running into an issue where you are ending up comparing a list to a string.  {"x"} is a list.  If you want to compare it to a string, you need to use it's subscript......

a={"x"};

b="x";

show(a==b);

show( a[1]==b);

Jim
RK1
RK1
Level II

Thanks for quick help. it worked. You were right i was comparing list with a string that's why not getting result.