cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Can we do gage R&R study with less than 5 Parts

Hi All 

I am planning to use gage r&r study for my research purpose and try to understand the effect of operator and pipette on final weights.

Here the operators are 3, and parts (in my case pipettes) are also 2 where as trials are 5. Whatever the literature I read suggests the number of parts should be equal to or greater than 5. Can we use do the study in just 2 parts?

2 REPLIES 2
statman
Super User

Re: Can we do gage R&R study with less than 5 Parts

First, welcome to the community.  

There are several ways to evaluate measurement systems.  Start with what questions do you have about the measurement system?  What are potential sources of variation in the measurement process?  How will you include those sources in your study to estimate their effects?  How likely will your sample of those components in your short-term study be representative of future conditions?  What sources of variation are you wanting to compare the measurement components to?  Evaluating the measurement process is a comparison of the measurement system components to the components you want the measurement system to detect.

Will 2 pipettes be representative of the potential pipette-to-pipette variation in the future?

There are a number resources and reference materials you may find useful....search Wheeler EMP.

https://www.jmp.com/en_us/whitepapers/jmp/emp-management-systems-analysis.html

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Can we do gage R&R study with less than 5 Parts

In addition to the thoughts of @statman, from a resource point of view I encourage you to check out this JMP On Demand webinar presented by my former colleague @JerryFishEvaluating Your Measurement Process