cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lala
Level VII

Averaging with the Summary command. How can I use the mean column of the generated table to keep a significant number?

I have seen Big Class.jmp's table with the same JSL get a mean column that already retains a significant number, but my own table does not.

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dt = Current Data Table();
d2 = dt << Summary(
	Group( 2 ),
	Mean( 4 ),
	Freq( 0 ),
	Weight( 0 ),
	Link to original data table( 0 ),
	statistics column name format( "column" )
);

Thanks!

2024-05-08_15-59-13.png

10 REPLIES 10
lala
Level VII

回复: Averaging with the Summary command. How can I use the mean column of the generated table to keep a significant number?

• I saw that the summary table generated by Big Class.jmp was automatically formatted.

2024-05-08_16-06-21.png

txnelson
Super User

回复: Averaging with the Summary command. How can I use the mean column of the generated table to keep a significant number?

Is your desire to have the actual value in the data table to only have a specified number of significant digits or is the requirement to just have the format for the result column to have the specified number of digits?

By default, when the Summary table is generated for a column that has the number of decimal places specified in it's format, JMP will add an additional decimal place to the output tables summarized column.  To set the format's number of significant decimals to anything other than this will require the adding of JSL to set the format. 

Jim
lala
Level VII

I want the actual value in the data table to only have a specified number of significant digits.

• So the final file size is small.

Thank Jim!

• This script gets larger volume.

Column( d2, 3 ) << Format( "Fixed Dec", 20, 2 );
  • Do have to use this script?

r = N Row( d2 );
ar = d2 << GetAsMatrix( 3 );
For( i = 1, i <= r, i++,
	ar[i, 1] = Round( ar[i, 1], 2 )
);
d2[0, 3] = ar;

lala
Level VII

• Can set it in the preferences?

txnelson
Super User

There are several ways to compress your data.  If you want to compress specific columns, you can select them and then go to 

Cols=>Utilities=>Compress Selected Columns

The preferences can be set  to save the tables in a compressed format.  There is also a preference that will allow for propagate compressed columns.

Look in the General preferences.  

Jim
lala
Level VII

• My data sheets are all compressed.

2024-05-08_20-48-05.png

txnelson
Super User

Is your issue with the size of the data table in RAM memory or in saving the data to disk?

Jim
lala
Level VII

• Yes, save to local hard disk.

• Thanks!
txnelson
Super User

I am not aware of any additional options you can use beyond the preferences you have set.  Other Community members may have additional information.

Jim