Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lich365net
Level I

Automation of Reports for PowerPoint Templates with JMP 15

Hi all,

I run weekly reports on physiochemical attributes. The old process was to manually input data from excel into JMP. After entering the new data into JMP two scripts are run: Run Chart and Control Chart scripts, that are saved to the Data Table. These scripts have limits of precision and formatting applied (or saved into the scripts). Then the charts are copy & pasted one by one into a PowerPoint presentation. 

I was wondering can this process be automated? 

I have added a script that allows me to automatically update the Data Table. 

I would love to be able to simply generate the PowerPoint presentation with just a click of a button instead of having to copy and paste each graph into the report.

Every script I have attempted always lets me down.

I would like to know if anyone could point me in the right direction or if this can even be done (see below).

In my head I would like -
1. A script to update the data table ( I have achieved already)
2. Run scripts for Run Charts and Control Charts so I can update the x axis (drag new data in and drag the old data off the x-axis. Then save the updated graphs

3. Add a final script that would automatically add the updated Run Charts and Control Charts to a formatted PowerPoint presentation.

Thanks for any advice.

am lich vn
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Automation of Reports for PowerPoint Templates with JMP 15

Hi,

You might consider learning Visual Basic and using it as a master script that drives JMP and PowerPoint.  You could still run JSL files within JMP if you already have those written.  JMP has a full Automation interface, and the JMP Automation Reference can be found in the Documentation folder of your JMP install.

This may be a pretty big challenge.  The only other idea I have would be to use JSL to emit the JMP PowerPoint output to disk and then use a Windows (if you are using Windows) command line to open the file into PP.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

jthi
Super User

Re: Automation of Reports for PowerPoint Templates with JMP 15

Besides using Visual Basic to help with the templates you might be also able to use Python if you are more familiar with that (python-pptx). I have used JMP+Python for a bit similar task at some point and it works in high-level something like this:

1. Run script.
  2. JSL script gets data, performs analysis and saves the results as images to specific location.
  3. After saving all images, the script uses Run Command() to run python script with some arguments (image location, save location).
  4. Python script uses the provided arguments to add images, builds tables which will be filled by users, and so on... to create the PowerPoint file in the final location.
-Jarmo