cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Automated Report Creation: From Data Import to Publication ( 2019-EU-TUT-079 )

Level: Beginner
Job Function: Programmer
Brian Corcoran, JMP Director of Research and Development, SAS

JMP is a powerful analysis and visualization tool, but it is often only part of the workflow. Data can reside in a database or in an Excel file. The consumers of your report may not have JMP, and may not want to know the details of producing the end result. Finally, you may need to have this task done every day, automatically. This talk looks at an end-to-end automating of report creation using JMP Query Builder, JSL, GraphBuilder, and publishing to JMP Journals, interactive HTML and even JMP Public with help from the operating system task scheduling mechanism.

Comments

Thanks Brian!  So many will need this.  Chuck

Bass_Masri

Thanks for this Brian,

In a previous role I created something similar using task scheduler to query manufacturing data, create a crontrol chart and save it as a jpg picture to a server every ten minutes. A website page that pointed to the picture would refresh every ten minutes (in the html code) to show near real time statistical process control charts that the manufacturing team could use to monitor production for trends, patterns and any outliers. Very useful application.

Thanks Bass 

aekw0

I would very much like to run through this guidance. However, I cannot go pass the first step, that is setting up a database connection to the worldbank. Can anybody help? (@briancorcoran)

I put the data that I used at the beginning of my demo into my own SQL Server database to simulate how you might pull your own proprietary data from a database.  The world bank does not put public data in SQL Server.  While the World Bank seems to be evolving toward serving up data via web services, the footnote link that I provided in the paper still seems relevant.  If you go to https://datacatalog.worldbank.org/dataset/world-development-indicators you can download the data as an Excel file, and then use the Excel Wizard to bring the table into JMP.  At that point, you can use the Query Builder for JMP Files (under Data Table menu) to continue with the exercise as in the paper.  I imagine the data may be arranged differently, so you may have to adapt to that.  The World Bank seems to change the structure of the data pretty frequently.

I hope this helps,

Brian