cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
waraulston
Level II

Percentages with pareto and data filter

I have a pareto graph where there is a largo portion of the data that I want to exclude. I have the data excluded, and everything works fine, but the percentage on the right side of the pareto graph shows the percentage of the data that is not excluded in the data filter. I would like the pareto to hide the data but include it in the calculation for the percentage of total. I would like to implement this in a script as well.

3 REPLIES 3
statman
Super User

Re: Percentages with pareto and data filter

I'm not sure I understand exactly, but you have three choices: Hide and Exclude, Exclude/Unexclude & Hide/Unhide.  Just use the Hide option.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
waraulston
Level II

The hide function leaves the bar in the plot though. I essentially want the cumulative percentage to show the true percentage based off of all the data, but I want to hide a portion of that data on the plot. In the plot on the left, all the data is shown. On the right, the giant value is filtered out with the data filter. The cumulative percent on the left is percentage of all parts, while the one on the right is the percentage of each out of the failed parts. I want the graph on the right to show the true total percentage while still hiding the large bar (passing parts). In this scenario the most failed part is around 2% of the lot but on the graph on the right it shows around 50% because it is showing the percentage out of failed parts, when I want it to still show percentage out of the whole. I hope this helps clarify what I am looking for. The hide function did not work like I wanted it to.

full pareto.pngpareto with data filtered.png

Maybe  take this approach: Don't hide or exclude any of the data and create your pareto chart as shown on the left. Now adjust the x-axis (I did it by dragging) so that the largest bar is off the axis. Kind of a strange approach, but I think it will yield what you are looking for.

Dan Obermiller