cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SDF1
Super User

Does JMP have a max character length for a file name?

Hi All,

I'm working with a script that has worked just fine in the past, but doesn't seem to be working, and I think it's because the file name is too long.

So, I have a section of script that is supposed to save a PNG file of the report window, and it names the file based on the two column names used in the analysis. Due to the names of the columns and location of the data table, the full name of the file has 157 characters in it, the directory path has 94 and the name of the PNG file has 63 characters. This is the section of code:

pic_name = "Cross_Corr_of_" || ycols[1] || "_with_" || icols[1] || "_" || Plant || ".png";
nwin[Outline Box( 1 )] << Save Picture( dir || pic_name, "png" );

Windows claims that it has the ability to manage file names that are up to ~256 characters, and I'm well below this, so from a Windows perspective, I should be fine. I can't find any documentation that JMP has any character limitations, but it apparently does. If I change the code and just define the pic_name = "test.png", it saves the PNG file to the right directory, no problem. But, when I use the above defined name, then it executes the code, but doesn't end up saving a file.

Does anyone know what the character length limit is? And if so, can this be changed or modified so that I can use my code as intended?

Thanks!,

DS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Does JMP have a max character length for a file name?

Could your filename have some characters which are not allowed?

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

If you make dir some much shorter path and keep pic_name the same, does it save the file successfully?

-Jarmo
SDF1
Super User

Hi @jthi ,

Unfortunately, it doesn't. If I change the dir to my desktop: "C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive - Drive\Desktop\", but keep the pic_name the same it won't do it. If I change the pic name to "test.png", it will save it correctly.

DS

jthi
Super User

Could your filename have some characters which are not allowed?

-Jarmo
SDF1
Super User

Hi @jthi ,

I think that must be it -- I didn't think it would have been an issue, but I think Windows probably doesn't like some of the units that are part of the column names, so I will have to rename the columns. Interesting that Windows doesn't give a warning about unallowed characters, and JMP just carries out the code, but doesn't end up saving the file.

Thanks!,

DS