cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Using JMP® Pro Text Explorer To Improve Patent Intelligence (2023-EU-30MP-1309)

Florent MATHIEU, Chemical Process Engineer, R&D, Michelin

Technology intelligence, especially patent intelligence, is a crucial step in the development of new technologies or new processes. This task is often tedious because it requires reading many patents. JMP Pro's text exploration and predictive modeling tools facilitate patent intelligence. First, patents must be identified as critical for a corpus of patents. The patent title, summary, and claims are analyzed with JMP's Text Explorer to associate each patent with a vector representing its lexical field (the Document Term Matrix). Next, a predictive modeling tool, such as neural networks, is used to predict the probability that a patent is critical. Once the machine learning is complete, it is possible to identify, in a fraction of a second, the relevant patents to be read within an extended patent corpus. Once implemented, this methodology accelerates the patent intelligence process, broadens the search scope and limits the risk of missing critical patents. This presentation demonstrates the process of developing this methodology for patent intelligence.

This  is  [inaudible 00:00:00],  and  I  will  show  you  how  a  JMP  Pro  can  help  you  for  patent  intelligence .  Patent  intelligence  is  very  strategic  for  the  development  of  new  processes  and  new  products .  But  this  task  is  often  a  tedious  job  because  reading  patents  is  very  hard  work For  those  who  have  already  read a  patent , they  know  how  incredible  a  patent is .

The  less  you  read  patents ,  the  better  it  is  for  you This  is  exactly  where  a  much learning  can  help  you .  Using  JMP,  we're  trying  to  mimic  Netflix .  Netflix ,  based  on  which  we  have  already  seen ,  suggests  you  which  one  you  will  like .  For  patent  intelligence,  it's  quite  the  same  thing .   Based  on  which  patent  you  already  read ,  we  will  try  to  predict  which  patent  you  have  to  read .

Before  I  will  show  you  how  to  do  that  with JMP,  I  just  want  to  introduce  the  key strategies  that  I  work  with  patent  intelligence  in Michelin and we can go.  Michelin  is  a  well-known  tire  manufacturer  that  aims  at  producing  best- in- class  performance  tire But  now  the  new   [inaudible 00:01:25]   mission  is  to  produce  the  best  performance  tire,  but  this  time  with  much  sustainable  materials  only The  tire  is  made  of  plenty  of  type  of  materials , such as natural rubber,  plastifiers ,  charge,   synthetic rubber,  and  so  on .

For  now ,  almost  none  of  this  raw  materials  are  sustainable .  They  all  come  from   [inaudible 00:01:56]  resources .   Our  mission  is  to  produce  new  chemical  processes  that  will  produce  these  new  sustainable  materials ,  which  means  new  processes  means  patent  intelligence .  The case  study  of  which  we  will  talk  about  today  is  about  producing  recycled   styrene because styrene  is  used  in synthetic rubber .

To  recycle  styrener, w hat  we  do  is  to  collect  styrene  waste.  Then  we  have  to  precondition  of  styrene  to  remove  all  the   [inaudible 00:02:42].  Then  we  go  through  this  process ,  which  is  developed  with   [inaudible 00:02:48]  Pyrowave.  All  processes  is  composed  of  three  main  parts .  The  first  is  the  liquefaction  of  the  styrene  and  the  removal  of  the   [inaudible 00:03:02].  Then  we  put  the   styrene in  an  industrial  microwave .  The  microwave  is  not  the  kind  that  you  have  in  your  kitchen I  mean ,  it's an  enormous  microwave.  This  microwave  will  cut  the  polymer  chain   into   styrene monomer.

But  at  the  exit  of  the  reactors, the styrene monomer is not  [inaudible 00:03:28] .  It  contains  a  lot  of   [inaudible 00:03:33]   materials.  We  have  to  curify  it.  We  do  that  by  distillation.  [inaudible 00:03:37]  o f  the  distillation,  we  obtain  recycled  styrene ,   which  has  the  same  properties  as   [inaudible 00:03:47]  styrene.  We  can  use  this  recycled  styrene  to  produce  any  kind  of  object  containing  polystyrene  and  especially  tires.

This  is  a  very  innovative  process  and  we  need   a lot of patent intelligence .  But  patent  intelligence  of  two  issues .  The  first  is   expertizing patents  take  a  lot  of  time  and  only  a  few patents  are   [inaudible 00:04:18].   The  second  issue  is  that  we  strongly  depend  on  the  search  engine  and  keyword .   Meaning, we  want  to  search  for  patents  on  or  process .  We  would  type  some  keywords  on  Google  patents  or   [inaudible 00:04:40] ,  whatever.  What  we  would  read  is  only  the  first  page  of  the  search  engine  and  very  rarely  the  second  page ,  but  that  is  sure  that  we  won't  read  all  the  patents  that  appears  after  the  second  pages .

There  is  a  high  risk  of  missing  a  very  important  patent ,  such  as  why  we  need  a  tool  that  will  read  for  us  a  high  amount  of  patent.  That's  what  we  will  do  now  with  JMP .  I  switch  to  JMP .  I  will  show  you  how  to  do  that.  Here  is  a  table  that  I  imported  from   [inaudible 00:05:22].  Here, we have the patent number.  We can identify  each  patents,  we  have the  assignees  here .  We  have  here  the  title  of  the  patent ,  the  abstract .  But  describe  what  contains  patents  and  the  claims.

For  all  the  patents  that  we  have  read ,  we  tied  the  patent  if  it's  critical  or  not .   The  idea  is  now  to  try  to  set  up  a  matching  learning  model  that  will  predict i f  the patent i s  critical or not.  This  table  has  two  parts.  Patents   that have Manually Expertized,  patents  that  we  read  and  some  patents  that  we  haven't  read.  We  will  use  the  second  part .  The  second  part  of  the  presentation .  For  now ,  we  will  build  up  the  model We  will  exclude  this  data  that  we  haven't  read .

The  first  thing  to  do  is  to  use  the  Text  Explorer.  We  will  focus  on  the  abstract  only  for  this  presentation.  Of  course,  we  can  use  claims  and  title  and  whatever .  We  will  use  the  ID here,   the publication number.  Here  we  say ,  okay ,  just  use  settings,  English.  We  say  the  minimum  character   per words  is  three .  We  will  use  stemming .  I  will  tell  you  what  is   stemming just  late.  Here  we  will  use  basic  words . No ,  I  just  have  to  launch  to   [inaudible 00:07:14].

Here  is  what  we  have .  On  the  left  part  of  this  screen,  you  have  a  list  of  the  terms .  JMP Pro has red  in  the  abstract  corner . Here  is  the  frequency  of  each  them  appears  in  the   [inaudible 00:07:33].  Here  you  can  notice  what  is  telling ,  for  example ,  for  materials .  If  I  just  say ,  okay ,  material  and  materials  is  the  same  meaning.  We  group  all  the  word  by  the  root  of  the  world .

On  the  right  part  of  the  screen , what  we  have  is  phrase.  Phrases  two  or  three  or  four  words  that  can  have  meaning .  For  example ,  pyrolysis  oil  has  a  meaning  and  the  meaning  is  different .  If  we  separate  pyrolysis  in  oil ,  so  what  we  do ,  if you select the  phrases  that  hasn't  been ,  which  is  interesting  and  can  say ,  "Okay, a  trace ."

Now what we have done c onsider  a  phrase  as  a  term .  For  example ,  this  one,  hydrocarbons  [inaudible 00:08:32]  is  now  considered  as  a  term .  We  can  do  some  more  cleaning ,  for  example ,  to  provide .  Provide  does  not  give  you  information  on  what   [inaudible 00:08:46]   patents .

What  we  can  do  is  right-click  say ,  "Okay ,  this  is  a  stop  word ."  I  don't  want  to  take ,  provide ,  providing or  whatever  in  [inaudible 00:08:56].  We  removed  it .  With  JMP Pro ,  you  can  manage  all  the  stop  word  on  all  the  phrases  here .  As  you  can  see ,  all  the  stop  words   are stored here  in  local .  But  if  you  want  to  study  by  default ,  we  can  just put it in user.

I  do  not  have  to  exclude  that  one .  Each  time  I  will  use the text explorer .  I  can  also  export  and  import  all  the stop word s,  phrases  and records .  Now,  the  first  tool  that  we  will  use  to  analyze  patents  and  try  to  predict  if patents  is  critical  is  term selection.  What  we  want  is  to  predict  if  the  patents  is  critical  or  not .   I   want patent  critical .  Here  is  some  settings ,  and  this  only  settings  that  we  will  change  here  is  to  use  low  frequency  of  term  instead  of  [inaudible 00:10:03]. Now, I click on Run .

Here,  we  have  the  first  model .   Now, here  is  a  result  of  the  model  are  here.  What  we  can  do  see  is  RSquare  is  not  that  bad  because  it's  almost   over five. You got  misclassification  rate  is  also  very  well .  I'm  in  less  than  1%  of patent  are  misclassified .   So this is pretty good.  Here  we  have  all  the  term  that  the  model  used  to  predict  patents  is  critical  or  not .   We  can  sort  it  by  the  most  important   term to  [inaudible 00:10:50].

If  I  click  on  polystyrene ,  which  is  not  surprising , you  can  see  all  the   patents  where  the  word  polystyrene  appears  with  very  useful  [inaudible 00:11:04]   how  the  model  builds  is  built  on  the  left  table .  What  we  have  is  the  prediction  of  the  model .  Here ,  we  can  sort  by  the  maximum  probability  of  being  critical .  Then  if  I  click  on  it ,  I  can  read  why  patents  is  critical  for  us  or  not  and  then  can  compare  if  it's  actually  critical  for  those  that  there's  a  probability  to  be  critical  by   [inaudible 00:11:34]  is  high .  A ctually,  it  is  critical .

T here  is  some  patents  that  are  actually  not  critical ,  but  the  models ,  they  maybe  could  be  critical.  We  should  read  it  because  maybe  we  were  wrong  when  we  read  the  first  time .  By  rereading  this  patent ,  we  can  find  some  misunderstanding  that  we  don't  the  first  time.  The  first  two  that  we  can  do  for  patents ,  classification  and  prediction .  But  from  my  point  of  view ,  this  is  not  enough  because  we  are  not  confident  if  this  model  will  predict  well  and  that  [inaudible 00:12:18]  if  patents  will  be  critical  or  not .

To  do  that  and  to  improve  also  the  RSquare,   we  will  use  another   machine learning model.  To  use  machine  learning  model ,  what  we  will  do  is  to  export  the  Document  Term M atrix  which  contains  all  the  numerical  data  and  into  this  DTM. Each patent  is  represented  by  all  the  frequency  of  the term .  I  already  did  that  before .  We  will  just  have  a  look  on  the  details  of  the  abstract.   [inaudible 00:13:04],  which  has  something  like  400  columns .

We   can just  use  a   cell plot  to  better  visualize  what  it  looks  like the DTM. Well, it only  takes  the  20  most  frequent terms  and  here  when it's green ,  it  means  t his term  does  not  appear  in  the  patents .  W hen it's red, it appears  a  lot  of  time .  Here  in  blue , you   have the  critical  patents .  If  I  click  on  all  the  critical  buttons , the  aims  of  the  machine  learning  model  will  be  to  understand  which  patent  leads  to  critical  patents.  Before  using  machine learning model,  we  will  have  to  do  two  things  which  are  very  important .

The  first  thing  is data of  [inaudible 00:14:06].  I  mean ,  the  number  of  critical  patents  is  very  small  compared  to  the  number  of  patents  that  we  have.  It's  like  searching  for  a  needle  in  a  haystack.  We  have  to  rebalance  all  of  the  data .  To  do  that , what  we  did  is  to  use  a  frequency  critical.  The  freq critical  has  a  formula  which  is  inversely  proportional  of  the  number  of  time  patents  as  critical  or  not .  Then  the  second  thing that   we will  do  is  to  use   the validation steps. Using  validations  who  will  have  better  confidence  in  the  predictability  of  the  model .  A lso ,  we  set  a  frequency  in  validation .  Now  we  have  pretty  good  data .  We  chose   [inaudible 00:15:06]   validation  set .

Now,  we  can  learn   to machine  learning  model .  I  will  use  first  the  neural  network .   What's  the  first  thing  that  I  want  is  to  predict  if  the  patent  is   [inaudible 00:15:23].   I  will  use  all  those  factors, the DTM I  do  not  forget  to  use  the  frequency  to  balance  the  data and the  validation  column  to  be  sure  that  the  model  is  predictable  or  not.  Let's  go .

Now ,  I  will  just  configure  some  parameters  and  we  will  use   [inaudible 00:15:50]. That's all.  Now, the model is fitting.  We  would  just  wait  [inaudible 00:15:58]   to  have  model . Here  we  are.  That's it for  [inaudible 00:16:08] .  If  you  remember  the RS quares  that  we  had  on  the  first column,  it  was  the   0.5 Now ,  with  this  neural  network ,  we  have  0.94  as   RSquare.  For  the  validation side,   we are 0.86.  So  big  improvement.

This  classification  rate  is  required  the same  but  we  have  rebalance  the  data.  Now, i t  is  pretty  warm .  Here  we  of  the  confusion  matrix  and  you  can  see  that  actual  patents  are  predicted  as  actual. For the validation side,  still the  same .  A lmost  a   [inaudible 00:16:56].  Now  what  we  can  do  is  to  save  the  formula  of  the  model .  I  have  already  done  that .  Here  is  the  problem .  Then  the  formula  predicts  the  probability  to  be  critical  or  not  critical .

We  can  now  r einclude all  the  data that w e  excluded  to  apply  this  formula  model ,  and  patents  that  we  haven't  read.  We  just  wait  for  them  to  calculate  probability .  Here  we  are .   The  prediction  of  the  neural  network.  Here  is  what  we  are.  Blue, it's the  patent  that  we  have  read  and  [inaudible 00:18:01] the patents that are  actually  critical. I n   orange, the  patents  that  we  didn't  read  but   [inaudible 00:18:15 ]  has  worked  for  us .

As  you  can  see ,  the  probability  to  be  critical  predicted  by  the  model  for  all  the  critical  patents  is  pretty  hard   [inaudible 00:18:27] does  a g ood  job .  Now ,  if  we  want  to  know  which  patent  to  read ,  we  just  have  to  select  those  patents and  take  a  subset  of  it.  Here  we  have  a  short  list  of  very  important  model.  Here ,  if  you  see  which  kind  of  patent  we  have ,  we  have  a  lot  of  patents  that  are  important  for  us .   They   [inaudible 00:19:03] because  styrene  purification  or  I  don't  know .

Maybe  this one,  it  is  recycled ,  it's  styrene monomer.  That's   patent our  very  important   for us.  When  you  read  all  of  this  patent ,  in  fact ,  we  had  a  very  good  surprise.  Many  of  those  patents is  [inaudible 00:19:29]  for  us  now .  But  sometimes  it  could  happen  and the  model  is  [inaudible 00:19:36]  because  the  word that  was  used  for  the  mo del aren't  precise .  Maybe  a  good  thing  is  to  set  a  different  kind  of  model.  That's  what  I  did .

I  set  a  model  like  Lasso,  Boosted Tree or   Neural Networks  that  take  into  account  not  only  the  abstract  but  also   [inaudible 00:20:07].  We  can  also  include  eyepieces .  I  did  an  ensemble  model ,  which  is  an  image  of  all  those  patents.  Now  the  selection  is  more  precise.  We  can  also  see  what  patents  we  have  in  just  a  subset .  Now  there's  a  chance  to  be  very  critical  is  very  important The  number  of  critical  patents  that  we  have  to  read  is  smaller  than  with  only  one  model.  We  increase  the  performance  of  the  machine learning  model .

Now  let's  go  back  to  the  presentation.  What  we  did  is  we  imported  data  from  all  the  intelligence .  We  converted  into  textual  data  and  we  set  a  matching  model .  Here  is  a  method  that  we  use the   [inaudible 00:21:08] method.  We  did  manual  ranking  of  patents  on  the  small  corpus  by  hand.  We  cleaned  up  and  import  some  data  into   JMP.  Then  we  converted   the  textual  data  into  matrix.  We  created  a validation set. We balance all the data   using  frequency  field.  Then we also machine  learning  models  such  as  Lasso, N eural  Network, Boosted T ree.  We  did  an ensemble  model .  It  overwrites  all  the  supervised  machine  learning  models  that  we  set  up.  That  was  the  first  step.

The  second  step  was  the  production .  We  use  that  model  on  a  wide  corpus  of  patents  that  we  have  in   [inaudible 00:21:56].  We  can  import  all  of  the  patents  the  same  way  as  the  first  step  in  converting.  We  do  some  prediction .  Now  we  are  able  to  select  only  a  few  patents   that are  probably  critical . The  number  of  buttons  that  we  will  read  is  quite  small ,  and  we  have  high  chance  to  read  only  critical  patents  and  to  spend  time  on  the  good  patent .

The  conclusion  of  this  work  is   machine learning can automate  time- consuming  task .   It's a tool that  will  help  you ,  but  under  no  circumstances  it  will  repress  human  extra time .  This  pathology  is  very  useful   applied patents  and  could  be  probably  applied  to  many  kinds  of  textual  data.  Using  JMP Pro, y ou  will  see  that  you  have  seen  that  it's  very  easy  to  do  that  and   JMP Pro is  very  powerful  program f or  setting  up  machine  learning like that.

What  we  can  say  is  this  machine-learning  model  just  mimic  our  choice.  I f  we  want  to  go  further  or   if  we include   new patents  that  are  critical  either  we  will  need  to  rebuild  a  new  model  or  try  another  approach  which  is  based  on  deploying  on  whatever .

I  finished  the  presentation   and  I  hope  you  enjoyed  it .   I  hope  it  will  give  inspiration  for  future  work ,  maybe  on  patents  or  any  textual   [inaudible 00:23:48].   Do not hesitate  to  contact  me  on  the  job  community  or  to  post  some comments.

Thank  you  for  watching .  Bye- bye .

Comments

I love it !!