cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Measurement Systems Analysis for Curve Data Using Functional Random Effects Models (2023-EU-30MP-1316)

Colleen McKendry, Senior Statistical Writer, JMP Group Inc

This presentation is an extension of a case study presented at a Discovery conference a few years ago, where a client’s protocols required a Gauge R&R study to be performed before running a functional response designed experiment. As in a standard Gauge R&R study, there were several Parts, several Operators, and several replicates per combination of Part and Operator. However, in this case, the test equipment returned a set of curves as the response instead of a single point. A functional random effects model is appropriate for this type of data. In this application, the functional model is expanded using basis splines and then expressed as a mixed model, where variance components can be estimated using standard methods. This is done using the Functional Data Explorer and Fit Mixed platforms. Due to the functional model expansion, multiple variance components may be associated with each of the Part, Operator, and Part*Operator terms. It is shown that these variance components can be summed and written in the form of a standard Gauge R&R computation, therefore providing a Functional Gauge R&R analysis.

Hi,  my  name  is  Colleen  McKendry,  and  I  am  a  senior  statistical  writer  at  JMP,  but  I  also  like  to  experiment  with  functional  data.  This  presentation  is  an  extension  of  when  Flash  was  inspired  by  a  presentation  that  was  originally  done  in  2020  titled  Measurement  Systems  Analysis  for  Curve  Data.

There  was  also  a  slightly  earlier  presentation  at  a  JSM  conference  in  2019.  My  talk  is  essentially  how  I  would  go  about  solving  the  problems  that  were  presented  in  those  original  papers.  I'll  discuss  them  a  little  bit  more  later  too.

First,  a  little  bit  of  background  on  measurement  systems  analysis.  MSA  studies  determine  how  well  a  process  can  be  measured  prior  to  studying  the  process  itself.  So  it  answers  the  question,  how  much  measurement  variation  is  contributing  to  the  overall  process  variation.

Specifically,  the  Gage  R&R  method,  which  I'll  be  using  later  in  this  analysis,  determines  how  much  variation  is  due  to  operation  variation  versus  measurement  variation.  These  types  of  studies  are  important  and  they're  often  required  to  be  performed  prior  to  any  type  of  statistical  process  control  or  design  of  experiments.

A  Gage  R&R  classical  MSA  model  is  shown  here.  For  a  given  measurement,  your  response,  Y  sub  I K  is  the  Kth  measurement  on  the  Ith  part.  In  this  model,  you  have  a  mean  term  and  a  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  part  and  your  error term.

The  random  effect  in  the  error  term  are  normally  distributed  random  variables  with  mean  zero  and  some  corresponding  variance  components.  This  is  simply  a  random  effects  model,  and  we  can  use  that  model  to  estimate  the  variance  components,  and  then  use  those  variance  component  estimates  to  calculate  the  %  gage  R&R  using  the  formula  that's  shown  on  the  screen.

Here  we  have  the  same  model  but  the  crossed  version.  For  your  response,  Y  sub  IJK ,  that's  going  to  be  the  Kth  measurement  made  by  the  Jth  operator  on  the on  the  Ith  part.  A gain,  we  have  a  mean  term,  a  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  part,  and  now  we  have  a  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  operator,  and  a  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  cross  term,  which  is  the  interaction  between  the  operator  and  the  part,  and  of  course,  our  error  term.

All  of  these  random  effects  are  normally  distributed  random  variables  with  mean  zero  and  some  corresponding  variance  component.  So  just  like  in  the  classical  model,  this  is  just  a  random  effects  model,  and  we  can  estimate  the  variance  components  and  use  them  to  calculate  the  %  gage  R&R.

In  both  of  the  models  that  I  just  described,  the  response  or  the  measurement  was  a  single  point.  But  what  happens  if  this  isn't  the  case?  What  if  your  measurement  is  something  like  a  curve  instead?  This  was  the  motivation  behind  those  initial  presentations  in  2019  and  2020  that  I  talked  about.

There  was  a  client  of  JMP  that  was  a  supplier  of  automotive  parts,  and  they  had  a  customer  that  specified  that  a  part  needed  to  have  a  specific  force  by  distance  curve.  Obviously,  the  client  wanted  to  match  their  customer  specified  curve,  and  so  they  wanted  to  run  a  functional  response  DOE  analysis  in  JMP  to  design  their  product  to  do  that.

However,  before  spending  the  money  on  this  type  of  experiment,  they  first  wanted  to  perform  an  MSA  on  their  ability  to  actually  measure  the  parts  force.  There's  a  lot  more  details  in  the  paper  noted  at  the  bottom,  so  if  you're  interested  in  more  of  the  background,  please  see  that.

This  is  what  the  data  looks  like.  We  have  force  on  the  Y  axis  and  distance  on  the  X  axis,  and  the  curves  are  colored  by  part.  It  looks  like  there  are  only  10  curves,  but  there  are  actually  250  curves  in  total.  It's  just  that  a  lot  of  the  curves  are  clustered  together.

In  the  data,  there  were  10  parts,  five  operators,  and  five  replications  per  part  operator  combination.  I  just  wanted  to  note  that  this  is  simulated  data,  and  it's  simulated  to  look  similar  to  the  actual  data,  but  that  we  aren't  sharing  any  proprietary  data  here.

A  few  function  characteristics  that  I  wanted  to  point  out,  the  functions  are  actually  all  different  lengths,  so  they  have  a  different  number  of  observations  in  their  curve.  Although  the  functions  were  collected  at  equally  spaced  time  intervals,  they  were  not  collected  at  equally  spaced  distances.  That  means  there's  no  true  replication  in  terms  of  distance.

When  this  project  was  first  presented,  one  of  the  original  ideas  thrown  out  was  whether  we  could  pick  a  set  of  distance  locations  and  do  a  standard  gage  R&R  MSA  at  each  of  those  locations  and  then  summarize  that  information  for  a  final  result.

The  problem  with  that  is  that  if  we  picked  a  specific  location,  there  wasn't  a  guarantee  that  there  would  be  an  observation  for  each  of  those  curves  because  there  wasn't  replication  for  the  distance.  Another  problem  that's  more  generalized  is  with  this  type  of  curve  data,  doing  point  wise  analysis  like  that  does  not  take  into  account  the  within  function  correlation.

Luckily,  there's  a  whole  field  of  statistics  dedicated  to  this  type  of  data  called  functional  data  analysis.  There  are  a  variety  of  techniques  to  handle  unequally  spaced  data.  A  lot  of  those  techniques  are  now  available  in  JMP  through  the  Functional  Data  Explorer  platform.

The  question  became,  can  functional  data  methods  be  combined  with  traditional  MSA  methods  to  perform  some  type  of  functional  measurement  systems  analysis?  This  was  the  solution  that  was  presented  in  the  older  papers  that  I  referenced.  This  is  just  going  to  be  a  little  bit  of  a  review  of  what  they  did.

First,  a  penalized  spline  model  was  fit  to  estimate  the  part  force  functions  and  so  there  were  10  functions  that  were  estimated,  averaged  over  operator  and  replicates.  Then  these  functions  were  subtracted  from  the  original  force  functions  to  obtain  a  set  of  residual  force  functions.  These  residual  functions  no  longer  contain  any  variation  due  to  the  part.  All  of  the  variation  in  those  residuals  were  due  to  the  operator  and  the  replicates.

They  then  fit  a  random  effects  model  to  the  residuals to  obtain  the  corresponding  variance  components  from  the  model.  A  graphical  method  was  then  used  to  find  the  smallest  part  variance  to  use  as  an  estimate  for  the  part  variance  component.

This  was  then  used  to  calculate  a  type  of  worst  case  scenario  %  gage  R&R.  This  method  they  worked  fairly  well.  They  got  results  that  made  sense  and  the  client  was  happy.  But  this  was  just  a  generalization  of  a  standard  MSA  with  some  functional  components  sprinkled  in.

When  I  looked  at  this  data  and  when  I  looked  at  the  problem,  I  wanted  to  try  to  take  a  more  traditional  functional  approach.  I  have  a  background  in  functional  data  analysis,  and  that  is  what  my  dissertation  was  on,  specifically  functional  mixed  models.  There  was  a  chapter  in  my  dissertation  dedicated  to  estimating  and  testing  the  variance  components  from  functional  mixed  models.

I  did  that  by  expanding  the  functional  model  using  eigen  function  or  basis  function  expansions  and  rewriting  it  as  a  mixed  model  and  then  using  known  techniques  to  estimate  those  variance  components.  I  started  to  think,  could  I  use  the  same  type  of  technique?

I  don't  need  a  full  mixed  model.  I  only  have  random  effects  here.  Can  I  create  a  functional  random  effects  model  for  the  part  and  operator  variance  components?

This  is  what  I  came  up  with  for  a  functional  MSA  across  models,  since  we  do  have  an  operator  term.  For  functional  models,  they're  set  up  a  little  bit  differently  because  they're  all  based  around  the  input.  In  this  case,  your  response,  Y  sub  IJK  is  the  Kth  replicate  made  by  the  Jth  operator  on  the  ith  part,  but  this  time  at  a  particular  distance,  D.

We  have  a  functional  mean  term,  a  functional  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  part,  a  functional  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  operator,  and  a  functional  random  effect  that  corresponds  to  the  cross  term  and  our  error  term.

In  this  method,  I  subtract  the  mean  term  over,  and  so  I'm  left  with  this  set  of  residuals,  and  that's  when  I'm  going  to  model.  This  here  represents  the  eigen  function  expansion  of  the  functional  model.  We're  going  to  have  capital  B  eigen  functions and  sum  all  of  those  parts  together  to  create  this  big  long  random  effects  model.

But  for  one  eigen  function,  what  is  shown  in  these  brackets  is  the  expansion.  For  each  functional  random  effect,  it's  split  into  two  parts.  We  have  a  functional  part  and  then  just  a  regular  part.  The  functional  part  is  taken  care  of  by  evaluating  those  eigen  functions.  Then  we  have  just  standard  random  terms  for  the  part,  the  operator,  and  the  cross  term.

Then  what  this  essentially  does  is  you  build  this  long  random  effects  model,  and  then  you  have  a  number  of  variance  components  for  each  term.  For  the  MSA,  there  will  now  be  three  sets  of  capital  B  variance  components.  There's  going  to  be  capital  B  part  variance  components,  capital  B  operator  variance  components,  and  capital  B  cross  term  variance  components.

Because  of  the  way  eigen  functions  are  structured,  they  are  known  to  be  independent  and  so  we  can  assume  that  based  on  how  we  structured  the  model,  all  of  these  variance  components  are  actually  independent  from  each  other  also.  That  means  we  can  sum  them  together  to  obtain  these  functional  variance  components.

Since  we're  just  summing  them  together,  we  can  also  substitute  them  into  the  formula  for  the  %  gage  R&R  and  compute  that  just  like  we  did  in  the  standard  models.

How  do  I  actually  do  this  in  JMP?  Well,  it's  a  multi  step  process.  I'm  going  to  briefly  outline  it  here,  and  then  I'm  going  to  do  a  demo  for  you.  First,  I'm  going  to  estimate  the  mean  curve  in  FDE  and  obtain  the  residual  curves.  I'm  then  going  to  model  those  residual  curves  serves  also  an  FDE  to  obtain  the  eigen  functions  needed  for  the  eigen  function  expansion.

I'm  going  to  save  those  eigen  functions  to  the  original  data  table  and  use  them  in  FitMix.  Using  FitMix,  I'm  going  to  fit  a  random  effects  model  to  the  original  data  using  nesting  and  the  eigen  functions  to  define  the  appropriate  model  specifications.

Hopefully,  that  all  makes  a  little  bit  more  sense  once  I  demo  it.  We're  going  to  exit  out  of  here.  Here  is  our  data,  and  we  have  a  column  for  the  ID  variable,  a  column  for  the  part  variable  that  defines  the  10  parts,  the  operator,  which  defines  the  five  operators,  our  distance  column,  and  our  force  column.

Just  as  a  reminder,  this  is  what  the  data  looked  like.  My  first  step  is  to  estimate  the  mean  function  of  the  force  curves  and  then  use  that  to  obtain  some  residuals.  To  do  that,  I'm  going  to  model  the  force  functions  in  FDE.  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  Analyze  menu,  Specialize  Modeling  and  select  Functional  Data  Explorer.

I'm  going  to  define  force  as  my  output,  distance  as  my  input.  Then  because  I  want  the  mean  function  averaged  over  all  of  the  IDs,  I'm  not  going  to  specify  an  ID  function  here.  I'm  going  to  click  Okay.  We  have  our  basic  intro  FDE  report.  But  I  want  to  fit  a  model,  so  I  can  go  to  the  red  triangle  menu,  models.

Technically,  you  could  fit  any  of  those  models.  I  just  chose  a  B  spline  because  it's  first,  it's  easy,  and  it'll  just  take  a  few  seconds  to  run  here.  Okay,  so  here's  our  model  fit.  There's  a  red  line  here  that's  pretty  hard  to  see,  but  that  is  what  is  the  mean  function,  the  estimated  mean  function.  I'm  going  to  give  you  a  better  picture  of  that  in  a  minute  or  so.

But  I  actually  want  to  save  the  functions  for  this  meme.  I  can  do  that  by  going  to  this  Function  Summaries  report.  I  can  click  the  red  triangle  menu  and  select  Customize  Function  Summaries.  I  only  want  the  same  formulas,  so  I'm  going  to  deselect  them  all  and  then  reselect  that  one  and  click  OK  and  Save.

I  get  a  new  data  table  with  what  appears  to  be  this  lonely  little  entry  here.  There  is  a  hidden  column,  so  I'm  going  to  unhide  that.  We  have  a  distance  column  and  then  we  have  this  force  mean  functional  formula.  I'm  going  to  take  a  look  at  that,  what  that  actually  looks  like.

When  we  look  at  the  formula  column,  we  can  see  that  this  is  a  function  of  distance.  For  any  value  of  distance,  this  is  going  to  be  evaluated  to  give  what  the  mean  function  is  at  that  distance.  This  formula  column  can  be  put  into  any  data  table  that  also  contains  a  distance  column.  That's  exactly  what  we're  going  to  do.

We're  going  to  make  sure  this  is  highlighted.  We're  going  to  right  click  and  select  copy  column  properties.  Then  we're  going  to  find  our  way  back  to  our  original  data  table.  Double  click  to  create  a  new  column.  I'm  going  to  right  click  here  and  do  paste  column  properties.  Now  we  have  the  mean  force  evaluated  at  every  level,  every  distance  value  in  our  data  table.

We  can  use  that  to  now  find  our  residual  function.  I'm  going  to  double  click  again  to  create  a  new  column  and  title  it  Force  Resids.  Now  I'm  going  to  create  my  own  formula  column  that  is  simply  going  to  be  force  minus  the  mean  force.  I'm  going  to  click  OK.  Now  we  have  our  set  of  residuals  and  this  is  what  it  looks  like.

In  the  top  graph,  these  light  gray  curves  are  the  original  functions  from  the  force  column.  This  red  line  is  the  same  red  line  that  I  tried  to  show  you  in  the  FDE  report  that  was  hard  to  see,  but  this  is  what  that  was.  That's  the  mean  function.

Then  the  bottom  graph  in  green  shows  the  residual  curves.  These  are  the  curves  that  I'm  going  to  use  to  proceed  with  my  analysis.  My  next  step  is  going  to  be  to  model  the  residual  curves  using  FDE  to  obtain  the  eigen  functions  that  I  need  for  the  model  expansion.  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  Analyze  menu  again,  select  Specialized  Modeling,  Functional  Data  Explorer.

This  time  I'm  going  to  specify  the  residuals  as  the  output,  distance  as  the  input,  and  I  am  going  to  specify  my  ID  column  this  time.  I'm  going  to  click  OK.  We  have  our  initial port  here,  and  now  I  want  to  fit  a  model  to  this  data.  I  go  to  the  red  triangle  menu  to  look  at  the  models.

Again,  technically,  you  can  fit  any  of  these  models.  In  my  experimentation,  I  found  that  these  top  three,  they  took  a  really  long  time  to  fit,  and  they  didn't  provide  super  great  fits  for  what  I  needed.  The  wavelets  models  and  the  direct  functional  PCA  were  much,  much  quicker  and  while  also  providing  better  fits.

The  caveat  with  those  two  models  is  that  they  require  the  data  to  be  on  an  evenly  spaced  grid.  A s  I  mentioned,  when  I  introduced  the  data,  that's  not  the  case.  However,  in  FDE,  we  have  some  data  processing  steps  that  help  us  manipulate  our  data  a  little  bit.  We  can  go  to  the  clean  up,  reduce,  and  this  first  tab  is  what  we  want,  and  we  can  use  that.

Now  that  just  puts  it  so  that  every  distance  value  has  an  observation,  has  a  force  residuals  observation.  Now  we  can  go  ahead  and  fit  one  of  those  models.  I  just  chose  direct functional  PCA.  A s  you  can  see,  it  was  very  quick.  The  fitting  was  super  fast.

This  functional  PCA  report  is  where  we're  going  to  get  all  of  our  information  that  we  need.  But  I  was  just  going  to  scroll  down  to  look  at  the  data  fit  a  little  bit.  We  can  see  that  these  look  pretty  good.  Then  if  we  look  at  the  diagnostic  plots,  these  are  on  the  diagonal,  the  residuals  look  good.  This  looks  like  a  pretty  good  fit,  and  I  can  use  this  information  from  the  Functional  PCA.

In  the  Functional  PCA  report,  we  have  a  table  of  eigen values  and  then  these  graphs  of  our  shape  functions.  The  shape  functions  are  actually  our  eigen  functions.  They're  just  called  shape  functions  in  JMP.  How  these  functions  work  is  that  your  original  input,  so  distance,  is  on  the  X  axis,  and  then  the  eigen  function  evaluation  is  on  the  Y  axis.

For  any  distance  D,  you're  going  to  have  an  evaluation  at  eigen  function 1 ,  an  evaluation  at  eigen  function  2,  and  so  on.  You  can  use  the  eigen  functions  to  get...  You  can  use  a  linear  combination  of  the  eigen  functions  to  get  an  estimate  of  the  original  functions.

The  eigenvalues  table  gives  you  an  idea  of  how  much  %  of  the  overall  data  variation  you're  taking  into  account  when  you  use  a  certain  number  of  eigenvalue,  eigen  function  pairings.  In  this  case,  the  first  eigenvalue  and  eigen  function  pairing  actually  accounts  for  99.9  %  of  the  total  variation  in  the  data,  which  is  actually  pretty  incredible.

This  is  important  in  determining  how  many  eigen  functions  you're  going  to  use  for  the  basis  expansion.  Typically  when  you're  selecting  a  number  of  eigen  functions  to  use,  you  don't  actually  want  to  use  all  of  the  eigen  functions  that  you're  given.

You  want  to  use  the  least  number  of  eigen  functions  that  still  account  for  an  adequate  amount  of  variation  in  the  data.  This  is  because  the  more  eigen  functions  you  use,  the  bigger  your  random  effects  model  is  going  to  be,  and  it's  going  to  be  harder  to  estimate.

What  does  accounting  for  an  adequate  amount  of  variation  in  the  data  mean?  It  can  mean  different  things  to  different  people  in  different  fields.  Typically,  when  I'm  working  with  this,  I  have  used  in  the  past  about  90 %  as  a  cut  off.  If  I  was  just  doing  this  analysis  to  do  the  analysis,  I  might  only  take  this  first  eigen  function  since  it  explains  so  much,  and  run  with  that.

For  demonstration  purposes,  I'm  going  to  take  the  first  two  just  so  you  can  see  what  the  model  expansion  looks  like  using  two  eigen  functions.  To  save  these,  I'm  going  to  go  to  this  Function  Summaries  report  again,  click  on  the  red  triangle  menu  and  select  Customize  Function  Summaries.

I  just  mentioned  that  I'm  only  going  to  save  two  of  them,  so  I  want  to  enter  two  here.  I'm  going  to  deselect  these  all  again  and  only  save  the  formulas.  I  can  click  OK  and  Save  and  I  have  another  new  data  table  now.  The  things  that  I  need  are  actually  hidden.  We  want  to  look  for  these  force  resids  shape  functions  which  represent  our  eigen  functions.

We  can  unhide  those  so  that  they're  now  included  in  our  data  table.  We  can  take  a  look  at  these  formula  columns.  Just  like  with  our  mean  function,  this  is  simply  a  function  of  distance.  For  any  value  of  distance,  these  formulas  are  going  to  give  you  what  the  eigen  function  value  is  at  that  distance.

Also,  like  the  main  function,  we  can  put  these  formula  columns  into  any  data  table  that  also  contains  a  distance  column.  That's  what  we're  going  to  do  again.  We're  going  to  put  these  formula  columns  into  our  original  data  table.

We're  going  to  make  sure  both  of  these  are  highlighted  and  right  click  and  select  copy  column  properties.  Again,  find  our  way  back  to  our  original  data  table.  I  want  to  add  two  new  columns  to  my  data  table.  I'm  going  to  go  to  calls,  new  columns.  We're  just  going  to  title  them  E1  and  2  to  represent  the  eigen  functions.  I  want  to  add  two  columns  and  I  want  to  add  them  as  a  group.  I'll  click  okay.

Then  with  these  two  new  columns  highlighted,  I'm  going  to  right  click  and  select  paste  column  properties.  Now  we  have  our  eigen  functions  evaluated  for  every  distance.

Just  to  give  you  an  idea,  this  is  what  they  look  like  and  it's  the  same  graph.  It's  almost  the  same  graph  as  what  was  in  the  FDE  report.  We're  just  taking  what  was  graphically  there  and  now  we  have  the  numbers  for  everything,  for  every  value  here.

Now  we  want  to  do  the  eigen  function  expansion  and  expand  our  functional  model.  But  what  does  that  model  actually  look  like  when  you  have  two  eigen  functions?  I'm  going  to  hop  back  over  to  my  slides  real  quick  and  show  you  what  the  model  expansion  looks  like  when  capital  B  equals  2.

I  have  this  divided  into  a  section  for  the  part,  the  operator,  and  the  cross  term.  Then  within  each  of  these  sections,  we  see  that  we  have  a  term  that  involves  eigen  function  one  and  a  term  that  involves  eigen  function  two.  Essentially,  this  means  that  we're  going  to  have  two  variance  components  for  part,  two  variance  components  for  the  operator,  and  two  variance  components  for  the  cross  term.

Now  I'm  going  to  go  back  to  my  data  table.  I  want  to  fit  this  model  using  Fit  Model.  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  Analyze  menu  and  select  Fit  Model.  I  want  to  specify  my  personality  as  the  mixed  model.  Now  I'm  going  to  specify  the  residuals  as  my  Y.  Then  I'm  going  to  move  down  to  the  effects  section.

In  the  fixed  effects  tab,  I  don't  have  any  fixed  effects  and  I  also  don't  have  an  intercept  because  I  mean  term  over  originally.  Now  I'm  going  to  move  to  the  random  effects  tab.  Here  is  where  I'm  going  to  use  the  eigen  functions  and  the  part  and  operator  variables  and  nest  them  in  an  appropriate  way  to  define  the  model  that  I  just  showed  you.

We  can  add  both  of  these  eigen  functions  and  we're  going  to  select  these  and  also  select  part.  We're  going  to  nest  part  in  each  eigen  function.  Then  we're  going  to  do  the  same  thing  for  operator  and  the  same  thing  for  the  cross  term.  That's  how  we're  going  to  define  our  model.

The  last  thing  I  want  to  do  in  this  launch  window  is  deselect  the  Unbounded  Variance  Components  option.  When  this  is  selected,  it  means  that  you  can  have  negative  estimates  or  variance  components,  and  I  don't  want  that.

Any  negative  estimates  are  just  going  to  be  set  to  zero.  Now  I  can  run  this,  and  we  have  our  report  here.  This  is  the  table  that's  going  to  give  us  our  estimates  that  we  need  to  calculate  the  %  gage  R&R,  but  I'm  going  to  poke  around  the  report  a  little  bit  first.

This  actual  by  predicted  plot  looks  really  weird  at  first,  but  it  makes  sense  when  you  think  about  it.  Since  we  don't  have  any  fixed  effects  or  an  intercept,  when  we  don't  take  the  random  effects  into  account,  our  estimate  for  everything  is  just  zero.  When  we  do  take  those  random  effects  into  account,  we  see  that  the  actual  by  conditional  predicted  plot  looks  a  lot  better  and  that  these  observations  fall  pretty  well  along  this  diagonal.

We  can  also  take  a  look  at  the  conditional  residual  plots,  and  we  can  see  that  they're  pretty  small  and  they're  centered  around  zero.  We  do  have  some  deviation  from  this  line  here,  but  there's  nothing  super  crazy  about  the  residuals.  I  feel  okay  about  using  these  estimates  to  calculate  the  percdent  gage  R&R.  I  actually  pulled  this  table  and  put  it  back  into  my  slides.  I'm  going  to  go  back  to  my  slides  for  the  remainder  of  the  presentation.

Here's  that  data  table,  not  data  table,  the  report  table  that  was  just  there.  As  you  can  see,  you  have  a  variance  component,  S2  variance, components,  estimates  for  part,  two  for  operator,  and  two  for  the  cross  term.  A s  I  mentioned  when  I  was  describing  the  model,  we  can  sum  these  together  to  calculate  the  functional  variance  components.

These  specific  numbers  aren't  as  important  in  this  analysis  as  what  you  get  when  you  put  them  into  the  formula  for  the  %  gage  R&R.  So  when  I  do  that,  we  get  a  %  gage  R&R  of  3.3030.  That  is  what  Baren  team  defines  as  an  acceptable  measurement  system.  If  this  had  been  my  project,  I  would  have  gone  back  to  the  client  and  said  that  it  seems  like  your  measurement  system is  accurate,  you  can  go  ahead  and  proceed  with  your  design  of  experiments.

That's  basically  it  for  this  analysis  for  this  particular  data.  Just  some  thoughts  that  I  had.  This  result  was  actually  very  similar  to  the  worst  case  scenario  %  gage  R&R  that  was  presented  in  the  2019  JSM  presentation.  It  was  higher  by  just  a  few  decimal  places.  It'd  be  really  interesting  to  compare  these  methods  and  other  data  sets  to  see  if  they  are  always  similar  or  if  this  was  just  a  happy  coincidence.

I  don't  have  much  experience  at  all  with  measurement  systems,  and  so  I  don't  have  any  other  data  to  play  around  with  or  even  really  know  how  to  obtain  it.  If  anybody  has  any  data  that  they  think  might  apply  to  this  type  of  project,  any  functional  data  that  also  they  might  want  to  do  an  MSA  on,  I'd  be  really  interested  in  hearing  about  it.

For  some  future  work,  some  thoughts  that  I  had  was,  the  first  one  was,  should  I  add  a  functional  random  effect  for  the  ID?  This  is  very  commonly  done  in  a  lot  of  functional  mixed  models,  at  least  in  the  fields  that  I  worked  in.  This  was  a  big  contribution  in  my  dissertation  was  the  use  of  this  functional  random  effect  for  ID.

Typically,  this  captures  the  within  function  correlation  across,  in  this  case,  distance.  I  played  around  with  this  random  effect  in  this  data,  and  every  model  I  used,  the  number  of  eigen  functions  I  used,  it  didn't  matter.  The  variance  component  associated  with  this  random  effect  always  came  out  to  be  zero,  and  that's  not  useful.

I  think  in  this  case,  once  you  took  into  account  the  variance  from  the  part  and  the  operator,  there  just  wasn't  any  variation  left  to  account  for.  I  don't  know  if  that's  true  for  all  functional  MSA  studies  or  if  this  was  just  true  for  this  particular  data.  If  I  was  ever  able  to  get  my  hands  on  some  different  data,  this  is  definitely  something  I  would  keep  in  mind  to  see  if  it  could  be  added  to  a  model  in  any  other  data  sets  more  successfully.

I  also  think  it  would  be  cool  if  we  could  calculate  a  confidence  interval  for  the  %  gage  R&R.  And  finally,  I  wanted  to  talk  about  the  one  thing  I  wasn't  super  happy  with  in  this  project,  which  was  the  residuals.  What  was  wrong  with  them?

These  are  graphs  of  some  different  models  and  the  residuals  for  each  one.  I'm  going  to  go  back  and  forth  between  this  slide  and  the  next  one.  So  yes,  the  residuals  are  relatively  small.  They're  centered  around  zero.  There's  no  crazy  spikes  or  outliers,  and  that's  good.  That's  what  we  want.

However,  in  all  the  models  I  fit,  I  just  still  didn't  love  how  they  looked  across  distance.  Looking  at  the  residuals  this  way  is  especially  important  when  working  with  functional  data.  This  is  because  it  can  really  show  when  you're  not  capturing  all  the  functional  parts  of  the  data.

A  lot  of  times  in  functional  data,  you  see  this  fanning  effect  where  the  residuals  are  really  good  in  the  beginning,  and  then  as  you  get  towards  the  end  of  your  domain,  they  fan  out  a  little  bit.  This  data  actually  had  almost  the  opposite  problem.  We  can  see  that  the  residuals  are  a  little  bit  wider  in  the  beginning  of  the  domain  and  get  closer  to  zero  as  distance  gets  larger.

There's  also  definitely  some  type  of  cyclical  pattern  in  these  residuals.  I  don't  think  it's  the  end  of  the  world.  I  think  they're  super  centered  around  zero,  but  you  can  see  in  these  graphs  that  there's  clearly  some  up  and  down  patterns.  Essentially  what  that  means  is  that  I'm  missing  something.  I'm  not  capturing  the  full  functional  nature  of  the  data,  and  I  don't  really  know  why  yet.

I'd  really  like  to  figure  that  out  and  fit  an  even  better  model,  whether  that's  possible  with  this  data  or  different  data  in  the  future.  I'm  not  sure,  but  it's  definitely  something  I  want  to  spend  a  little  more  time  on,  and  I'd  be  open  to  any  discussion  anyone  would  like  to  have  about  it.

That's  it  for  me.  Thanks  for  watching.  If  you  have  any  questions,  suggestions,  questions  or  feedback,  feel  free  to  email  me.  Thank  you.

Comments

Here's the presentation from 2020 Discovery Summit Colleen refers to: Measurement Systems Analysis for Curve Data (@Astrid_Ruck , Autoliv)