cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP Into Retirement Using the Reliability Platform in JMP® (2023-EU-30MP-1276)

Don Lifke, Research & Development Engineer / Statistician, Sandia National Labs

The powerful Reliability Platform in JMP® is often overlooked and underutilized. This talk demonstrates some of the basics of the Reliability Platform in JMP by answering the seemingly simple question, "How long will my retirement endure?" Why guess at this extremely important figure when planning for retirement? Use JMP to explore this question! This was accomplished using Reliability and Survival Fit Life by X and historical data from retirees. Uncertainties of this prediction were also quantified. The optimum retirement age was addressed, considering that retiring earlier draws less income for a longer period. In addition, JMP was used to visualize the employer's retirement tool to optimize the most financially desirable retirement age and explore the most enjoyable chapter of life — retirement!

Hello ,  my  name  is  Don  Lifke ,  and  I'm with  Sandia  National  Labs ,  I'll  be  presenting  on  Reliability  Platform  in  JMP .  The  example  I'll be  using  has  to  do  with  jumping  into  retirement .  Sit  back  and  enjoy .  And  let's  see  where  this  leads  us .

A  little  bit  about  Sandia.  We  are ,  federally  funded  research  government  owned,  contractor  operated  facility .  I 've  been  at  Sandia  since  about  2005 ,  roughly.  I'll  tell  you  a  little  bit  about  what  we  do at Sandia.  We  work  primarily  on  nuclear  deterrence .  Six  major  programs  that  we're  working  on  right  now,  I  won't  go  into  the  details  of  these ,  but  all  of  these  programs  that  you  see  on  my  screen  are  programs  that  I  worked  on  and  have  actually  applied  JMP to  all  of  these  as  well .  The  reason  I'm  presenting  data  on  retirement  is  because  a  lot  of  the  stuff  that  I  do  is  just   too  sensitive  and  I  can't  present  it  in  this  particular  environment .  So,  we're  going  to  use  some  fun  data  that  everybody  can  relate  to .   Naturally ,  this  is  a  recording ,  so  you  hold  your  questions  to  the  end .

But  this  is  the  same  presentation  I'll  be  giving  live  at  the  conference . L et's  talk  about  retirement .  Why  is  it something  that  is  so  certain  but  has  so  much  uncertainty  in  it  that  makes  it  a  little  bit  hard  to  plan ?  I'm  not  sure  I  would  want  to  be  without  that  uncertainty .  I   prefer  a  little  uncertainty  in  that .  It  does  make  planning  for  retirement  a  little  bit  difficult .  But  I  guess  on  the  bright  side ,  if  I  were  a  cat ,  it  would  be  even  more  complicated.

By  the  way ,  that  the  GATO  here  is  a  repairable  system ,  and  that's  a  whole  new  topic  in  general .  We're  just  going  to  be  doing  systems  that  are  not  repairable ,  like  cats .   What  we  can  do  is  we  can  use  the  Reliability  and  Survival  tool  in JMP.  Some  of  the  screenshots  that  you  see  maybe  are from  an  older  version  of  JMP.  This  was  created  pre-COVID .  Now  that  we  are  on  newer  versions  of  JMP there  might  be  some  slight  differences  in  what  you  see  and  what  I've  read  from  the  screenshots ,  but  should  be  fairly  similar  anyway .

But  we're  going  to  be using  the  Reliability  and  Survival  and  the  Life  Distribution  and  Fit  Life  by X  in  JMP  to  do  some  analysis  of  some data. I'm not   sure  about  where data  is  coming  from .  At  Sandia ,  we  have  a  Lab  News  that  comes  out,  every  couple  of  weeks  and  in  that   Lab  News  they  like  to  post  retiree  deaths  of  the  people  that  we  worked  with  for  a  long  time,  just  to  let  us  know  that  they've  moved  on  and  gone  to  a  big  R&D  facility  in  the  sky .

So,  I  thought  I  could  use  that  data  to  help  me  plan  for  my  retirement .   I  grabbed  some  of  that  data  and  I  took  data  from  four  different  periods ,  of Lab  News  archives .  I  pulled  some  data  from  2001 ,  2007 ,  2013  and  2018 .   The  number  of  data  points  that  I  grabbed  from  each  of  those  is  here .  We'll  look  at  some  of  these  data  and  see  how  things  are  changing  through  time  as  well .  But  anyway ,  the  number  of  data  points  is  pretty  significant .

This  little  clip ,  this  little  picture  on  the  right  is  a  little  trivia  there .  If  you  look  real closely  at  the  violinist  on  the  left ,  some  of  you  might  recognize  him  or  let's  leave  that  up  to  you  to  figure  out .  Maybe  I'll  sing  it .  It's  actually  my  partner ,  Claire .  She's  a  pharmacist .  But  also  a  beautiful  opera  singer .

T he  nice  thing  about  using  the  retiree  death data  for  me  is  that  that  population  is  a  better  representation  of  my  lifestyle They  tend  to  take  less  risks ,  lead  little  more  conservative  lifestyle  and  a  similar  income  and  education  level ,  of  course ,  where  the  best  and  the  brightest  are left at  the  probably  at  the  bottom  of  that  list ,  but  at  least  I'm  in  that  group .   It's  an  honor  to  be  working  with  the  folks  at  Sandia .   Another  nice  thing  about  using the  retiree death data  is,  it  only  includes  those  who  actually  made  it  to  retirement .   I  don't  really  care  about  the  data  for  not  making  it to  retirement .  And  I  apologize  to  my  kids .   I'm  in  Albuquerque ,  New  Mexico  right  now .

For  those  of  you  who  love  Breaking  Bad  and  know  that  Breaking  Bad  was  primarily  filmed  here  in  Albuquerque ,  and  so  I'm  a  big  fan  of  the  show ,  so  I've  got  to  put  a  little  bit  of  fun  stuff  in  the  presentation .  That's why I  threw  a  little  bit  of  Albuquerque  reference  in  there  for  those  of  you  who  are  Breaking Bad  fans  as  well .  And  some  Better  Call  Saul  stuff  to .

Let's  go  right  into  JMP  and  start  doing  some  of  the  analysis .  I'm  going  to  bailout  of that  and  I'm  going  to  open  up  my  data  file .  Let  me  see  some  screens  around  here .

It'll  take a  second  to  load  on  your  screen .  You  should  be  seeing  my  data  file .   What  you  see  are  the  columns  of  age  in  the  Lab  News .  That's  the  newspaper  that  I  got  the  data  from.  The  bi- weekly  date  and  I  broke  that  down  to  year .  And  these  other  columns  I'll  talk  about  in  a  little  bit .  Right  now ,  let's  just  look  at  the  age  and  the  year .   Let's  just  look  at  the  distribution  of  the  data  and  see  what  it  says .

If  we  analyze  the  distribution  of  age ,  I'm  just  going  to  analyze  distribution  of  age  in  general .  If  we  look  at  that ,  this  is  what  the  distribution  looks  like .  You  can  see  a  sort  of  a  skewed  left  distribution  and  we  can  really  see  a  little  more  detail  on  this  if  we  go  into  some  of  the  display  options  in  JMP. This  data  actually  best  fits  Weibull  distribution ,  a  two  parameter  Weibull  distribution ,  which  I'll  show  on  some  of  the  future  screens .  But  what  we  want  to  do  is  take  this  data  and  use  the  Life  Distribution  to  look  at  it .

I'm  going  to  drag  over  my   PowerPoint  here  and  show  you  that  I  set  these  distributions  in  the  interest  of  time  rather  than  just  actually  doing  it .  L ooking  at  the  distributions  of  the  four  years ,  the  four  categories  of  years ,  which  are ,  2001 ,  2007  and  2013 ,  2018 ,  all  of  these  fit  a  Weibull  distribution  fairly  well .   I  wanted  to  check  my  assumption  when  I  start  analyzing  the  data  in  Life  Distribution .

Then   I fit  them  to  a  Weibull  distribution .  Let  me  open  up ...  Let  me  give  you  a  little  bit  of  background  on  the  Weibull  distribution ,  that  will  help  you  understand  some  of  the  data  that I'm  going  to  show .  This  is  actually  a  Weibull  distribution...  Weibull  distributions  generated  using  JMP's  formulas ,  actually .   I've  taken  distributions  with  different  health  plans  and  different   pay DOEs  just  to  show  you  what  the   alpha betas  do  with  the  Weibull  distribution .   Let  me  run  my  script  on  this  and  show  you  what  these  look  like .

Basically,  I'm  just  doing  a  Fit  Life  by  X  in JMP ,  and I  save  the  script  to  the  data  table .   This  is  primarily  just  to  show  you  what  happens  with  Weibull  distributions  when  you  turn  on  a  local  data  filter  here  and  show  you  what  the  parameters  do  with  different  alphas  and  different  betas .  If  you  have  Weibull  distributions  where...  I'm  going  to  choose  the  three  that  have  a  beta  of  one.  The  beta   Weibull  distribution,  essentially  determines  this  is  the  spread  of  the  distribution  you  think  of  in  terms  of  standard  deviation .

When  you  plot  the  data  on  a  Weibull  curve ,  you  will  see  that  they  all  are  parallel  lines  and  they're  basically  just  scooting  across  the  X  axis  here .  The  beta  is  the  slope  of  this  line ,  which  is  the  spread  of  the  data .  If  I  look  at  three  curves  that  have  the  same  alpha  but  different  betas ,  you'll  notice  that  they're  all  centered  at  about  the  same  point .  What  the  beta  is  doing  is  changing  the  spread .  Alpha  is  changing  the  location  of  this.

They  all  across  this  point ,  which  is  actually  at  0.632 .  I'll  talk  about  that  here in  a  little  bit .  But  though  the  characteristic  lifetime  is  the  alpha ,  and  that's  the  point  where  your  line  crosses  63.2% ,  which  comes  out  to  be  one  minus  one  over  80  if  you  want  to  get  into  the  proof  of  it .   The  beta  is  the  spread  of  the  data,  the  alpha  is  the  location  of  the  data.  Scale  and  location, it's  sometimes  what  they  call  it .  Just  a  little  background  on  that .   I'll  swing  this   PowerPoint  back  over  here  and   show  you  and summarize  slide  what  I  mean .

These  plots  have  the  same  alpha .  They're  all  centered  at  the  same  place .  The  three  that  have  the  smaller  rectangle  around  them  are  the  same  beta .  So,  they  have  the  same  spread ,  but  they're  located  differently  because  they  have  different  alphas .   Just  a  little  brief  tutorial  on  what  the  beta  distribution  parameters  do  to  the  curve .

Let's  just   look  at  all  the  data  on  a  close  up.  Example ,   probable  curve  data ,  and  let's  just  look  at  the  age  parameters .  If  we  analyze  the  Reliability ,  Survival  and  just  look  at  the  Life  distribution  of  age ...  What  we  see  is  linear  scales  on  the  X  and  Y ,  but  we  can  actually  determine  which  distribution  system  fits  here .  And  what  we  find ,  of  course ,  is  that  the  Weibull  fits  best .   This  is  what  the  Weibull  distribution  looks  like,  on  all  of  that  data  crammed  together .   Using  the  distribution  profiler ,  I  can  actually  manually  scoot  this  over  and  say,  I  want  to  be  90%  sure  I  don't  run  out  of  money .

I  better  plan  on  a  retirement  age  of  roughly  92  or  so .   About  92  to  be  90%  sure  I  don't  run  out  of  money  every  time That  was  really  the  focus  of  this  day  in  trying  to  help  me  plan  my  retirement age .  You  know ,  they  always  tell  you  how  long  you  want  to  plan  your  retirement  for .   Of  course ,  we  don't  know .   Usually  we  just  take  a  wild  guess ,  but  this  is   a  little  bit  of  data  driven  decision  making  going  on  here .

What  if  we  look  at  these  through  the  four  different  years ,  we  can  use  the  same  platform ,  the  Reliability  Survival  or  Fit  Life  by  X.   We  can  look  at  the  age  versus  the  actual  year  here .   Let's  see  how  the  years  look  differently .  Let  me  turn  on  the  density  curves  here  so  you  can  see  where  those  fall .   I want this to be a Weibull  distribution .   We  can  also  turn  on  quantile  lines  to   see  how  things  change  through  time .   This  is  the   10,  15 ,  98%  quantile line .

It  looks  like  maybe  maybe  from  2001  to  2007  things  have  change  a  lot ,  but  about  2013 ,  maybe  the  people  are  living  a  little  bit  longer  based  on  the  2013  and  2018  data .  We  go  down  here  and  look  at  the  details  of  this  Fit Life by X .  You  can  see  the  plots  all separately  here .  These  little  profilers  are   fun  to  mess  with  here .  You  can  see  the  age ,  the  probability  of  failure .  Looks  like  I've  got  the  long  run  and  the  probability  of  failure  is...  I'll  just  put  a  90  here .

But  we  can  see  that  it  looks  like  we  are  getting  a  little  bit  healthier  because  this  Probability  is  going  down  through  time ,  at  least  for  90  years  old .  There's  a  lot  of  stuff  in  here  that  you  can  tinker  around  with .  I  don't  have  the  time  to  show  you  all  of  that ,  but  what I  want  to  get  down  to  here  is ...  This  location  scale .   This  little  test  here  is  telling  me ,  are  my  locations  different ,  assuming  we  don't  have  the  same  data ,  the  same  failure  mechanism ,  which  in  theory  we  do ,  right ?

We  all  have  the  same  failure ,  but  the  physics  of  the  human  like  failures  should  be  constant .  And  so  our  data  shouldn't  change  much .  But  assuming  we  have  the  saving  betas  and  the  alphas  changing ,  in  other  words ,  is  the  location  of  these  changing ?  And  the  data  says ,  yeah ,  that  we're  rejecting  the  null  hypothesis  that  the  data  are  not  scooting  across  this  X  axis  through  the  years .  There's  a  change .  Now  looking  at  the location  and  scale ,  it  looks  like  that's  marginal .

I'm  going to talk  more ,   when  we get  down  to  the  Weibull  here,  the  actual  Weibull  data .   The  Weibull   looking  at  is there  a  difference  in  the  beta ,  in  the  slopes  or  in  the  spread  of  the  data  year  to  year.  It's  right  on  the  edge  of  being  rejecting  the  null  hypothesis  that  they're  located ,  that  they're  actually  the  same  on  the  slopes .   If  you  want  to  look  at  different  distributions  through  the  years ,  you  can  actually  do  a  statistical  test  to  see  if  things  are  changing  through  time ,  the  distributions  of  your  reliable  data .

Right .  So,  what  am  I  forgetting ?  Let  me  slide  back  over  here  to  the   PowerPoint .   What  I'm  not  doing ,  I'm  not  considering  censored  data .  I  don't  have  the  data  for  everybody  who's  still  alive .  The  retirees  are  still  alive ,  but  I  just  don't  have  access  to  it .  So,  I  thought ,  well ,  what's  that  going  to  do  to  my  analysis ?  Well ,  I  can   play  around  with  the  data  I  have  and  go  back  in  time .  For  example ,  I  can  go  back  to  2007  and  I  can  treat  the  2013  and  2018  data  as  censored  data  because  I  know  that  those  retirees  are  still  alive .   Just  to  see  how  it  affects  my  analysis ,  the  fact  that  I'm  not  including  censored  data .   I  did  do  that .  I  went  back  and  messed  around  with  that .  I'll  show  you  a  little  bit  of  it ,  but  I  didn't  really  find  out  much .   As  our  great  friend  George  Box  that  models  around  the  practical  questions ,  how  wrong  do  they  have  to  be  to  not  be  useful ?

And  I  really  didn't  find  anything  useful  in  doing  that .  But  I  will  show  you  at  least  what  I  did .  To  convince  myself  that  not  having  that  the  data  for  the  retiree  still  alive,  is  not  a  problem .   If  we  look  at  the ...  Let  me  tabulate  my  data  real  quick .  If  I  look  at  the  age ,  the  year  of  the  data  versus  whether  or  not  I  suspended  the  data ,  what  I  did  is  I  took  the  2018  data  and  suspended  it  and  worked  my  way  back  to  2013 .

We  did  an  analysis  on  2013  using  the  three  years  of  data  and  then  using  the  2018  data  as  suspended  data .  Of  course ,  I  had  to  take  the  data   from  2018  and  I  had  to  subtract  five  from  it  because  that  would  be  the  age  in  2013 . I n  order  to  include  that  suspended  data ,  I  had  to  adjust  their  age  accordingly  as  well .  But  I  also  did  that  for  2007 .   Let  me  show  you  in  tabular  format ,  I  created  a  column  called  Suspend  2007  where  I  took the  data  from  2018  and  2013  and  also  suspended  it .

I  took  out  my  data  of  known  deaths  and  half  my  data  as  suspended  data ,  people  who  are  still  alive .   You  can  see  that ...  Let  me  show  you  what  that  did  to  the  data .   For  the  age on  2013  data  still  alive ,  you  can  see  that   it's  basically  the  2018  data  minus  the  five  years .   If  I  look  at  the  actual  age  here .  If  we  look  at  the  mean  age ,  basically  this  is  the  mean  age  for  the  2018  data .  By  suspending ,  I  basically  just  subtracted  off  the  five  years  here .  And   treated  out the  suspended  data .

And  the  same  goes  for  the  2007  data .  T here  instead ,  I  believe ,  I simply  just  subtracted  off  nine  years,  and  five  years  for  the  18  to  2013  data .   When  I  wrote  the  analysis  of  those ,  I'm  just  going  to  show  you  on  the   PowerPoint  slide  what  it  looks  like  because  it  works  out  convenient  for  me  to  jump  back  and  forth  between  these  two  to  show  you  the  difference .   What  I  found  was  that  this  was  my  original  data  and  then  this  is  the  data  treating  2018  data  suspended  and  doing  the  analysis  of  2013  data .

You  can  see  that  the  area  of  interest  where  I'm  really  concerned  about  is  where  I'm  crossing  that  maybe  90%  probability .  It  didn't  change  much  at  all .  And  then  this  is  throwing  the  2018  and  2013  data  assets  during  the  analysis  based  on  2007  data  and  the  2001  data.  You  can  see  that  it  really  doesn't  change  the  curve  much  in  the  area  that  I  care  about .   That  gave  me  the  comfort  that  I  really  am  not  missing  much  by  not  censoring  out  the  data .

I  mean  by  not  having  this  censored  data .   How  did  I  calculate  my  90%  confidence  intervals ?  I'm  going  to  just  show  you  in   PowerPoint  how   I  did  this  just  in  the  interest  of  time .   I  can  use  the  quantile  profiler  and  look  at  the  5%  95%  probability  and  calculate  my  90%  confidence  intervals .  Typically ,  what  you'll  see  for  data  and  in  this  case ,  it's  66  years  old,  96  years  old .  But  really  what  I  care  about  is  the  upper  limit .  I  only  care  about  my  90%  probability .  And  in  this  case  it  was  age  94 .

Based  on  this  analysis ,  I  now  know  that  I  want  to  be  90%  sure  I  don't  run  out  of  money .  I  should  plan  to  live  to  be  94 .  This  is  based  on  my  historical  data .   Quantifying  that  uncertainty ,  this  is  basically ...  A  little  bit  humour  tone  in .

The  next  phase  in  this  was  to  try  and  figure  out ...  I'm  going  to  throw  in  a  little  bit  of  bonus  material  here  beyond  the  Life Fit situation .   Here  we  have  this  tool  called  the  Pension  Tool.  We  could  actually  put  in  the  year  we're  going  to  retire,  and  we  could  also  assume  a  salary  increase  and  a  non  base ,  which  is,  essentially,   what  you  would  call  a  bonus  in  private  industry .

We  could  put  those  into  this  tool  and  it  would  spit  out  our  pension,  our  estimated  monthly  pension .  I  thought ,  well ,  that  doesn't  help  me  much.  What  I  want  to  do  is,  I  want  to  reverse- engineer  that  tool  so  that  I  have  the  profiler  to  tinker  with .   I  went  into  the  JMP  and  I  created  a  Response  Surface  model ,  and  I  basically  input  three  different  ages  at  retirement ,  62 ,  65  and  68 .

I  did  three  different  salary  increases  and  I  tried  three  different  based  awards  as  well .   Let  me  pull  data  over  here .  This  is  what  the  data  looked  like  when  I  ran  the  experiment .   I'm  just  going  to  show  you  the  the  screenshots  from  JMP  rather  than  do   an  actual  JMP  analysis  because  I'm  like  20  minutes  already   and I want to  make  sure  I  have  enough  time  to  cover  all  of  this .

When  I  created  this  experiment ,  you'll  notice  that  the  runs  are  sorted .  That's  okay  because  I'm  doing  a  computer  simulation  so,  I  don't  have  to  worry  about  lurking  variables  like  the  temperature  in  the  room ,  the  humidity  and  the  operators .  I'm  going  to  get  the  same  answer  regardless  of  the  order  that  I  ran  this .   So,  it's  easier  for  me  to  do  the  tool  to  run  them  in  order .  But  when  you  do  that  design  of  experiments ,  you  want  to  randomize  your  run .  Do  not  run  them  in  order  out  of  convenience .  If  you  do,   you  feel,  okay,  your  set of strains  will  tell  you  that  you  can  use  the  how  to  set  easy,  how to  changes  with  the  change,  feature  in  JMP  to  make  sure  you  do  that  properly  by  using  some  blocking .

My  inputs  were  all  orthogonal .  I  covered  all  combinations  of  the... My  age  at  retirement ,  the  three  different  ages  and  the  three  different  month  based  awards  and  the  three  different  salary  increase  percentages .  This  is  the  look  at  the  analysis  you  can  do  when  you're  setting  up  your  experiment   in JMP.  You  can  make  sure  that  your  main  effects  are  only  correlated  to  themselves .  And  that  there's  minimal  correlation  to  other  variables ,  in  two  factor  interaction  is  also  a  squared  term  since  I  did  a  Response  Surface  model.

But  the  net  result  was  a  nice  prediction  profile  and  I'm  going  to  go  ahead  and  just  run  this  and  show  you .  Prediction  profiler .   When  I  set  up  the  experiment ,  I  tell  JMP.  When  you  set  up  an  experiment  in JMP ,  it's  nice  because  it  gives  you  these  scripts  already  in  your  data  table .   I'm  just  running  the  model  data  table .  And  JMP  says ,  Oh ,  I  know  what  you  want  to model ,  because  I  was  here  when  you  set  up  the  experiment.  And  it  gives  me  my  Y  and  it  gives  me  my  Xs .

It  runs  my a nalysis  for  me .   I  can  now  use  the  profiler  JMP,  rather than  having  to  put  in  an  age,  salary  increase,   and a non base  award  into  that  tool  and  getting  one  number  out .  Now  I  have  the  profiler  I reverse  engineered  their  tool  essentially.  I  can  see  what  my  monthly  benefit  is  going  to  be  versus  a  salary  increase ,  non  base,  where  you  see  that  non  base  award  doesn't  really  have  much  effect.  Salary  increase ,  not  much   effect .  And  of  course ,  age  as  we  would  expect,  have  the  most  effect .

What  do  I  do  with  this  information ?  Well ,  what  I  really  care  about  is  my  lifetime  benefit .  And  I'm  also  I'm  concerned  about  inflation .   So,  I  added  some  formulas  to  this .  I  added  a  lifetime  benefit ,  which  is  just  my  monthly  benefit  times  how  long  I'm  going  to  live .   If  you  want  to  look  at  the  formula ,  you  can  see  it's  basically  my  monthly  benefit  times  how  long  I'm  going  to  live .  And  that's  my  lifetime  benefit .

That's  what  I  really  care  about ,  is  how  much  money  am I  going to get  in  my  lifetime .  I  know  if  I  retire  earlier ,  I'm  going  to  get  less  money .  That's  a  no  brainer .  But  I  want  to  know ,  is  there  a  point  of  diminishing  returns.  W hen  I  looked  at  the  age  at  retirement ,  my  lifetime  benefit  for  80 ,  84  and  98  created  three  separate  columns  for  those  data  will  be  the  column. All these   data wil l  be  provided  to  you  as  well ,  if  you  want  to  tinker  with  it .

But  what  you  can  see  is  a  lifetime  benefit  for  aging .  It is  actually  a  point  of  diminishing  returns.  Where  I  might  as  well  just  retire  at  65  because  I'm  going  to  get  less  money ,  but  I'm  going  to  get  it  for  a  longer  period  of  time .  Now ,  as  that  starts  to  increase,  if  my  lifetime  at  age  84 ,   turns out  my  lifetime  benefit  would  have  been  a  little  bit  better  hanging  on  there .  And  as  I  get  older ,  of  course ,  I'm  better  off  waiting  as  long  as  I  can  to  retire .

But  I  really  don't  know .   I  don't  know  what  that  number  is .  My  best  guess  is  84 .  That  was  the  fiftieth  percentile   on my  fit .  If  I  want  to  be  really  conservative ,  I'm  looking  at  90 .  But  I  also  wanted  to  look  at  how  inflation  matters .   I  looked  at   the  present  value,  I  put  a  formula  in  JMP .  There's  actually   a  formula  for  present  value .  Let  me  explain  [inaudible 00:26:05]  I'm going to  show  it to you  real  quick .

In  JMP  you  can  actually  use  a  formula  similar  to  what  Excel  has  and  calculate  this present  value.  And  that  adjusts  for  inflation .   This  is  what  your  money's  worth  now,  relative  to  what  you're  predicting ,  the  future  inflation  rate  is  going  to  be  annual  inflation  rate .   At  0%  this  present  value  is  just  your  lifetime .  The  number  of  payments  you're  going  to  have  through  your  lifetime  times  the  payment  amount  essentially ,  but  you  get  penalized  as  inflation  goes  up ,  it  becomes  less  and  less .   If   I  look  just  at  the  inflation  present  value  data ...  If  I  just  model  those ,  what  I  noticed  was ...  I'll make these  little  bigger  so  you  can  see  them .

I  noticed  that  when  my  salary  increase  is  smaller,  lower ...  This  is  a  two  factor  interaction .  You  can  see  the  slopes  changing .  That  was  some  small  salary  increases ,  which  are  probably  not  unrealistic  in  the  coming  future .  There  is  a  point  of  diminishing  return  when  we  penalize  for  inflation .   At  lower  inflation ,  there  is   not  that  big  of  a  benefit  to  wait  to  retire .  Once  I  hit  about  65  or  so ,  it's  starting  to  flatten  out .   Really  the  difference  isn't  that  big .

If  we  look  at  the  predicted  value ,  these  are  not  my  actual  numbers .  These  were  based  on  censoring  the  data  using  a  pitch factor  of  $4,000  a  month ,  which  is  the  typical  retiree  income .  I  noticed  that  as  I  weigh ,  it   flattens  out  so  it  doesn't  really  pay  to  wait  to  retire .   I'm  using  this  information  to  help  me  decide  when  I  really  want  to  retire .  Right  now ,  I'll  be  62  in  May ,  so  I'm  starting  to  approach  the  ability  to  do  this .

Probably  going  to  wait  till  64 ,  65- ish  to  where  the  difference  in  my  present  value  is  not  that  big .   That's  a  little  quick  bonus  on  how  I  use  the  designer  experiments  feature  in JMP  to  reverse- engineer  this .   In  summary ,  I  looked  at  the  retiree  death  data  and  I  set  the  Life  Distribution  and  Fit  Life by X,  I  looked  at  four  different  time  periods  and  noticed  maybe  we  did  get  a  little  bit  healthier  and  healthier  in  2013 ,  but  by  2018  that  have  flattened  out .  I  do  have  some  2021  data  that  I  don't  have  in  this  presentation,  but  next  year  at  the  conference  in  Spain  in  March ,  that  it's  actually  pretty  flat  from  2013  to  20 18  to  2021 .  We're  really  not  getting  healthier ,  living  longer .   That's  going  to  help  me  with  my  decision .  I  took  a  custom  designed  experiment  as bonus  material  here ,  and  I  reverse- engineered  this  web  based  applet  that  we  have  and  used  the  profiler  to  replace  that  one  data  point  at  a  time .   A  really  cool  thing ,  you  can  do   in JMP .   I  would  take  questions  here  if  were  alive .

And  with  that ,  I  want  to  say  one  last  thing .  I  really  want  to  dedicate  this  presentation  to  my  brother ,  who  I  lost  a  couple  of  years  ago  to  brain  cancer ,  who  was  only  15  months  younger  than  me .  He  was  a  fellow  Sandi  and  also  a  fellow  JMP  user .  Some  of  you  may  have  met  him  at  the  JMP  conference  and  so I'm  dedicating  this  to  him .  Thank  you  very  much .