cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Innovative Approaches Using JMP: Two Case Studies on Predictive Modeling and Simulations (2023-EU-30MP-1295)

Damien Perret, R&D Scientist, CEA
François Bergeret, Senior Statistician, Ippon Innovation
Carole Soual, Chief Statistician, Ippon Innovation
Isabelle Giboire, Isabelle, CEA

JMP software was initially implemented at CEA in 2010 by R&D teams who develop nuclear glass formulation. Over the years, JMP has been used for multiple purposes, such as data visualization of highly complex composition domains, optimal mixture designs, and machine learning techniques to create property-to-composition predictive models. More recently, JMP enabled us to develop very innovative methodologies. Two case studies will be presented. First, we will show an original approach based on an automatic and intelligent subsampling of the data, combining techniques of optimal designs and several predictive methods in JMP and JMP Pro to create very robust and accurate predictive models. Second, we will present an amazing benefit of using the Simulation platform where a response is below the limit of detection in the most part of the design space.

Thank  you  for  watching  this  presentation  for  the  Europe  Discovery  Summit  Conference  online.  My  name  is  Damien  Perret.  I  am an  R&D  scientist  at  CEA  in  France.  I  am  with  Francois  Bergeret  the  statistician  and  the  founder  of  Ippon  Innovation  in  France.  With  Francois,  we  are  very  happy  to  be  here  today  and  we  would  like  to  thank  the  steering  committee  who  gave  us  the  opportunity  to  talk  about  this  work  which  is  about  innovative  approaches  using  JMP.

We  will  give  you  two  case  studies.  Francois  will  present  the  first  case  and  I  will  present  the  second  case.  Just  start  with  a  few  words  about  CEA.  CEA  is  a  French  government  organization  for  research,  development,  and  innovation  in  four  areas;  low  carbon  energies,  technological  research,  fundamental  research,  and  defense  and  security.  The  CEA  counts  about  20,000  people  and  we  are  located  on  nine  different  sites  in  France.  We  have  strong  relationships  with  the  academic  world  and  many  collaborations  with  universities  and  partners,  both  in  France  and  all  around  the  world.

A few  words  about  Ippon  Innovation.  Of  course,  we  are  a  smaller  company  compared  to  the  CEA.  It  was  created  15  years  ago.  We  are  based  in  the  South  of  France,  Toulouse.  We  are  a  team  of  statistician,  only  statisticians  with  skill  in  industrial  statistics,  example,  SPC,  measurement  system  analysis,  and  of  course,  machine  learning  and  so  on.

I'm  a  JMP  user  since  1995,  so  a  long  time  ago.  I  started  with  JMP  3.  Of  course,  Ippon  is  JMP  Partner  because  we  used  a  lot  of  JMP.  For  example,  for  yield  optimization,  we  have  a  tool  called  Yeti,  automatic  yield  optimization  in  complex  manufacturing  systems.  We  also  developed  solution  based  on  a  customer  request,  what  we  call  software  on  demand,  for  example,  a  full  solution  for  outlier  detection  or  statistical  process  control.

Using  JMP  and  GSL,  we  have  several  GSL  expert  here,  including  Carole  Soual,  which  is  co- author  of  this  talk  today.  We  also  have  a  classical  consulting  and  training  expertise  based  on  JMP  on  industrial  statistics.  The  content  of  the  presentation  today,  we  will  present  two  real  case  studies  with  Damien.  The  first  one  is  based  on  simulation  and  a  computer  design  of  experiment,  and  the  second  one  will  be  presented  by  Damien  on  a  machine  learning  tool  for  prediction.

I  will  present  the  case  study  number  1  based  on  mixture.  It  is  okay.  You  can  go  on  the  next  slide.  The  context  is  a  risk  assessment  and  a  probability  calculation.  To  explain  it  a  little  bit,  mixture  design  of  experiment  was  created  by  the  CEA  to  evaluate  the  performance  of  a  material  for  nuclear  waste.  The  conditioning  is  done  with  salts  in  a  matrix.  The  performance  is  determined  by  a  threshold  on  the  energy.  The  energy  has  to  be  higher  than  the  threshold.

It  is  not  so  easy  to  estimate  the  probability   to  be  below  this  threshold.  We  will  use  all  the  tools  and  all  the  data  that  we  have  to  do  this  task.  Of  course,  the  probability  has  to  be  as  small  as  possible.   Damien,  the  CEA  expert,  will  assess  if  this  probability  is  okay.  Now,  what  methodology  we  use  to  estimate  this  worst  case  probability?

First  of  all,  based  on  the  data  from  the  mixture  design  of  experiment,  we  have  estimated  several  models.  Basically,  some  classical  linear  models,  also  classification  and  decision  trees,  and  also  neural  networks  are  the  main  models  used.  For  each  model,  we  have  done  three  analysis.

First,  the  Monte  Carlo  simulation  on  the  factor,  so  classical  random  simulation  with  Monte  Carlo.  Also,  what  we  call  space  filling  design,  a  computer  design  with  JMP,  where  we  try  to  explore  the  design  space  but  by  computer  simulations,  adding  a  noise  on  the  response.  This  is  done  with  JMP  Pro.  Last  thing  we  did  is  a  blending  of  Monte  Carlo  and  space  filling  design.  We  will  detail  this,  but  this  is  very  useful  as  we  want  to  estimate  a  worst  case  probability.  We  can  go  to  next  slide.

Case  study  number  1,  classical  JMP  simulation  for  the  mixture  DOE.  First  of  all,  we  have  to  select  the  best  model.  Before  doing  the simulation,  we  need  to  find  the  best  model.  There  is  a  very  nice  feature  in  JMP  Pro,  which  is  called  model  comparison.  Very  quickly,  you  can  compare  the  models  based  on  criteria,  RS quare or  the  AISC.  We  have  done  this  and  I  will  do  the  demo  right  now.  I  share  my  screen  now.  I  have  to  share  my  screen.  We  have  to  use  JMP.  Here,  I  open  the  data  set.  This  is  a  data  set  from  mixture  design  of  experiment.  There  is  eight  factors,  X 1- X8,  and  the  response  is  the  energy.

To  show  you  an  example  of  the  model  that  we  did,  we  perform  here,  for  example,  a   predictive  modeling  neural  network.  The  response  is  the  energy.  The  X's  factors  are  here.  We  click  here.  For  information,  we  decide  here  not  to  divide  the  full  sample  in  learning  sample,  validation  sample,  test  sample,  because  data  are  from  design  of  experiments,  so  we  have  not  a  lot  of  data.  Thirty-one  experiment  maximum  here.

We  use  a  KFold  validation  to  save  samples,  I  would  say.  A  very  simple  neural  net  here,  one  layer,  and  we  click  on  Go.  There  is  quite  a  good  model  with  a  correct,  let's  say,  RS quare  for  that.  How  is  working  the  comparison  of  the  model  in  JMP?  You  need  to  save  the  prediction  formula.  You  click  on  the  spot  and  I  save  the  formula.  Doing  this,  you  have  formulas  here  of  the  neural  net  with  hidden  layers.  You  see  the  formula,  hyperbolic  tangent  here  of  the  linear  predictor.  Second n euron  here  of  the  hidden  layers,  another  formula,  and  so  on.  At  the  end,  for  the  neural  net,  the  final  formula  for  the  prediction  is  a  linear  combination  of  the  hidden  neurons.  I  keep  this  formula  for  the  moment,  and  I'm  going  to  do  the  same  with  a  linear  model.

The  linear  model  was  saved  here  to  save  time.  We  decide  to  have  a  linear  model.  For  mixture  design,  we  have  some  cross  effect  here  and  a  linear  model.  Of  course,  we  need  to  clean  the  model.  We  need  to  remove  what  is  not  significant  here  and  so  on.  When  the  job  is  done,  we  also  have  to  save  the  formula.  I  saved  what  I  call  the  prediction  formula.  Here,  once  again,  in  the  JMP  table  somewhere,  you  will  have  the  prediction  formula  for  the  energy,  ordinary  least  square.  You  have  a   classical  linear  formula  for  the  linear  model.

To  summarize,  here  I  have  two  models,  neural  network  and  ordinary  least  square,  and  I  have  a  formula  for  the  two  models.  Then  with  these  formulas,  I  go  to  Analyze,  Predictive  Modeling,  and  Model  Comparison.  This  is  the  nice  JMP  platform  for  machine  learning.  Here  what  you  have  to  enter  is  just  the  formula  of  the  predictor.  Here,  for  the  example,  I  just  enter  two  formula,  ordinary  least  square  and  neural net,  and  that's  all.  You  just  click  Okay.  Here  you  have  a  comparison  model  with  some  criteria  and  you  select  the  best  model h ere.  First  of  all,  I  add  noise  in  the  data,  so  RS quare  are  not  so  good.

In  addition,  we  can  compare  the  both  model.  In  that  case,  for  the  worst  case  analysis,  we  decided  decided  to  perform  the  simulation  both  on  linear  model  and  also  on  neural  nets.  Now,  we  are  going  to  do  that  work.  L et  me  show  you  what  we  did.  Maybe  I'm  going  to  share  this  slide,  Damien,  because  I  need  to  show  something  here.  It  will  be  easier  with  my  PC.  So the  live  demo  is  done.  Here  I'm  going  to  use  a  Monte  Carlo  simulation.  Very  easy  with  a  JMP  prediction  profiler.

First  of  all,  this  is  my  first  demo.  After  that,  I  will  do  the  mixture  design  of  experiment  space  filling  design.  I  have  to  say  that  both  for  Monte  Carlo  and  also  for  space  filling  design,  we  have  some  mixture  constraints.  It  means  that  the  sum  of  the  component  has  to  be  equal  to  one.  It's  not  a  real  space  filling  design.  It's  not  a  real  Monte  Carlo  because  you  have  this  constraint.  J MP  has  a  smart  algorithm,  iterative  algorithm  to  take  into  account  the  constraints.  We  are  going  to  simulate  Monte  Carlo  with  the  first  factors  and  then  with  the  second  factors  taking  into  account  the  first  one  and  so  on.

At  the  end,  I  will  present  the  full  simulation  with  both  Monte  Carlo  and  space  filling  design.  This  is  new  because  what  we  have  done  is  for  each  run  of  the  space  filling  design,  we  have  done  1,000  Monte  Carlo  simulations.  It's  really  a  worst  case  here,  but  it  was  the  objective  for  the  CEA  to  have  the  worst  case.  Thanks  to  this,  we  will  get  a  really  good  estimation  of  the  worst  case  probability.

Now,  let  me  jump  to  the  demo.  First  of  all,  Monte  Carlo.  Here  I  have  the  result  for  the  Monte  Carlo.  No,  sorry,  it's  not  the  right  one.  Here  it  is.  Let's  use  the  neural  network.  Here,  for  the  neural network,  you  can  ask  for  the  profiler.  If  you  ask  for  the  profiler,  here  you  can  ask  the  simulator.  I  will  randomly  move  the  factors.  But  what  is  important  here,  I'm  asking  for  uniform  distribution  because  it's  more  classical  for  mixture  design.  Here,  I'm  going  to  simulate  random  data  for  the  factor  X1 ,  but  between  this  value  and  this  value  because  there  is  a  constraint  here.  I  continue  with  the  second  factor  with  uniform  simulation  between  this  value  and  this  value,  and  so  on.

To  save  time,  I  will  automatically  run  the  simulation  here.  Here  it  is.  Sorry,  I  don't  have  the  right  data  set.  Sorry  about  that.  W here  it  is.  Model  comparison  and  simulation.  Here  it  is.  Okay,  here  it  is,  Monte  Carlo  simulation.  To  save  time,  I'll  show  you  directly  the  result  with  a  random  simulation  with  a  mixture  constraint.

W e  have  done  this  Monte  Carlo  simulation  and  we  have  this  result  on  the  energy.  What  is  nice  also  is  that  you  can  put  the  result  in  a  table.  This  is  the  result,  10,000  Monte  Carlo  simulation.  For  each  simulation  and  with  the  model,  you  have  the  energy.  Now,  to  calculate  the  probability  to  be  lower  than  the  spec  limit,  we  just  have  to  do  a  distribution  of  the  simulated  energy.  This  is  a  distribution,  not  exactly  Gaussian,  more  close  to  a  Laplace  distribution.  But  anyway,  it  doesn't  matter.  We  will  do  the  process  capability  and  the  spec  given  by  the  CEA  is  minus  100.  I  just  click  on  this  and  we  have  what  we  call  the  capability  analysis,  overall  capability.  Ppk  is  quite  good,  higher  than  1.3 .  Here,  the  expected  percentage  of  out  of  spec  is  very  low   because  this  number  is  clearly  very  low.

We  can  have  a  look  in  a  scientific  notation.  We  are  at  a  very  small  probability  and  clearly  it  was  acceptable  for  the   [inaudible 00:15:13] .  At  this  time,  based  on  neural  network  model,  based  on  Monte  Carlo  simulation,  we  have  estimated  the  first  probability  to  be  out  of  specification  and  this  probability  is  here.  Next  step.  What  we  have  done  here  is  that  we  are  going  back  here.  Sorry,  I  don't  close  this.  I  don't  close  this.  I'm  going  here  to  do  another  simulation  with  what  we  call  a  simulation  experiment.  Simulation  experiment  is  also  called  sometimes  a  space  filling  experiment.  You  try  to  explore  the  design  space.

Here,  we  have  to  remind  that  there  is  a  mixture  constraint,  so  we  will  not  explore,  of  course,  a  full  design  space,  but  we  will  explore  a  part  of  the  design  space  here.  Here  is  a  result,  128  computer  runs  with  the  simulation  data.  We  can  have  a  look  at  the  result  of  the  simulation.  If  we  do  a  scatterplot  matrix  on  the  simulated  experiment  on  the  factors,  here  is  the  exploration  of  the  factor  with  a  mixture  constraint.  With  this,  once  again,  we  have  simulated  energy  but  here,  it's  not  Monte  Carlo  simulation,  it's  a  computer  simulation  experiment.

Same  job,  we  can  put  the  energy  here.  W here  is  the  simulated  energy?  Here  it  is.  Once  again,  roughly  normally  distributed.  Here  I'm  going  to  calculate,  once  again,  the  process  capability  with  a  spec  minus  100.  Here  it  is.  Here  I  should  have  the  process  capability  which  is  good.  Once  again,  you  have  a  probability  to  be  out  of  the  spec,  which  is  close  to  7  per  1,000.  It  is  also  acceptable  as  a  result.  But  you  can  see  that  in  that  case,  the  probability  is  higher  than  the  previous  one  because  the  calculation  was  different  and  because  it  was  a  simulation  experiment  exploring  the  space  and  it's  different  from  Monte  Carlo  simulation.

Last  thing  that  we  did,  and  I'm  going  to  open  the  d ata  file.  Here  it  is,  Simulated  Monte  Carlo.  Here  it  is.  Not  the  right  one,  sorry.  I  have  a  lot  of  things  open.  Here  it  is.  What  is  this  file?  What  we  did  here.  We  did  both  a  space  filling  design  and  for  each  run  of  the  space  filling  design,  we  have  done  1,000  Monte  Carlo  simulations.  The  total  number  of  points  here  is  128,000  lines.  Both  Monte  Carlo  and  also  a  computer  design  of  experiment.

Here  we  have  really  a  good  data  set  with  all  the  potential  variations.  Some  are  forced  by  the  design  of  experiment,  others  are  clearly  random  with  the  Monte  Carlo.  Here,  once  again,  we  are  going  to  estimate  the  probability.  You  have  the  nice  distribution  of  the  energy.  Then  we  will  once  again,  calculate  the  probability  to  be  out  of  spec.  Entering  the  spec  here,  here  it  is.  Here  we  have  a  probability  to  be  out  of  spec,  which  is  close  to  1  per  1,000.  Once  again,  it  was  quite  a  good  result  here.  This  result  is  quite  innovative.  Here,  just  for  information,  we  had  to  create  a  little  JMP  script  here  to  do  this,  to  mix  the  computer  design  and  the  Monte  Carlo  simulation.  There  is  a  little   GSL  code   for  that.  That's  all  for  my  part.  Damien,  maybe  you  can  go.  I  stopped  the  sharing.

Okay. This  is  now  the  case  study  number  2.  For  this  study,  we  have  developed  a  custom  tool  for  predictive  application.  The  objective  here  was  to  create  a  tool  including  statistical  models  in  JMP  Pro  in  order  to  predict  a  specific  property  which  is  the  glass  visco sity  as  a  function  of  composition  and  temperature.  To  do  that,  experimental  data  are  coming  from  both  commercial  database  and  from  our  own  database  at  CEA .  A s  we  will  see,  the  originality  of  the  approach  comes  from  the  methodology  for  data  sub sampling.

We  wanted  the  algorithms  to  be  coded  in  GSL  and  implemented  in  JMP  Pro.  The  response  of  the  model  is  the  glass  viscosity,  of  course,  and  the  factors  are  the  weight  percent  of  the  glass  components.  Here  are  some  background  information.  You  have  to  know  that  glass  material  is  a  non- crystalline  solid  and  it  is  obtained  by  a  rapid  quench  of  a  glass  melt.  From  a  material  point  of  view,  glass  is  a  mixture  of  different  oxides.

The  number  of  oxides  is  variable  from  two  or  three  in  a  very  simple  glass  to  about  30  and  even  more  in  the  most  complex  compositions.  T here  is  a  long  tradition  in  the  calculation  of  glass  properties,  and  we  think  that  the  first  models  were  created  in  Germany  at  the  end  of  the  19th  century.  Since  then,  the  amount  of  published  literature  in  the  field  of  glass  property  prediction  has  increased  a  lot.  So  that  today,  we  have  a  huge  amount  of  glass  data  available  in  commercial  database.

Several  challenges  remain  for  the  prediction  of  the  glass  v iscosity  because  the  glass  v iscosity  is  a  property  that  is  very  difficult  to  predict.  First,  v iscosity  has  a  huge  range  of  variation  up  to  certain  orders  of  magnitude.  A lso,  v iscosity  is  very  dependent  on  physical  and  chemical mechanisms  that  can  occur  in  the  glass  melt,  depending  on  the  glass  composition,  like  fast  separation  or  crystallization,  for  example.

Here  is  just  a  short  example  that  shows  this  difficulty.  We  have  selected  three  compositions  of  what  we  call  SBN  glass,  which  is  very  simple  glass  with  only   3 oxides.  W e  applied  the  best  known  models  from  the  literature  to  calculate  the  visco sity.  T hen  we  compare  the  predicted  values  with  the  experimental  value  we  have  measured  with  our  own  device.  You  can  see  that  even  for  a  very  simple  glass,  it  is  not  easy  to  obtain  one  reliable  value  for  the  predicted  v iscosity.  Here  is  a  good  picture  we  like  to  use  to  give  a  view  of  the  database  where  each  dot  is  one  glass  in  a  multi  dimensional  view  of  the  domain  of  compositions.

Data  may  come  from  different  isolated  studies,  or  we  can  have  data  coming  from  studies  using  experimental  design,  or  data  obtained  from  parametric  studies  with  variation  of  one  component  at  a  time.  W e  spent  a  lot  of  time  in  the  past  to  apply  different  method  of  machine  learning.  A  classical  approach  was  used  for  partitioning  the  data  into  a  training  set  and  a  validation  set.  But  at  the  end,  no  statistical  model  with  acceptable  predictive  capability  was  found  to  predict  the  v iscosity.  T hat's  why  we  have  decided  to  use  a  different  approach.

Instead  of  using  all  the  data,  we  think  it  is  better  to  create  a  model  by  using  data  close  to  the  composition  where  we  want  to  predict  the  v iscosity.  So  for  example,  if  we  want  to  predict  here,  one  model  will  be  created  from  the  data  we  have  in  this  area,  and  a  different  model  will  be  created  if  we  want  to  predict  the  property  here,  for  example.  T hat's  why  we  say  that  this  technique  is  dynamic  because  the  model  depends  on  the  composition  and  it  is  related  and  fitted  where  we  want  to  predict.  W e  say  that  the  model  is  automatic  because  we  don't  have  to  do  this  manually.

Every  step  is  done  by  a  algorithm  implemented  in  the  tool.  O ne  of  the  most  important  point  is  certainly  the  determination  of  the  optimal  data  set  to  create  the  model.  F or  that,  we  have  implemented  two  methods  of  sub sampling.  In  the  first  method,  a  theoretical  or  virtual  design  of  experiment  is  generated  around  the  composition  of  interests.  Then  each  run  of  the  design  is  replaced  by  the  most  similar  experimental  data  present  in  the  database,  leading  to  the  final  training  data  set.

In  the  second  method,  we  have  implemented  in  the  tool. Th is  is  based  on  different  size  of  data  sets  created  around  the  composition  of  interest.  A  small  data  set  is  generated  by  the  tool  and  model  are  created  on  this  small  subset  to  predict  the  visco sity.  T hen  bigger  and  bigger  data  sets  are  generated  automatically  and  the  optimal  size  is  evaluated  by  several  statistical  criteria  associated  to  each  subsets.

Finally,  the  construction  of  the  models  is  based  on  three  different  algorithms  implemented  in  the  tool.  First  is  a  polynomial  model  obtained  by  a  multi- linear  regression.  Second  is  a  genreg  model  and  neural  net  model.  A t  the  end,  we  have  six  different  calculated  values  which  makes  the  prediction  very  robust.

Let's  go  to  JMP  to  see  how  it  works.  L et  me  first  show  you  the  code.  T he  script,  as  you  can  see,  is  quite  long,  about  700  rows,  which  is a quite  complicated  GSL  code.  The  first  thing  you  have  to  do  is  to  enter  the  composition  of  the  glass  you  want  to  predict  the  viscosity.  T o  do  that,  you  can  use  an  interface  we  have  created.  You  just  have  to  select  the  oxide  entering   the  composition.  F or  each  oxide,  you  just  have  to  enter  the  weight  percent.  Or  if  you  want,  you  can  directly  enter  the  composition  in  the  script,  which  is  a  little  bit  more  quick,  I  would  say.

Then  you  launch  the  script.  I  won't  do  that  now  because  it  takes  about  one  or  two  minutes.  It's  not  very  long.  But  for  this  demo,  I  have  already  run  the  script.  Let  me  show  you  the  results.  At  the  end  of  the  calculation,  you  have  this  window  where  you  can  get  a  statistical  report.  Very  interesting.  First,  here  you  have  the  composition  you  have  entered,  it's  just  a  reminder.  W e  have  the  graph  showing  the  predicted  value.  O n  the  Y  axis,  we  have  the  predicted  values  of  the  viscosity  calculated  by  the  three  algorithm  and  for  the  two  methods.

On  the  X  axis,  we  have  the  number  of  enlargement  for  the  second  method  I  have  described.  I n  red,  which  is  the  most  important  value,  I  would  say,  is  the  average  of  all  the  different  predictions.  I t  is  the  best  prediction,  I  would  say,  of  the  glass  viscosity .  I f  we  need  to  have  more  statistical  details,  we  have  a  lot  of  information  in  this  report  to  study  the  quality  of  each  model.  For  example,  we  can  check  the  values  of  the  PRESS  statistics  for  the  multi- linear  BIC  F  model.

For  example,  here  we  can  see  that  the  PRESS  values  tell  us  that  the  prediction  using  the  method  number  1  is  a  little  bit  better  than  for  the  second  method.  W e  also  see  that  the  model  degradation  with  the  enlargement  of  the  training  set.  We  can  also  check  the  RS quare  values  for  the  two  different  method  and  for  the  different  algorithm,  and  we  can  compare  them.  W e  can  have  even  more  details  on  the  design  of  experiments  that  were  created  and  all  the  formula  of  prediction.  T his  is  a  lot  of  information,  but  there  is  the  most  important  part  here,  which  is  the  predicted  value  of  the  viscosity.

Let's  go  back  to  the  PowerPoint.  T his  is  the  result   obtained for  the  simple  SBN  glass,  which  is,  as  I  said  earlier,  a  simple  glass  with  only  3  oxides.  But  we  have  calculated  the  visco sity for  three  different  composition  of  SBN  glass.  W e  compare  the  results  obtained  from  our  tool  here  with  the  results  from  the  models  available  in  the  literature.  In  term  of  the  relative  error  of  prediction,  it  has  to  be  as  low  as  possible.  W e  can  see  that  the  best  results  of  prediction  are  obtained  with  our  tool,  which  is  really  great.

H ere,  we  have  the  results  obtained  on  more  complex  glasses.  T he  tool  predictive  capability  was  evaluated  by  extracting  230  rows  from  the  global  database.  In  this  table,  we  have  the  relative  error  of  the  visco sity  prediction  for  different  type  of  glass  and  for  the  global  subset  of  data.  Three  quantiles  are  given,  the  median,  meaning  that  50 %  of  the  predicted  values  have  a  relative  error  that  is  below  the  value  indicated  here.  W e  also  give  the  75 %  and  the  90 %  quantiles.  W hen  we  talk  about  glass  v iscosity,  traditionally,  we  consider  that  the  predictive  error,  around  30 %  is  very  good.

W e  see  that  for  the  majority  of  the  data,  the  model  capability  is  fine  and  we  were  very  happy  with  the  results  we  obtained.  Here  are  some  very  important  key  parameters.  It  is  very  important  to  take  into  account  as  many  inputs  from  the  glass  experts  as  possible.  For  example,  we  had  to  create  specific  algorithms  to  handle  the  nature  and  the  wall  of  oxides  and  viscos ity.  Another  point  of  major  importance  is  related  to  the  origin  and  to  the  reliability  of  the  data.

For  this,  a  significant  amount  of  time  in  this  project  has  been  spent  to  the  constitution  of  a  reliable  database.  W e  had  to  implement  ways  and  we  had  to  study  different  ways  of  calculating  the  distances  between  the  glass  composition.  I t's  time  to  conclude  now.  We  have  presented  two  different  case  studies.  In  the  first  case  studies,  we  have  created  several  models  and  we  have  compared  them  for  the  risk  assessment.  We  have  seen  that  it  was  easy  with  JMP  to  perform  Monte  Carlo  simulations,  even  for  mixture  designs  with  constraints.  We  have  seen  that  it  was  easy  also  to  perform  space  filling  design,  and  again,  even  for  mixture  designs.

By  combining  Monte  Carlo  and  space  filling  designs,  worst  case  probability  has  been  estimated.  I n  the  second  study,  we  have  presented  the  tool  we  have  created  with  an  original  method  of  subsampling  the  data.  For  each  composition  of  interest,  a  specific  model  of  viscosity  was  constructed  around  this  composition,  and  we  have  seen  that  the  prediction  accuracy  on  the  visco sity  was  very  promising  and  much  better  than  models  available  in  the  literature.  Thank  you  for  your  attention.