cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Don’t Lose Time Anymore: Automated Access, Visualization and Evaluation of Production Environments (2023-EU-30MP-1347)

Ole Lühn, Quality Assurance Manager, BASF

This presentation demonstrates how to access different production plant data to look into all corners of a production plant for quality assurance. JMP was used to access production, process, and quality data with one click. The presentation shows how data accessed via REST-API from an existing application was optimized by data import, data cleanup of input tables using JSL, and visualization of automated dashboards. Specification and control limit management for automated reporting was critical. Also, where data import possibilities were limited, a combination of Python and JMP was used to import process factors and responses for each production step of interest in mass production plants. A full range of quality assurance tools will be demonstrated, which could be used to begin helpful discussions with production teams for continuous improvement plans and PDCA Cycles.

Hello,  everybody.  My  name  is  Ole  Lühn  and  I  am  member  of  Global  Quality  Assurance  at  BASF.   Today  at  the  JMP  Discovery  Summit  in  Europe  2023  in  Sitges  in  Spain,  I  want  to  talk  about  my  topic,  which  is  called  Don't  Lose  Your  Time  Anymore,  Automatic  Assess,  Visualisation  and  Evaluation  of  Product  Environmental.  So  how  to  get  fast  access  to  your  production  sites.

And  here  in  the  background,  we  see  the  site  I'm  working  at,  which  is  BASF  Schwarz heide  in  Germany.  On  this  picture  and  on  this  slide,  you  see  all  the  sites  of  BASF  worldwide.  So  there  are  Verbund  sites,  which  is  a  combination  of  different  production  environments.  We  have  R&D  centers,  production  sites,  and  regional  centers.  And  for  Europe,  I  am  located  in  Schwartzheide.  And  on  the  next  slide,  I  will  show  you  a  little  bit  more  detail  where  Schwartzheide  is  located.

I  am  working,  in  fact,  with  different  sites  closely  together,  which  are  Ludwig shafen,  which  is  the  main  part  or  the  main  site  of  our  company  with  approximately  39,000  employees.  And  Schwartzheide  is  located  roughly  140  kilometre  south  of  Berlin,  and  we  have  about  2,000  employees.

Today   at  the  JMP  Discovery  Summit  in  Sitges,  which  is  located  a  little  bit  north  of  Tarragona  and  south  of  Barcelona,  we  are  having  the  Discovery  Summit. I  explicitly  showed  Tarragona  here  on  the  slide  because  I  have  also  worked  with  them  to  do  where  we  formulate  our  end -use  product,  which  we  sell  to  the  market.  And  on  the  upper  right  corner,  you  see  a  glance  of  Europe  side  from  BASF,  and  for  the  color  code,  please  see  the  previous  slide.

I  am  working  in  Schwartzheide,  and  here  you  can  see  the  picture  of  the  site  as  of  today.  So  the  plant  where  I  am  working  at  and  where  I  am  working  for  is  in  the  orange  rectangular  shown  here  on  this  picture,  and  on  the  lower  left,  this  picture  shows  the  view  from  my  former  office.   I  had  a  look  out  of  the  window  and  could  see  the  plant  where  I  was  working  for.  So  at  that  time,  I  was  still  located  in  a  different  office.   Of  course,  I  want  to  know  more  about  what  is  happening  in  the  plant,  and  that  is  what  my  talk  is  about,  to  have  access  to  data  in  the  plant  when  you're  not  currently  working  there.

So  the  introduction  of  BASF  and  me,  I  am  a  member   in  the  business  unit,  Agricultural  Solutions,  in  the  team  of  the  Global  Quality  Assurance.  And  I  am  a  JMP  user  since  roughly  JMP  9,  so  it  must  be  something  2010.  My  task  is  to  assure  production  processes  and  times  of quality, so  quality  assurance.  Also,  I  am  working  in  quality  management  and  I  am  a ud itor  for  different  ISO  norms,  and  I  am  involved  in  nonconformance  management  and  deviation  management.

For  the  final  product,  I'm  responsible  for  the  release,  and  I  also  have  to  sign  each  COA  that  we  pack  and  that  we  pack  to  the  product  shippings  around  the  world,  and  on  each  COA,  I  have  to  sign.  So  I  want  to  know  what  is  happening  in  the  production.  So  from  a  statistical  point  of  view,  I  want  to  know  if  there  are  differences  in  the  production  or  in  the  production  process  and  the  production  environment.  From  a  practical  point  of  view,  I  need  to  evaluate  if  these  differences  do  really  matter.   I  want  to  know  the  details  of  the  production  as  fast  as  possible  and  as  easily  available  as  possible,  and  that's  why  I  started  this  topic  a  while  ago.  My  goal  is  to  have  a  proper  root  cause  analysis,  preventive  and  corrective  actions  in  nonconformance  management.

The  work  started  roughly  2020  when  we  all  realized  that  the  corona  pandemic  was  developing.  And  like  in  many  companies,  there  was  a  restrictive  access  to  the  plant.  So  while  I  was  sitting  at  home,  I  was  asking  myself  how  to  get  access  to  the  data  from  the  plant  without  being  on  site.  So  how  can  I  see  what  happens  in  the  plant  when  I'm  not  really  sitting  in  the  plant?  And  how  can  I  be  part  of  the  production  and  the  production  teams  when  I'm  not  available  around?

So  the  idea  is  that  I  go  digital  to  the  plant  and  realize  what  happens.  Without  the  data  access  control  V  and  control  V,  which  takes  everybody  notices  in  our  community  days,  maybe,  or  hours  to  get  a  real  evaluation  done.  So  my  idea  came  up  while  I  was  participating  on  a  seminar  on  the  tablet  production  process  in  the  JMP  lecture  courses,  and  my  goal  was  to  have  the  highest  degree  of  automation  in  my  data  access  in  seconds.

Here  is  what  it  is  all  about.  So  here  on  this  picture,  you  see  a  general  overview  of  our  plants.   In  fact,  we  have  three  plants  which  are  producing  parallel  our  product.  And  the  very  general  value  stream  is  shown  on  the  top  of  this  graph.  We  start  with  raw  materials,  we  have  intermediates  in  our  process,  and  we  go  to  the  final  product.  So  this  data  of  the  last  three  processes  is  available  via  a   REST-API  interface  where  I  can  get  the  data  from.

All  the  data  is  prepared  in  one  table.  I  have  the  time,  I  have  my  final  lot,  I  have  the  QC  data  of  my  final  product,  and  for  my  intermediates,  I  have  different  factors  and  different  responses  available.   What  I  mean  with  factors  and  responses  is  shown  on  the  upper  right  picture,  which  I  took  from  the  JMPs  course.

This  work  was  started  with  a  colleague  from  me,  Bernd  Heinen,  who  helped  me  out  in  writing  the  scripts  and  preparing  my  data  access.   This  is  what  I  want  to  show  you  now  in  JMP.   We  prepared  our  scripts  in  a  very  easy  way.   We  put  the   REST-API  address  here  in  our  scripts.  We  do  some  scripting  instructions.  I  had  a  problem  with  the  data  time  format  when  this  table  was  imported  into  JMP.  I  was  asking  in  the  community  and  someone  gave  me  the  solution  for  my  time  formatting  problem.  I  add  some  specs  to  my  columns  and  I  save  it  on  a  drive.  I  always  save  it  as  an  Excel  file  as  well.

The  data  which  is  shown  here  is  the  data  for  one  of  my  plants.  I  opened  this  table  now.  It's  table  number  two.  Here  I  have  my  time  of  different  processes  in  the  plant.  I  have  the  lot  of  my  final  product.  I  have  the  response,  the QC  data  of  my  final  product,  responses  and  factors  of  previous  processes.

Firstly,  I'm  interested  in  the  final  product.  I  started  to  plot  the  data  in  the  control  chart  of  one  of  my  responses  for  my  final  product.  However,  it  is  an  X -bar  and  R -chart.  The  reason  for  this  is  that  from  my  last  intermediate,  five  lots  are  put  together  in  the  final  reactor,  and  therefore,  the  X -bar  and  R -chart  is  created,  and  not  the  individual  and  moving  range  chart,  which  I  am  interested  in.  So  I  need  to  do  a  little  bit  of  data  preparation  work.

The  outcome  of  the  data  preparation  work  is  shown  on  the  lower  part  of  the  slide  where  I  have  the  access  of  all  three  plants  parallel,  I  can  do  my  data  preparation.  I  use  the  function  in  JMP  to  concatenate  these  data  tables  and  I  can  plot  easily  an  overview  of  my  final  QC  data  in  this  video.  I  use  the  Fit Y -by -X  platform  for  the  three  plans,  use  the  column  switcher  and  recorded  a  video.  Everything  is  possible  within  seconds.

The  idea  of  my  work  started  when  I  had  a  look  at  the  tablet  production  processes  or  the  tablet  production  process  from  the  JMP  lecture.  Here  we  have  this  red  triangle  which  shows  us  suspicious  values  in  a  production  trend.  My  idea  was  to  also  create  in  my  data  table  a  column  where  I  add  suspicious  data  or  suspicious  results  and  color  it  in  a  binary  format.

I  changed  my  continuous  variable  into  a  binary  one,  like  good  or  bad.  For  me,  it  is  more  easy  to  discuss  this  with  the  team  from  statistical  point  of  view  and  everybody  in  our  community  knows  this  as  well.  There  are  more  powerful  ways  in  order  to  get  this  data  analyzed  for  regression,  for  example.  However,  I  choose  this  way.  I  will  show  you  what  I  mean.  I  prepared  this  in  my  slides.

wanted  to  have  these  indicators,  good  or  bad,  or  suspicious  or  not  suspicious  in  my  data  table,  so  this  data  table  is  taken  from  the  JMP  library,  the  tablet  production  process.  And  in  the  end,  I  had  my  data  prepared  like  this.

added  a  column  to  my  data  table.  Here,  because  I  had  five  lots  of  my  intermediates,  I  needed  to  split  my  data  first  and  to  evaluate  only  the  final  product.  I  added  a  column  where  I  evaluated  on  my  individual  and  moving  range  charts  how  is  the  data  distributed?  And  here  we  can  see  that  my  internal  specification  is  far  above  my  data.  However,  there  are  suspicious  events  in  the  production  process.

And  this  data  I  can  also  plot  in  a  dashboard  here  where  I  cut  off  above  the  upper  control  limit  my  data.  With  this  data  prepared,  I  can  have  easy  discussions  with  my  team  and  tell  them,  "Look,  here,  what  happened  here?  I  just  added  time  and  say  roughly  around  this  time,  we  had  a  suspicious  event  here  in  our  factory.  What  happened?"

Let's  go  back  to  the  JMP  table  or  to  the  presentation.  I  created  this  column,  good  or  bad.  And  from  a  statistical  point  of  view,  we  know  that  regression  is  better.  The  script  in  order  to  evaluate  all  this  data  at  once  within  20  seconds  of  time  is  containing  actions  like  to  split  the  data,  make  a  summary,  analyze  the  control  limit,  summarize  my  control  limit  in  an  extra  table,  introduce  this  column.

First  I  did  it  manually,  but  I  now  had  a  nice  script  to  do  it  automatically.  I  merged  my  data,  my  summary  back  into  my  first  data  table,  which  I  extracted  from  my   REST-API  interface  here,  and  it's  done.  Everything  was  in  seconds,  and  from  the  JMP  team,  Florian  helped  me  to  do  this  here.

Here  is  just  the  proposal  for  me  and  for  people  who  work  in  the  quality  department,  how  to  discuss  these  graphs  with  the  team.  Of  course,  there  are  different  ways  how  to  analyze  data  in  JMP.  I  like  most  the  Fit  Y -by -X  platform,  and  I  also  like  the  hypothesis  testing  ways  which  are  shown  on  the  video  here  on  slide  seven,  where  I  plot  the  three  plants  parallel  to  each  other  and  go  through  all  my  QC  data  of  interest  and  compare  it.

Furthermore,  I  also  like  the  process  performance  graph  which  is  available  in  JMP.  But  one  way  of  analyzing  my  data  is  also  that  I  can  easily  plot  Pareto  plots  of  my  out -of -control  events.  I  have  the  data  prepared.  We  go  to  the  table.  We  have  only  the  values  which  are  not  okay  or  above  the  control  limit  selected.  I  click  on  Pareto  Plots  and  I  can  discuss  this  easily  with  the  team  and  tell  them  these  two  variables  are  most  of  the  time   out-of-control.  What  do  we  do?

I  can  also  compare  three  plants  at  once  immediately.  It's  more  or  less  the  same,  but  I  can  have  a  look  here  and  create  meetings  and  discuss  about  suspiciencies  between  the  three  factories.  So  obviously  the  factory  which  is  colored  red,  there  the  less   out-of-control  events  are  created.  This  is  part  of  my  story  to  have  fast  data  available  here  to  to  be  discussed  in  the  teams.

Of  course,  I  know  that  there  are  different  options  in  JMP,  so  we  can  do  regression,  we  can  do  predictor  screenings,  and  the  data  table  for  the  predictor  screening  is  also  shown  here.  In  fact,  I  have  my  final  data  table  which  I  extracted  from  the  REST -API  interface,  and  I  have  this   out-of-control  column  added  to  my  previous  data,  and  I  can  do  a  predictor  screening  and  I  can  have  a  look.

Where  are  the  factors  in  the  plant  which  influence  the  outcome  in  my  final  product  first? Of  course.  Okay,  he's  doing  the  calculation  at  the  moment.  Of  course,  these  kind of things  are  difficult  to  discuss,  and  it's  also  not  part  of  my  job  to  discuss  here  about  process  suspiciencies.  My  topic  is  quality  and  I  want  to  reduce  the  number  of  off -spec  events  in  the  plant.  I'm  talking  about  off -spec  and  not   out-of-control  anymore.

We  had  a  time...  I  go  to  the  right  part  of  the  slide.  We  had  a  time  in  the  plant  where  we  created   off-spec  events.  I  did  a  partition  with  the  data  and  the  data  told  me,  "Look  here,  this  is  suspicious,  below  12,000  or  13,000.  Below  this  value,  it  is  most  probably  that  we  create   off-spec  events."  Here  in  the  graph  builder,  these  events  are  marked  red.  Obviously,  this  is  important.  It  is  a  summary  of  chemicals  that  we  put  on  a  filter  unit  in  the  plant.  I  will  show  you  the  video  soon.

The  second  step  is  that  in  the  partition,  we  came  to  the  conclusion  that  above  a  certain  solven t  dosing,  it  is  most  probable  or  it  is  likely  that  we  produce   off-spec  lots.  There  are  two  results  from  this  evaluation.  Don't  put  too  much  and  be  careful  with  the  solven t  dosing.

Now  I  want  to  show  you  the  video.  During  the  this  time,  we  sent  a  colleague  to  the  plant  and  he  took  videos  out  of  this  reactor.  The  red  rectangular  is  actually  more  or  less  the  amount  of  what  we  put  here  on  the  filter  unit.  The  green  rectangular  is  the  amount  of  solvent,  which  is  dosed  afterwards.   If  it's  too  few  put  on  the  filter,  and  too  much  solvent,  obviously  we  created  here  a  problem.  After  we  discussed  this  with  the  team,  it  was  about  one -and -a -half  years  ago,  we  did  not  have  these  events  anymore  in  the  factory  or  in  the  plant.  So  for  me,  it  was  a  quite  successful  story  how  we  came  here  to  the  conclusion  that  we  can  be  more  careful  in  our  plant  about  our  processes.

My  primary  result  of  this  first  part  of  my  talk  is  that  via  the  scripts  and  the  way  I  imported  data  to  JMP  via  the   REST-API  interface,  it  is  possible  to  sharpen  the  awareness  in  the  production  with  respect  to  deviations.  Of  course,  there  are  more  powerful  regression  possibilities  in  the  tool  which  we  are  using,  but  it  is  not  my  job  as  a  quality  manager.   The  goal  is  to  hand  over  here  a  powerful  tool  which  we  can  use  in  our  factory  and  plant  for  deviation  management  and  root  cause  analysis.   My  idea  is  if  someone  is  not  wanting  to  use  our  tool  JMP  or  wants  to  use  a  different  tool,  I  can  save  always  the  scripts  or  the  files  as  Excel  tables.

However,  only  the  last  three  processes  are  available  here,  and  it  is  limited  because  this  is  a  project  which  was  started   2017  to  prepare  all  this  data  correlation  and  time  between  these  three  processes.  However,  what  do  I  do  if  I'm  interested  in  previous  processes  like  the  raw  material  or  my  first  intermediate?  How  can  I  get  this  data  in  to  jump  from  the  outside  of  the  plant?

Therefore,  I  started  to  use  and  to  investigate  the  interface  and  the  possibilities  to  import  data  via  a  connection  between  Python  and  Azure.  It  started  all  when  we  had  the  manufacturing  execution  system  changed  by  the  end  of  2020.

The  way  I  tried  to  go  was  stopped  because  this  manufacturing  execution  system  was  stopped.  I  thought,  "Was  everything  for  nothing  now?"  No.  I  found  a  paper  which  was  written  about  the  synergies  from  JMP  and  JMP  Pro  with  Python.  The  concept  is  shown  here  on  the  left  side  of  the  slide.  In  fact,  I  have  a  JMP  script,  I  have  a  Python  part,  and  I  have  an  option  in  this  Azure  where  I  do  my  data  access.  Everything  is  also  possible  within  seconds  to  get  the  data  out  of  the  plant.  All  is  written  here  in  the  scripting  guide,  page  786.  These  are  only  a  few  pages.  If  questions  come  up,  Emanuel  from  the  JMP  team  helped  me  here  to  do  this.

Here's  the  concept.  Let  me  move  this  Zoom  picture.  On  the  left  part,  it's  what  everybody  in  the  chemical  industry  knows.  Raw  materials  are  delivered  in  trucks.  They  are  stored  in  a  tank  farm  and  the  production  has  to  use  raw  material,  of  course.  And  raw  material  is  consumed  during  the  production  processes  and  new  raw  materials  are  delivered  and  the  tanks  are  refilled  again.  So  we  have  a  certain  level  and  everything  is  fine.

It  starts  and  the  way  to  investigate  here  and  to  get  the  data  in to  JMP  is  we  have  to  look  up  our  individual  process  of  interest.  Every  point  of  interest  in  the  plant  has  a  certain  number,  and  this  number  needs  to  be  fined.  So  you  can  ask  colleagues,  you  can  ask  SAP,  you  can  ask  the  automation  team,  you  can  have  a  look  by  yourself.  You  need  to  find  a  way  in  your  company  who  can  help  you.

When  you  found  the  number,  you  have  to  make  the  request  in  Azure.  This  number  I  was  talking  about  here,  it's  named  at  us,  it's  the  unique  ID.  I  type  in  here  how  many  days  back  I  want  to  see  the  data.  I  test  it  in  Azure.  He  creates  a  table  and  I  put  this  code  into  my  JMP  script  and  I  click  on  execute.  This  is  what  I  show  you  now.  It's  also  done  in  few  seconds  only  here.

This  first  part  you  need  to  get  from  colleagues  or  you  can  look  up  in  the  internet.  I  looked  up  in  the  internet  and  this  is  not  part  of  JMP  support.  Here  you  can  see  that  within  seconds  I  can  have  a  look  at  the  filling  level  of  some  of  our  raw  material  tanks  or  the  tank  farm.  This  is  the  concept  that  any  process  of  interest  can  be  imported  like  this  into  JMP  within  seconds.

I  wrote  a  manual  or  a  journal  how  this  can  be  done,  and  I  will  publish  it  also  with  my  work  in  the  community.  If  you  don't  know  how  to  do  it,  it's  written  here.  Where  you  can  find  it  in  the  scripting  index,  I  have  a  paper  here  how  you  test  your  system.  I  have  a  few  recommendations  for  the  help  in  the  scripting  index,  and  also  I  found  some  answers  which  I  placed  before  in  the  community,  so  I  hope  to  have  also  feedback  from  me  documented  there,  and  I  showed  you  how  to  extract  data  from  anywhere  in  the  FAB  or  in  the  plant.  And  this  brings  me  to  the  end  of  my  talk.

The  summary  is  that  product  deviations  happen  to  all  of  us.  So  here  I  show  you  some  quality  assurance  tools,  and  via  one  click,  I  have  all  my  necessary  graphs  and  information  prepared  like  this  to  discuss  with  the  team.  My  message  is  that  don't  be  afraid  from  using  the  JSL  scripting  language  that  I  was  before.  When  you  start,  you  learn  fast  and  you  get  the  job  done.  You  can  prepare  good  discussions  with  your  production  teams  and  you  can  start  continuous  improvement  plans  and  PDCAs,  and  everything  can  be  available  within  a  few  seconds.

also  have  some  ideas  how  to  go  on  here,  and  there  I  need  the  help  from  you,  so  from  the  colleagues  from  which  are  attending  the  conference.  Maybe  you  can  help  me  automate  and  schedule  my  evaluations.  I  know  that  this  can  be  done  in  JMP  Live  in  version  17.  If  you  don't  have  it,  I  need  to  use  the  Windows  Scheduler.  For  example,  I  need  to  improve  a  little  bit  by  creating  add -ins,  and  the  data  cleaning  still  can  be  a  little  bit  bit  more  better  and  improved,  but  okay.

My  main  goal  was  to  make  the  members  talk  more  about  suspicious  events  in  our  factory  and   out-of-control  events,  which  is  the  lower  right  part  of  the  picture  of  the  slide,  and  less  about   off-spec  events  and   out-of-control  events.  From  quality  management  point  of  view,  I  really  am  a  fan  of  turtle  diagrams  and  turtle  tools  to  document  your  improvements.

This  brings  me  to  the  end  of  my  talk.  I  hope  you  enjoyed  it  as  well  as  me  when  I  was  preparing  this  work,  and  I'm  looking  forward  to  your  questions  and  to  see  you  in  Spain.  Thank  you.