cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Automatic Data Refresh in JMP® Live 17 (2023-EU-30MP-1194)

Brian Corcoran, JMP Director of Research and Development, JMP

In past Discovery talks, we've shown how to acquire data, create a report, and publish it to JMP® Live using the desktop task scheduler. But what if your JMP Live report does not change daily? What if only the data changes, and you want to share those updates with your colleagues? JMP Live can now schedule the refresh of your data on JMP Live without having to publish your work again. This presentation will show how to use this new capability and discuss this new feature in the context of JMP and JMP Live plans.

<meta charset="utf-8" /> 2023-EU-30MP-1194 - Automatic Data Refresh in JMP Live 17.mp4

Playback Rate 1

2023-EU-30MP-1194 - Automatic Data Refresh in JMP Live 17.mp4

My  name  is   Brian Corcoran,  and  welcome  to  Automatic  Refresh  of  Data  in  JMP  Live  17.  I'm  a  JMP  Development  Manager,  and  my  group  is  responsible  for  JMP  Live.

What  is  JMP  Live?  For  those  of  you  who  may  not  know , it  may  be  worth  giving  you  a  little  introduction.  JMP  Live  is  a  web- based  collaboration  site,  so  users  can  publish  reports  from  JMP,  their  desktop  version  of  JMP,  and  the  data  to  JMP  Live. Users  at  JMP  Live  can  interact  with  those  reports,  and  if  they  have  JMP,  they  can  also  download  them  to  work  on  those  reports  with  their  desktop  copy  of  JMP.  A  copy  of  JMP  is  not  necessary,  though,  to  use  the  JMP  Live  site.

Now,  in  JMP  Live  15  and  16,  we  required  users  to  publish  new  content  from  the  desktop  application  in  order  to  update  things.  A  common  request  that  we  got  is  that  it'd  be  nice  if  the  server  could  do  this  for  me  when  I'm  not  working  or  whatever,  and  I  could  just  look  at  an  updated  copy  at  my  leisure.

That  forced  us  to  revisit  how  we  treat  data  in  JMP  Live  17.   JMP  Live  17  really  represents  a  major  rewrite  of  the  product.  We  made  data  an  equal  to  a  report.  Before  that,  it  was  along  for  the  ride  hidden,  and  you  really  wouldn't  see  it  being  transmitted  up  to  JMP  Live.

Now  you  can  publish  data  independently.  You  can  look  at  it  on  the  JMP  Live  site.  You  can  update  just  the  data  in  any  reports  that  use  it,  and  they  can  share  that  data  will  all  automatically  be  recreated  with  that  new  data.  This  work  was  all  done  to  provide  the  foundation  for  refreshable  data.

Here,  the  contents  of  the  data  post  on  JMP  Live  are  refreshed  on  the  server  side,  and  there's  no  intervention  by  a  user  in  the  JMP  desktop  client.  Usually,  data  of  this  nature  is  in  a  database  or  some  REST- based  web  endpoint  or  something  like  that.  It  has  to  be  data  that  is  accessible  from  the  server  where  you  have  JMP  Live  installed.

JMP  Live  provides  us,  we  hope,  easy  to  use  scheduler,  so  you  can  put  in  a  repeatable,  hands- free  refresher  of  your  data.   This  fulfills  the  dream  of,  I  go  home  at  night  and  the  data  is  refreshed,  the  reports  are  regenerated.  When  I  come  in  the  morning  and  I'm  drinking  my  tea  or  coffee  or  whatever,  I  can  look  at  the  updated  report  and  make  decisions  based  on  that  new  data.

I'm  going  to  provide  a  variety  of  scenarios  on  how  you  can  learn  to  do  data  you  fresh  with  JMP  Live.   Let  me  first  shut  down  PowerPoint,  and  I'll  bring  up  a  copy  of  JMP  Pro  17,  but  this  will  work  on  regular  JMP  equally  well.

All  right,  so  first , I'm  going  to  start  with  a  really  simple  explanation  of  how  we  separate  reports  and  data  in  JMP  Live  17.  I  think  it's  important  to  understand  that  before  we  proceed  to  the  more  complicated  examples.

I'm  just  going  to  bring  up  a  sample  data  set  that  we  ship  with  JMP,  the  financial  data.  It's  just  data  for  500  companies  across  a  variety  of  industries,  and  you  can  see  them  organized  by  type.   It's  basically  a  sales  profitability  data  number  of  employees,  things  like  that.

Let's  suppose  that  I  create  a  simple  bivariate  plot  of  sales  by  number  of  employees .   There's  not  a  lot  to  it,  but  I  can  hover  over  the  points  and  see  the  data.  Let's  suppose  I  want  to  publish  that  to  JMP  Live.

I'm  wanting  to  go  here,  and  I'm  going  to  say  publish  report  to  JMP  Live.  I've  set  up  a  connection  to  a  server  that's  internal  to  SaaS and  that  has  access  to  SaaS  resources  here.  I'm  going  to  publish  this  as  a  new  report.

I've  set  up  a  folder  called  Discovery  to  publish  this  report  into.   We'll  just  go  ahead  and  do  that.  The  first  time  it  makes  the  connection,  it  can  take  a  little  bit  longer,  but  there  we  go.  Let's  go  ahead  and  bring  up  this  JMP  Live  release.  I'm  going  to  go  to  my  space  that  I  just  published  to,  Brian  Corcoran,  in  my  Discovery  folder.

There  is  my  report.  If  I  open  it  up,  you  can  see  I  can  hover  over  it  just  like  I  did  in  JMP.  But  I'm  looking  at  this,  and  it's  a  boring  report.  There's  not  a  lot  to  it.  Maybe  I  should  have  included  some  more  information.

Well,  let's  go  back  to  our  report.  There  we  go.  Let's  suppose  I  want  to  add  a  fit  mean  and  a  fit  line  to  that.  I  also  want  to  supply  a  local  data  filter.  I'm  going  to  make  a  filter  by  industry  type  so  that  I  can  cycle  through  each  industry  and  look  at  the  individual  companies  involved.  If  I  get  the  drug  pharmaceutical  companies,  I  can  hover  over  the  one  with  the  most  sales,  and  we  see  it's  9.8  billion.

Now,  let's  suppose  that  I  want  to  update  this  report.  But  in  the  meantime,  maybe  I've  got  information  that  says,  "Hey,  this  is  not  a   $9 billion  company.  It's  a  $19  billion  company,  but  I'm  waiting  for  verification  on  that.  I  don't  want  to  publish  the  data  with  this,  but  I  really  would  like  to  update  the  contents  of  my  graphic.  Well,  we  can  still  do  that.

I'm  going  to  go  ahead  and  publish  the  report.  But  this  time,  we're  going  to  do  a  replace  operation.   We'll  select  replace  an  existing  report  down  here.   It's  going  to  ask  us,  what  report  do  you  want  to  replace?   It's  going  to  give  us  the  candidates  like  the  most  recently  accessed, and so   there's  our  financial  report .  I'm  going  to  say  next  there.

Here  it  says,  "What  do  you  want  to  do  about  the  data? I'm  going  to  select,  Use  the  data  that's  already  up  on  JMP  Live.   I'll  say  replace  the  report.   It  goes  ahead  and  does  that.

If  I  go  up  to  my  site,  I  can  see  that  it  did  indeed  add  my  fit  lines  and  means  and  my  data  filter.  I  can  manipulate  these  like  we  do  in  JMP,  but  you'll  see  that  my  outlier  company  still  is  a  $9  billion  company.  All  right,  so  we  did  not  update  the  data.

Now,  let's  suppose  I've  shut  this  report  down,  but  I  do  get  information  that  the  sales  are  indeed  $19  billion  for  drug  company  number  one.  I  can  choose  to  publish  just  the  data.   I'll  say,  Update  existing  data.   Once  again,  I'll  select  my  financial  post,  and  I want  to  replace  that.

Now  you  see  that  it's  automatically  reloading  the  data .  It's  going  to  recalculate  all  of  our  statistics  down  here  as  well  with  new  fit  lines  and  that.  Now  we  can  see  that  our  outlier  is  represented  here  as  a  $ 19  billion  company.  If  I  wanted  to,  I  could  even  bring  up  the  data  with  the  data  viewer  that  I  mentioned  earlier , allowing  us  to  explore  that,  and  there  is  our  update  to  our  drug  data  for  company  number  one.

All  right,  so  that  is  the  separation  of  reports  and  data,  and  that  provides  the  foundation  for  our  data  refresh.  Let's  go  ahead  and  get  into  a  real  refresh  example.  Let's minimize  this  for  a  minute,  and  do  a  little  cleanup  because  otherwise,  we  will  get  confused  where  we're  at.

Now,  my  next  example  will  be  a  simple  data  refresh,  and  it  allows  me  to  introduce  another  feature  that's  new  to  JMP  17,  and  that  is  access  to  the   OSI Pi Historian database.  If  you're  not  familiar  with  historian  databases,  they're  often  used  to  collect  lots  of  process  data,  maybe  from  manufacturing  lines,  lots  of  different  machines  and  devices,  putting  real -time  data  into  a  database.   Then  you  can  look  at  this  historian  database  at  your  leisure  to  analyze  trends  and  see  where  there  are  problems.

We  have  a  historian  database  with  sample  data  here  at  SaaS,  and  I'm  going  to  select  that  and  get  some  information  out  of  that.  Here  is  our  connection  to  the  PI  server.   I'll  open  the  sample  data  area.

What  we  have  here  is  a  simulated  data  center  where  we  have  lots  and  lots  of  racks  of  computer  servers.   Essentially,  we're  looking  at  power  consumption  on  all  of  those  to  see  where  we're  spending  a  lot  of  money  and  things  like  that.   All  of  these  represent  a  table,  and  we  can  import  all  of  these  at  once  if  we  wanted  to.

I'm  just  going  to  import  the  data  for  power  meter  number  one  here.   This  is  old  data.  I'm  going  to  go  back  in  time  on  it.  I'm  going  to  ask  for  5,000  points.  I'll  take  just  a  second  or  two  to  import,  but  we'll  start  that  up.  There's  our  data.

I  would  call  your  attention  right  here  to  this  source  script.  This  is  important.  If  we  edit  this,  we'll  see  that  it  contains  information  to  recreate  this  data  fetch,  including  the  location  of  our  P I server,  the  actual  table  here  that  we  want  to  import,  how  many  points  we  want.   This  will  be  useful.

Let's  go  ahead,  though,  and  just  create  a  simple  run  chart  and  control  chart.  I  can  select  that,  and  we're  just  going  to  do  the  values.  All  right,  so  there  it  is.  Let's  go  ahead  and  publish  that  to  our  JMP  Live  server.

All  right,  I'm  going  to  publish  that  as  a  new  report  back  into  our  Discovery  folder.  I'm  just  going  to  publish  it  as  is.  Close  that,  and  we'll  bring  up  our  browser.  We  are  going  to  go  to  a  different  session.  Hold  on.  We  are  going  to  look  at  my  Brian  Corcoran  space  again.

In  the  Discovery  folder,  we'll  find  our  Atlanta  data  center.  Now,  we  can  open  in  that  up  and  see  the  points  and  all  that.  We  know  how  that  works.

I'm  going  to  call  your  attention  to  these  Files  tab,  though.   Here  we  have  our  financial  report.  But  here's  our  Atlanta  data  center  report.  This  is  the  report,  but  this  is  the  data  table,  so  let's  click  on  this.

There's  the  report  that's  based  on  the  data  if  there  are  multiple  reports  that  I'll  show  here.   Here's  the  settings,  and  here's  where  it  gets  interesting.  There  is  our  source  script  that  we  had  down  in  our  table  in  JMP.

Here's  something  called  a  refresh  script.  Let's  just  concentrate  on  these  two  panes  now.  The  source  script  has  been  uploaded  with  the  data,  and  it  provides  us  a  basis  for  how  we  could  recreate  this  data.  A  refresh  script  is  a  piece  of  JSL  that  is  going  to  supply  data  when  a  report  records  it.

There's  one  big  rule  for  a  refresh  script,  and  that  is  that  the  last  operation  that  it  performs  must  be  to  return  a  data  table.   Essentially,  data  refreshes  are  done  through  JSL  scripts.  Let's  enable  this  refreshable  button.  Let's  copy  this  script  as  the  basis  for  our  refresh  script.  I'm  just  going  to  paste  this  in  here.

If  you  remember  earlier  when  we  were  looking  at  the  P I dialog,  I  said  you  could  import  all  kinds  of  tables  at  once .  Because  of  that,  OSI  PI  import  JSL  returns  a  list  of  data  tables,  not  a  single  data  table,  but  a  list.   Our  rule  for  a  refresh  script  is  it  must  return  a  single  data  table.   We  need  to  get  to  that  point.

I'm  going  to  assign  this  output  of  this  refresh  script  to  a  list  variable  that  I  just  arbitrarily  named  DT  list.  I'm  going  to  put  a  semi colon  on  this  run  statement.  Now  I  am  going  to  assign  the  first  element  in  that  list,  which  is  the  only  table  that  we  have  and  the  only  table  we  care  about  to  a  variable  named  DT.  Since  that's  the  last  operation  in  the  script,  that's  what's  going  to  be  returned  here.

While  we're  at  it,  though,  why  don't  we  go  ahead  and  we're  going  to  change  it  to  return  10,000  points.  I'll  save  that  script  out.  Now,  let's  go  ahead  and  try  this  out.  Here's  a  button  we  can  manually  refresh  our  data  server  side.  I'll  say  yes,  we  know  what  we're  doing.  We  want  to  do  this.

All  right,  I said  it  was  done  three  minutes  ago,  and  then  it  changes  to  a  few  seconds  ago.  Let's  look  at  our  report.   Here's  our  report.  Let's  look  at  it.  It  looks  a  little  different  than  the  one  we  had  back  in  JMP  because  now  we  have  10,000  points  of  data.  We've  done  all  of  this  on  the  JMP  Live  server,  not  on  the  desktop  client.

Now  we  could  recreate  that  on  the  server , if  we  want,  without  ever  having  to  involve  our  client.  Let's  go  ahead . That's  our  first  example  of  data  refresh.  I'm  going  to  clean  this  up,  so  we  don't  get  confused  with  our  other  work.

A  common  operation  where  you'd  want  to  do  a  data  refresh  is  a  fetch  of  data  from  a  database.  One  of  the  big  ones  is  Postgres,  and  I'm  going  to  show  an  example  of  fetching  from  Postgres.  Before  I  do  that,  I'm  going  to  go  ahead I'm  going  to  change  the  JMP  Live  server  that  I'm  accessing.  This  one  is  actually  outside  of  SaaS  resources.  I  can  go  to  manage  connections  here.

You  can  actually  look  at  this  yourself.  It's  devlive 17.j mp.c om.  If  you  go  out  there,  you'll  be  able  to  see  these  reports.   For  this  one,  I'm  going  to  bring  up   Query Builder.  On  Amazon  Web  Services,  I  have  created  a  Postgres  database  full  of  sample  data.   I'm  going  to  open  that  up.

I  have  some  stock  quotes  for  Apple  computers  that  I  just  put  up  there  for  demonstration  purposes.  Let's  go  ahead  and  open  that  up.  I'm  going  to  just  build  a  query  quickly.  I  only  have  date  and  quote  data.

This  is  essentially  the  closing  quote  of  the  stock  price  for  the  end  of  the  day,  and  it  starts  on  the  January  1st  of  last  year.   Let's  go  ahead  and  just  run  that  query.  You  see  what  I'm  doing  here.  Let's  take  this  a  little  bit  further.  I'm  going  to  shut  this  down.

Now,  another  new  feature  of  JMP  17  is  something  called  the   Workflow Builder.  I'd  like  to  integrate  the   Workflow Builder  into  this  demonstration  tool.   Let's  do  that.  I'm  going  to  go  over  here , and  I'm  going  to  say  New  workflow.

It's  going  to  capture  my  actions  as  I  do  them.  I'm  going  to  start  recording  that  workflow.   Let's  go  ahead  and  we're  going  to  run  our  query  again,  this  time  with  the  workflow  recording  it.

It'll  capture  that  query.   You  see  here,  if  we  look  at  our  source  script  again,  once  again,  this  has  information  on  how  to  connect  to  that  Postgres  database,  the  table  that  we  want  to  look  at  here,  and  what  the  query  actually  is.

Now,  let's  suppose  after  the  fact  that...  I don't  want  that.  Let's  see.  Let's  suppose  after  the  fact  that  we  decide  we  want  to  do  some  manipulation  on  this  table.   Maybe  I  want  to  do  a  subset  of  the  table  based  on  a  where  clause.

Now,  I  probably  could  have  done  this  in   Query Builder,  but  I  thought  of  this  after  the  fact.   Let's  do  row  selection.  I'm  going  to  select  where,  and  I'm  going  to  select  where  the  date  is  greater  than  or  equal  to  June  1st  of  last  year.   I'm  going  to  make  sure  that  it's  selected.  There  it  is.

Then  I'm  going  to  do  a  subset  of  that  table  just  using  the  selected  rows.  Then  maybe  after  that  fact,  and  you'll  notice  that  our   Workflow Builder  seems  to  be  accumulating  this  information,  I'm  going  to  go , and  I'm  going  to  color  by  column .  I'm  going  to  color  by  this start quote.

This  is  the  data  to  the  point  that  I  feel  like  I  want  to  do  my  analysis.  Let's  stop  the   Workflow Builder  from  recording  that.  Let's  go  ahead  and  create  a  graphic  on  that.  I'm  just  going  to  do  the  quotes  by  the  dates.  We  see  when  the  stock  was  high  back  here  in  the  summer  of  2022,  and  it's  gone  down  considerably.

Let's  go  ahead  and  publish  that.  Again,  this  is  going  to  a  new  server  this  time.  The  first  connection  can  take  a  little  bit  of  time  sometimes.

All  right,  let's  publish  new.  This  time,  I've  set  up  a  space  called  Discovery  Year  of  2023  with  a  folder  named  Automatic  Data  refresh.   You  can  look  at  this  at  your  leisure  and  see  this  yourself.  I'm  going  to  name  this  Apple  Stock  Quotes  Since  June.   I'm  going  to  go  ahead  and  publish  that.

Let's  go  ahead  and  look  at  this  server.  All  right,  and  this  one's  in  dark  mode.  Make  you  realize  you're  on  something  different.   Here's  our  report.  Let's  go  ahead,  though,  and  look  at  that  space,  and  I  can  search  on  Discovery  to  see  which  one  I  want  to  look  at.  Here's  Europe.

There's  my  folder,  Automatic  Data  Refresh  in  JMP  Live  17  in  our  report. L et's  go  ahead  and  look  at  the  files,  though.  There's  our  Apple  quotes,  and  there's  no  source  script.  What's  up  with  that?  Well,  let's  go  back  and  look  at  our  data  here.

We  look  at  the  source  script  here . We  see  that  subset  operation  just  picked  out  individual  rows  that  were  selected.  I t  couldn't  go  far  enough  back  to  understand  that  this  came  from  a  previous  database  fetch.  It  just  knows  it  has  this  table  that  had  been  unsaved  at  that  time,  and  it  was  picking  rows  out  of  it.  That's  not  going  to  be  helpful  for  us.

We  have our  workflow  and  I've  stopped  that.  Let's  go  ahead  and  say,  what  happens  if  I  say,  save  script  to  script  window  of  our  workflow?   There  it  has  captured  our  query  along  with  our  subset  operation  and  our  coloring  operation.  Let's  go  ahead  and  we're  going  to  copy  this  and  use  this  as  a  basis  for  our  refresh  script.

All  right,  so  let's  make  this  refreshable.   We'll  go  ahead  and  edit.  All  right.   This  does  require  a  little  bit  of  change.  First  of  all,  I'm  going  to  return  my  information  to  data  tables.  This  is  my  query  data  table,  the  original  full  query.

I  don't  really  need  to,  but  I'm  going  to  assign  that  to  a  variable  here  because  it  provides  clarity  for  me.  Here's  our  where  clause  selection .  This  is  what  I  really  want  to  capture  this  subset  operation.

I'm  going  to  say  this  subset,  and  I'm  going  to  put  brackets  around  here.   The  reason  is  this. The  way   Workflow Builder  builds  this  is  it  cascades  or  chains  together  operations,  and  we  have  a  select  where  here.   It's  going  to  take  the  most  recent  operation  and  assign  it  to  my  variable.

I  don't  want  the  selection  to  go  into  this  subset,  I  want  the  subset  operation.  I  put  a  bracket  around  this  part  to  make  it  just  one  object  that's  referred  to  by  subset.  It'll  be  the  subset  operation  operation  that  goes  into  this  variable.

I'm  going  to  go  ahead  and  put  that  subset  table  in  here  for  coloring,  and  then  I'm  going  to  put  in  an  empty  reference  at  the  end  here  to  our  subset  table.  A ll  that  does  is  ensure  that  the  last  operation  is  to  return  that  subset  table.

Let's  go  ahead  and  save  this.  Let's  see  if  it  works.  Always  good  to  test.  It looks  like  it  did.  If  it  didn't,  we  could  go  to  the  history  here,  and  we  can  see  we  did  an  on-demand  data  refresh.  If  it  had  failed,  it  would  indicate  that  here, a nd  the  details  pane,  which  just  shows  that  we  got  a  table  back  out  of  this,  would  instead  show  an  error  log  from  JMP  itself.

There's  a  hidden  JMP  session  behind  here  doing  the  query  for  us,  and  it  would  provide  the  log  of  that  JMP  session  here,  so  we  could  get  an  idea  of  what's  going  on.  It  looks  like  we  have  a  valid  refresh  script  at  this  point.  However,  I  just  essentially  manually  refresh  data  that  I  already  had.  That's  not  particularly  interesting.

Let's  also  look  at  this  table.  Notice  that  for  the  query  information,  it  put  in  a  holder  for  the  password  because  we  don't  want  to  transmit  those  credentials.  Most  of  the  time,  it  also  put  in  one  for  a  user  ID.  In  this  particular  case,  it  did  not  because   Workflow Builder  doesn't  do  that.  But  if  you  did  this  directly  from   Query Builder,  it  would.

How  do  we  provide  the  password,  though,  for  this  script  that's  going  to  need  credentials  to  really  fetch  new  data  later  on?  We  validated  that  this  script  is  going  to  be  okay,  but  we  need  the  password  for  new  data.  What  we  do  here  is  we're  going  to  use  this  as  sign  credentials,  and  we  have  this  credential  that  I  have  created,  but  I'll  show  you  what  you  would  do  if  you  had  none.  You  create  just  essentially  a  username  and  password  pair  and  a  stored  credential  name.

In  this  particular  case,  I  already  had  one , and  it  did  get  used,  but  I'm  going  to  select  this  radio  button  anyway  to  make  sure  that  we  understand  these  two  are  associated.  If  we  had  more  than  one,  we  would  need  to  have  one  selected  for  it  to  work.

W hat's  going  to  happen  is  my  username  and  password,  when  it  finds  PWD  or  UID,  if  there's  this  placeholder  with  percent in,  it's  going  to  substitute  those  credentials  in  at  the  time  of  the  query, so  o nly  when  needed  and  make  the  query  itself.  These  credentials  are  stored  using  secure  string  technology  in  the  database,  which  also  can  be  encrypted.  They're  very  secure,  and  they're  only  used  in  memory  at  the  time  of  the  query.  We're  pretty  sure  that  we're  not  going  to  have  our  credentials  breached.

Now,  what  do  we  do  as  far  as  creating  a  repeatable  operation  where  we  don't  have  to  be  around  to  do  this?  Well,  we  use  the  refresh  schedule  and  hit  Create.  This  is  pretty  flexible  but  hopefully  easy  to  use  panel.

Right  now,  it's  saying  it's  going  to  create  a  schedule  that's  going  to  run  on  every  day.  I  don't  want  it  to  run  on  Sundays  and  Saturdays.  I'm  going  to  exclude  those  because  the  stock  market  is  not  open.  You  can  have  a  repeat  on  a  timely  basis,  like  up  to  5 and  every  5  minutes.  I  only  want  it  to  repeat  once  a  day,  so  I'm  going  to  turn  that  off.  When  do  we  want  it  to  start?

If  all  your  servers  are  operating  in  your  same  time  zone,  then  you  don't  have  to  worry  about  this.  You  would  just  put  in  whatever  time  you're  at,  well,  put  in  the  time  you  want  it  to  run.  I  have  to  have  a  little  more  complex  calculation i n  my  case.  I'm  running  on  Amazon  Web  Services,  and  we  run  all  of  our  servers  on  the  UTC  universal  time,  which  at  this  point  is  5  hours  different.

Because  I  want  to  show  this  operating  quickly  for  a  demo,  I'm  going  to  essentially  take  the  time  of  my  demo  and  add   5 hours  to  it  and  we're  going  to  run  that.   We're  going  to  put  this  in  as  running  at  7: 31  PM.  When  I  say  okay  and  save  this,  it's  going  to  calculate  when  it's  going  to  run,  and  it  says  it's  going  to  run  in  about  a  minute.  That's  what  we  are  hoping  for.

Off  screen  here,  I  have  an  update  to  a  database.  Let's  just  pretend  that  this  was  done  from  some  operation  that's  automatic,  but  I'm  going  to  actually  provide  an  additional  stock  quote  that  shows  the  stock  jumping  up  in  price.   Maybe  I'd  come  in  in  the  morning,  take  a  look  at  my  new  graphics,  see  the  stock  went  up,  and  then  maybe  it's  time  to  sell.   We're  just  waiting  on  this  at  this  point  and  hopefully,  you'll  see  that  it  gets  queued  up  and  our  report  will  get  regenerated  quickly.

While  we're  waiting  on  this,  I  will  mention,  too,  that  your  refresh  schedule  can  be  scheduled  to  terminate  at  a  certain  time.   If  you  want  it  to  end  at  the  end  of  the  year  or  something  like  that,  you  can  put  that  in  as  well.   We  saw  it  refreshed  a  few  seconds  ago.  Let's  go  take  a  look  at  our  report.   There's  our  report.  We  see  it's  declining  price,  and  then  if  we  hover,  we  see  that  we  have  a  new  point  here,  and  it  has  indeed  jumped  up  in  price.

That  same  script,  if  we  go  back  here,  will  run   5 days  a  week,  every  day  at  the  same  time  without  our  intervention . We've  provided  our  credentials.  Everything  is  automatic  at  this  point , and  we  realized  our  ambition  to  essentially  just  be  able  to  come  in  and  get  a  new  report  every  morning  without  having  to  worry  about  anything  else.   You  set  it  up  once,  run  many  times,  and  we're  good.

That  is  probably  the  most  important  example  I'm  going  to  show.   I'm  going  to  show  one  more  trick,  and  it's  more  of  a  trick  that  may  help  you  in  certain  situations.  Let's  clean  this  up.

What  I'm  going  to  do  next  is  I  am  going  to  show  using  a  REST  endpoint.  You're  not  familiar  with  that.  Essentially,  a  lot  of  organizations  make  their  data  available  through  what  looks  like  a  web  URL.   I  have  a  script  that  I  developed,  and  I'll  describe  that  in  a  second.

Often  you  would  need  a  credential  or  some thing  called  an  API  key  or  something  like  that  to  essentially  have  permission  to  use  this  site.  Many  of  them  cost  quite  a  bit  of  money.  This  one  does  not.

You  access  this  URL,  and  it  returns  a  whole  block  of  data.   JMP  has  a  variety  of  methods  that  it  provides  to  help  you  parse  this  data  apart  and  put  it  into  a  data  table.   That's  what  we're  going  to  do  here. This  particular  site  is  one  called  Eurostats.  It  has  a  free  API  I  was  able  to  use.

I'm  not  going  to  go  into  it,  but  it  essentially  has  this  query  language  that  you  can  append  to  your  URL  to  tell  exactly  which  table  you  want  and  what  data  points . I  have  it  starting  in  2021  and  not  ending, s o  we'll  continue  to  get  new  data  as  it  becomes  available.

It  returns  in  this  one  big  block  of  data,  and  JMP  knows  how  to  interpret  that  and  turn  it  into  a  data  table  here.   The  data  for  the  date  information  comes  in  as  character,  and  we  don't  want  that.  We  want  numeric,  and  we  want  it  to  be  continuous, so  there's  a  little  loop  here  that  runs  to  change  the  column  types  after  the  import.

If  I  run  this , and  what  we're  fetching,  by  the  way,  are  natural  gas  prices  in  the  EU.   This  data  is  pretty  old.  I  don't  know  how  often  they  refresh  their  data,  but  right  now , they're  only  providing  data  for  the  first  half  of  2022.   Hopefully,  they'll  update  at  least  with  the  second  half  early  soon.

What  do  I  do?  I  can  look  at  this  column  data,  and  the  columns  are  named  specifically  for  periods  of  time.   I  really  just  want  to  have  a  periodic  refresh  of  the  data  where  I  just  grab  the  latest  one  and  use  it  in  a  report.

Let's  look  at  this.  If  I  were  to  do  a  graph  builder,  this  is  really  handy,  though,  you  can  drop  this  in.  The  geographic  and  time  period  column  can  help  you  map  out  the  map  of  Europe.   If  I  drop  in  the  latest  one,  unfortunately,  there's  some  missing  pieces,  but  it  will  give  us  a  general  idea  of  what  gas  prices  averaged  in  this  first  half  of  2022.

Again,  if  I  were  to  save  this  out,  you'll  see  that  it's  going  to  use  this  date  specific  column.  That's  not  what  we  desire.  A  little  trick  you  can  use  here  is  to  just  rename  the  latest  column.   Here  I  have  another  little  scriptlet,  and  I'll  open  that  up.

Essentially,  all  I'm  going  to  do  here  is  I'm  going  to  say,  let's  take  the  last  column  and  we're  going  to  just  rename  it  most  recent.   Then  if  I  want,  I  can  create  a  graph  builder  script  that  uses  most  recent.   If  I  do  this,  there's  our  column.  Now  I  can  bring  up  Graph  Builder  and  plop  in  our  geography  column,  our  most  recent  data.  I  can  maybe  enlarge  that  a  little,  and  we  can  go  ahead  and  publish  that.

Let's  go  ahead  and  we're  going  to  just  put  that  in  our  folder  under  the  name  Gas  Prices  in  the  EU.  I'll  publish  that.   We'll  refresh  our  web  page  here.   There's  our  gas  prices  graphic,  just  like  we  hoped,  and  it'll  have,  if  we  hover  over  it,  the  mean  gas  price  and  things  like  that.

If  I  look  at  this  data,  though,  and  we  go  into  our  Refresh  settings,  it  didn't  understand  all  of  our  script  about  getting  our  REST  endpoint  and  things  like that,  but  that  doesn't  matter  because  we  already  have  our  script.  Over  here,  I  can  just  copy  this  as  is  and  put  it  in  here.   We  will  return  that  table  as  our  last  operation.

Maybe  I  just  want  to  run  this  one  day  a  week  or  something  like  that  just  so  that  whenever  we  finally  get  one,  we  periodically  review  this,  and  we'll  see  the  latest  thing.  This  is  a  case  where  you're  just  occasionally  viewing  the  data  to  see  if  there's  any  updates.

Of  course,  we'd  want  to  make  sure  manually  that  this  works  before  we  move  on  to  other  things,  but  we  can  see  that  indeed  it  did  the  report,  even  though  it  has  been  updated  a  few  seconds  ago . Even  though  the  data  is  the  same,  we  know  it's  working  so  that  when  new  data  does  come  out,  we  will  grab  it  and  populate  this  graphic  with  it.

A gain,  this  is  on  devlive 17.j mp. com.  You  will  need  a  SaaS  profile  ID  to  log  into  the  server  if  you  want  to  look  at  this,  but  I  will  leave  it  out  there  for  you  to  take  a  look.   That  it  concludes  our  data  refresh  examples.  I  hope  this  gives  you  an  idea  of  some  of  the  powerful  new  capabilities  that  JMP  Live  provides.  I  appreciate  you  attending  this  talk.  Thank  you.

Transcribed with Happy Scribe