Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LisaG
Staff

Rubbish or Recycle: An Exploration of Waste & Recycling Data and Covid-19 Impacts (2020-US-EPO-559)

Level: Beginner

Lisa Grossman, Associate Test Engineer, JMP
Mandy Chambers, Principal Test Engineer, JMP

With a growing population in Cary, it is important to understand the environmental impact that a household can incur and what sustainable options are available that can minimize an individual’s environmental footprint. Recycling, for one, is a universally known method that reduces waste that would otherwise be disposed at landfills, which already is a capacity concern around the world. According to the Recycling Coalition of Utah, only 25% of plastic produced in the U.S. gets recycled, and recycling the other 75% could mean saving up to 44 million cubic yards of landfill space annually. Using recycling data that is recorded by the Town of Cary, we will analyze the relationship between the collected waste and recyclables. We will also construct visualizations to explore the breakdowns of waste and each recycling category. The goal is to compare our analysis with statistics from other cities in the U.S. to assess recycling practices of the people of the Town of Cary and determine levels of further recycling potential. And in the midst of a pandemic, we will discover how Covid-19 has influenced waste and recycling management within the country. With our findings, we hope to communicate about environmental initiatives and inform about recycling efforts in our very own community as well as addressing some impacts of Covid-19.

Auto-generated transcript...

Speaker

Transcript

Lisa Grossman Okay. All right. I'll get started.
Hi everyone, my name is Lisa Grossman and my partner, Mandy Chambers, and I are both testers here at JMP.
And today we are excited to share with you the work that Mandy and I have done with recycling and garbage collection data.
So we were interested in looking at recycling and trash data in our own community, being Cary, North Carolina.
And we were curious about what kind of patterns we would uncover inour exploration and learn about some Covid 19 impacts all while using JMP.
So in JMP, we're going to be using Graph Builder's visual tools to see trends in Cary's trash and recycling collection categories such as paper, plastic, glass, etc.
And using Text Explorer's word cloud feature, we're going to use that to identify some challenges for waste and recycling management that may have arisen due to the Covid 19 outbreak.
And from what I show you today, we hope that you'll be able to use these quick and easy steps to explore your own data.
And so for those of you who may not know Cary North Carolina is the home where SAS is headquartered.
And Cary has a population of approximately 175,000 current residents, which is about a 30% increase since 2010. And thanks to the town of Caryt, we were able to get our hands on some of the recycling and trash collection data they had recorded from 2010 to the present.
So I wanted to quickly go over some of the steps we took in our process to explore the data, which include first importing Excel sheets that we got from the town of Cary into JMP.
And I wanted to note here that the Excel wizard does offer many advanced features that you might be interested in the case that you would need to import Excel sheets to JMP.
And to organize our data and columns, we use table operations like transpose and updated column properties and the column info dialogue to make our data a little easier to graph later on.
And then launching Text Explorer and Graphs Builder platforms, we used those to make our basic visualizations. And then I'm going to show you a new hardware label feature that's available in JMP 15 called pasting graphlets and I will show you an example of this later on using a tabulate.
And so getting to our graphs and figures for Cary. So looking at them, we can see that the first two up top are looking at the breakdown. So they're recycling categories. So getting a closer look here,
we can see the bar chart on the left is showing the average capture rates of the overlaid recycling categories from 2010 to 2019.
And we can see that the news, glass and cardboard are the three leading categories for recycling.
And then in the line graph to the right, we can see that the trends of the recycling rates of each category over the years. And what's interesting, that I wanted to point out here is that it seems that news and mixed paper are inversely related to each other.
And then going back to our poster, let's look at the last two graphs we have here.
And so these we are looking at recycling in comparison to garbage collection in Cary. So zooming in here, we can see the stacked bar on the left.
shows the total percentage of waste and recycling recorded each year.
And labeling the percentage values on the bar themselves, we can see that the recycling collection volume seems to have been slightly decreasing since 2014.
And then the graph to the right, we can see the progression of both trash and recycling from 2010 to 2019.
And this visual shows us how the tonnage of trash is increasing Each year, which seems expected for
as the population increases. But what is surprising is that the tonnages for recycling have remained rather steady. So thinking about this, we were wondering if this could be due to a rise in more sustainable products such as using personal water bottles or tumblers.
So, but
Now that we are in the midst of
Covid 19
we were curious to learn if there were any noticeable differences in recycling and trash collection so far this year. And the town of Cary was able to provide us some with some updated data that goes up to the month of June.
And so we created another stacked bar here to show how 2020 has compared so far to the previous year. And at first glance 2020 is steadily increasing and the labeled tonnages do not show a significant spike in the collection so far.
So then we decided to break it down month by month using our side by side bar charts to compare 2020 to 2019. And so our top bar chart here shows recycling overlaid by curbside drop off on computer recycling. And then the bottom chart shows trash collection.
So in the month of March when North Carolina first implemented stay at home orders Cary saw a nearly 21% increase in garbage and 23.8% increase in recycling collection. And just for reference 21% increase is about 1.1 million pounds.
And in April and May trash and recycling have somewhat leveled out but then spiked again in June, so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the year will pan out.
So something I wanted to point out here is, notice the information included in the hover label that is pinned.
So using the labeling feature, which can be done by right clicking on columns in your data table and selecting label, you will be able to see that column information represented in the hover label. So you can add as many columns as you'd like
to...so that you can read in that information in your graph.
So doing some further reading, we saw that Wake County, the county that Cary is in, reportedly generated about 29% more trash. So, totaling about 739 tons
45% more cardboard recycling and 20% more recycling in the week of April 13 alone. And we also found an estimate that the World Health Organization said that they're using, or that the world is using about 89 million masks and 76 million gloves each month.
And we found an article here that gives us some insight on how the Covid 19 outbreak has affected recycling and trash collection.
And so by downloading the article and importing it to JMP, we could use a Text Explorer platform to identify some themes in the word cloud. So I'll zoom in on it here.
So you can use
some features and options in Text Explorer like manage stop words and,
in the word cloud itself, you can change the coloring and the layout and the font, so to really customize your word cloud.
And so after making these customizations, we got a word cloud here on what is shown to the right.
And notice that an increase in tonnage has been the highlight for cities like Phoenix and New York City.
And because of this, we were curious to learn more about recycling and trash management in New York. And luckily, we were able to find some open data for Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island.
So if we look at the first line chart that shows the average tonnage collection for paper and metal and glass and plastic,
we can see here in this chart I have
I have
the boroughs grouped. And then they are scaled here by the month and we're looking at the recycling collection and tonnages here on the y axis.
So we can see that boroughs like Bronx and Brooklyn are steadily increasing starting in the month 4,
being April, but we can see that there is more of a spike collection that is in both Staten Island and Queens.
But what's very interesting is that there's a noticeable decrease in collection in Manhattan.
And we were curious as to why this might be. And with a little research, we have come to the conclusion, it seems that stay at home orders meant that there were fewer workers in the city, so therefore, leading to reduced recycling capture.
At a similar trend here
can be shown for garbage collection rates in the line graph that we have. And so we can see in the same manner, Manhattan sees a dip in garbage collection, whereas Queens and Staten Island saw an increase.
But something we wanted to highlight here in this graph as a new feature of JMP 15 is this custom tabulate graphlet in the hover label. So notice that
the pinned hover label here shows us at tabulate that gives us the tonnage values of both recycling categories and garbage collection for the months of January to June, just for Queens in 2020, which is the point on the line, which we have pinned.
So creating this line graph with a custom tabulate graphlet, it was only a matter of a couple steps.
So first we needed to make our base graph, which is the line graph we have here. But then we separately created our tabulate
...our tabulate table which is shown here. And for space sake, I couldn't include the whole tabulate,
but as you can see, it shows the monthly averages of recycling and trash collection for each borough in 2019 and 2020.
And so all we would have to do is go into that little right triangle menu to tabulate and save the script to our clipboard.
And then the next thing we would do is go back to our base graph and right click in the background and under the hover label menu, there's going to be a paste graphlet option. And so you don't have to worry about any filtering or anything. Doing the paste graphlet, takes the...
there is some magic that works behind it. And so that's that's all you would need to do and each point would be filtered for you.
So,
Now when you hover over a point in your line, you can see that it is complete and the filter parts of your tabulate corresponds to your point of interest.
So this concludes our presentation on our findings with trash and recycling collection from the town of Cary and New York and as the year plays out, I think it'd be very interesting to see how this data might change and
I hope to keep looking at it and see how 2020 will pan out.
So we wanted to give some special thanks to Bob Holden and Srijana Guilford, especially from the town of Cary for helping us through
and working with us with their data and sharing their data sets. And I have here linked the open data set from...
for the New York data. And it's, I think, I believe it's constantly updated. So if you are interested in playing around with that data, it's available here.
And I also have linked here some more information on graphlets. There's a ton of ways that you can use graphlets, and many, many ways that you can customize them too, so please check out this link and you can meet the developer, Nascif, and get some more information there.
Thank you.

Comments
Gerry_R

Interesting trend!  Thanks for the demo of the tabulate graphlet, I'm going to start using that!

Article Tags