cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Accelerating the Effectiveness of Decisions by Shifting From the What to the Why

Jared Shaw, Applied Science Statistician, Mars Petcare

In Simon Sinek’s TED Talk on “How Great Leaders Inspire Action,” he shared that an emotional connection needs to be created between What is being done to Why we are doing it to help create a shift in perception and inspire change. In statistical analyses, there can be a tendency to focus on the What by summarizing data into quintessential graphs, numerical metrics, or statistical significance. While these recognized approaches are straight forward to an analytical professional, they can sometimes fail to help the laymen visually understand Why the decisions are important. By discovering and promoting unique data visualizations, an emotional bond can be established between the viewer and the data such that there will be an ubiquitous acceptance of the analytical insights and conclusions being proposed thus leading to faster business decisions. In this poster, I will focus on a few data visualization techniques that I have found to help accelerate my customers’ ability to comprehend the importance of what is being shared.