cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager Community Manager
Member Spotlight: hogi
Member Spotlight Banner.jpg Community members are known by their usernames. You come to know their personas as they ask and answer questions, share best practices, or write blog posts. Now you can get to know the Community members behind the usernames in our Member Spotlight series. The series is designed to foster greater connections between our Community members. 

@hogi answers a few of our questions

How long have you been a JMP User?

This is now my second year with JMP. During my first year I used JMP only in "Graph Builder mode".

In 2022 I started to use JSL. On the Discovery Summit Europe I had the opportunity to meet @danschikore in a small session (actually just Dan, Jeff and me) and Dan was so kind to show me some tricks with JSL. That was an important moment for me - today JSL programming is an essential part of my daily work.

What is one (or more) of your favorite hobbies?

In the summer I like to go inline skating - we have a great bike path along the Danube.

Another hobby: I like to build electronic gadgets.

My wife is a music teacher and at university I constructed a Theremin for her - with coils from old car radios. Later I added a microcontroller which works as a synthesizer and imitates instruments like a cello and an electric guitar. I must admit it's really hard to play a melody on it.

When we moved into our house, I attached a photodiode to the gas meter and a microcontroller sends the data via WIFI to the cloud. It's really instructive to see how linearly gas consumption increases as the outside temperature drops. If you subtract this influence from the data, you can see other influences like: me fiddling around with the control parameters to finding the sweet spot between convenient room temperature and low gas consumption

Tell us a podcast, television series, book or movie you found entertaining in the last year.

Some days ago, I watched Tim Urban's TED talk on procrastination with my kids. I like the picture with the rational decision maker and the instant gratification monkey

There is another video on Youtube (unfortunately: in German) about change. It uses a similar picture - and explains how you can make the "monkey" work for you. Cool! 

Give one reason you are a Community member or one aspect you like about the Community.

In the beginning with JSL I've often faced a wall that just seemed impenetrable - a quick post in the community and you learn there's a much better way to enter the next room. It's a bit like playing Exit with your family. Besides the great feeling of cracking puzzles, I'm a big fan of documenting such cracked nuts - to help other people with similar problems.

Great that the community exists - thank you!

This or That: What do you prefer?

• Cake or pie? Cake.
  • Morning or late night? Morning.
  • JSL or Graph Builder? Impossible to answer
  • Mountains or beach? Mountain.

Thanks for letting us get to know you, @hogi  ! We appreciate all you do.

Interested in participating with your own member spotlight?

The Community would love to learn more about you. Contact @Ryan_Gilmore to get started.

Last Modified: Mar 7, 2023 3:17 PM
Comments
stan_koprowski
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @hogi

I'd have to say the same about cake and pie--impossible to answer.

Ressel
Level VI

Can discipline be key? (Just watched the German video.)

hogi
Level XI

For the second video you can activate english subtitles.

I like it because of it's positive interpretation:
No need to buy a cage for the monkey and rely solely on the rational decision maker - much better to get the monkey/toddler "on the team" ... through routines, triggers and gamification
2023-03-17_13-14-27.gif

Victor_G
Super User

@hogi : I'm a fan of Kurzgesagt, there are several Youtube channel in different languages available :

French : Tout simplement - Kurzgesagt
All the language channels can be found here : Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell - YouTube

Ressel
Level VI

@hogi German native speaker here, so at least from a practical point of view I had no issues understanding

hogi
Level XI

@Victor_G 
So, here is the English dubbed version of change, much easier.
(other languages don't seem to be available yet for this episode?)