cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

more complex data base queries

Is there a trick to set up more complex data base queries via the Query Builder GUI?

e.g. 

- more complicated structure than just 1 primary data table, joined with several secondary data tables - on one level.

- use calculated / aggregated values instead of already existing entries as matches to join "on".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: more complex data base queries

If you need to develop more sophisticated SQL queries I would strongly suggest using a tool like PL/SQL Developer, TOAD, SQL Developer etc. for Oracle.  Once your queries are debugged bring them into JMP and run them via execute SQL.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Kay
Staff

Hi @hogi ,

I don't think these will be possible in Query Builder. It is really intended to help people get started with querying databases without having to learn any SQL. It's not going to cover every possible level of complexity of SQL query.

I think you would have to learn some SQL to do this. Or change the database schema to enable the same extract with a simpler query. Or bring the tables into JMP and do the calculations and joins on JMP tables, which you could automate through scripting.

Sorry if that is not the answer that you were hoping for but maybe it helps.

Phil

hogi
Level XI

Ok, then I did not miss a cool feature

For debugging of SQL queries in JSL Editor it really helps that via double click on a bracket the code between the 2 corresponding brackets gets highlighted *).
But I I really miss the feature other editors provide for editing SQL code, like displaying corresponding brackets with different colors or autosuggestions.

*) If Jmp Dev Team starts to work on optimized syntax highlighting in JSL editor, it would be great to also consider the application  of the feature for SQL code in Database Query Strings.

pmroz
Super User

If you need to develop more sophisticated SQL queries I would strongly suggest using a tool like PL/SQL Developer, TOAD, SQL Developer etc. for Oracle.  Once your queries are debugged bring them into JMP and run them via execute SQL.