cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Approaches To Comparisons with JMP® 17 (2023-EU-30MP-1193)

Mark Bailey, Senior Analytics Software Tester, JMP Statistical Discovery LLC
Jianfeng Ding, Senior Research Statistician Developer, JMP

It is common to need to compare two populations with only a sample of each population. Statistical inference can help the comparison. Our presentation is about inference involving two hypotheses: the alternative hypothesis and the null hypothesis. Sometimes the goal is to provide sufficient evidence to decide that there is a significant difference between two populations. The goal at other times is to provide sufficient evidence that there is significant equivalence, non-inferiority, or superiority between two populations. These two situations require different tests. We will review these situations, appropriate hypotheses, and appropriate tests using common examples.

Another common comparison is between two measurements of the same quantity. Our presentation will focus instead on the Method Comparison protocol for chemical and biological assays used by pharmaceutical and biotechnology development and manufacturing. We will present two methods that are available in JMP® 17 to assess the accuracy of a new test method against an established reference method. One method is known as Deming regression or Fit Orthogonal in JMP. The second method is known as Passing-Bablok regression. We will review the background of assessing accuracy and the unique nature of data from method comparisons, and demonstrate both regression methods with examples.

Hello, and  welcome  to  our  presentation,  Approaches  to  Comparations  with   JMP® 17.  My  name  is  Mark  Bailey.  I'm  a  senior  Analytics  Software  Tester,  and  my  co- presenter  today  is  Jianfeng  Ding,  a  Senior  Research  Statistician  Developer.  Before  we  get  into  the  new  features,  we're  going  to  take  a  moment  to  make  sure  that  everyone  has  the  proper  background  to  appreciate  these  new  methods.

This  has  to  do  with  using  statistical  inference  when  we're  trying  to  compare  two  populations.  This  is  a  very  common  task,  and  the  comparison  usually  leads  to  a  decision  between  two  ideas  about  these  populations.  If  we  could  observe  the  populations  in  their  entirety,  we  wouldn't  need  statistics,  but  that's  not  usually  the  case.  So, we  have  to  work  with  samples  from  the  populations.  Statistical  inference  can  provide  some  really  valuable  information  about  those  samples.

In  particular,  is  there  sufficient  evidence  to  reject  one  idea  about  the  two  populations?  So  a  clear  statement  of  these  ideas  or  hypotheses  is  essential  to  making  the  correct  choice  for  the  test  and  also  for  the  correct  interpretation.  So  let's  talk  a  little  bit  about  the  ideas  or  hypotheses  that  are  part  of  these  statistical  tests.  The  alternative  and  null  hypotheses,  as  they're  known,  represent  mutually  exclusive  statements  about  these  populations,  and  no  other  hypothesis  is  possible.

For  example,  one  statement  might  be  for  population  A  and  population  B  that  their  means  are  equal.  The  other  idea  is  that  they're  not  equal.  Those  two  ideas  or  hypotheses  are  mutually  exclusive  and  no  other  hypothesis  is  possible.  What's  the  role  of  these  two  ideas?  The  alternative  hypothesis  states  the  conclusion  that  we  would  like  to  claim.  It  represents  the  populations  and  it  will  require  sufficient  evidence  in  the  data  to  overthrow  the  other  hypothesis.

The  other  one  is  called  the  null  hypothesis.  It  states  the  opposing  conclusion  that  must  be  overcome  by  strong  evidence.  It  serves  as  a  reference  for  this  comparison.  It's  assumed  to  be  true.  Now,  currently,  there's  somewhat  of  a  misunderstanding  in  hypothesis  testing  in  that  it  only  thinks  about  comparison  in  one  direction.  That's  because  historically,  this  is  the  way  it  was  presented  in  training.

That  most  often  taught  test  is  used  to  demonstrate  that  there's  a  difference  between  two  populations.   The  resulting  lack  of  understanding  can  lead  to  a  misuse  of  these  tests.   To  be  clear,  the  choice  of  the  test  is  not  a  matter  of  what  data  is  collected  or  how  the  data  is  collected.  It's  entirely  about  the  stated  hypotheses  for  the  purpose  of  your  comparison.  Let's  look  at  these  two  possibilities.  Let's  say  that  the  goal  of  our  comparison  is  to  demonstrate  a  difference.

We  want  to  explicitly  state  these  ideas  to  make  sure  the  test  is  clear.  In  the  first  example,  I  want  to  demonstrate  that  a  temperature  change  causes  a  new  outcome.  That  is,  there  is  a  difference.  We'd  like  to  claim  that  the  new  level  of  the  response  will  result  from  a  change  in  the  process  temperature.  Perhaps  we  expect  a  higher  yield  or  we'd  like  to  show  more  stability.  A  design  experiment  is  used  to  randomly  sample  from  the  population  for  a  low- temperature  condition  and  from  a  population  of  a  high- temperature  condition.

The  two  hypotheses  for  this  test,  the  null  hypothesis  states  that  the  temperature  does  not  affect  the  outcome.  Remember,  it's  our  reference  and  we  assume  it  to  be  true.  The  alternative  hypothesis  is  our  idea.  Temperature  affects  the  outcome,  but  we  can  decide  this  only  if  the  evidence  is  strong  enough  to  reject  the  null  hypothesis.  Now,  let's  change  that.  Let's  reverse  that.  Let's  say  that  in  this  comparison,  I  want  to  demonstrate  equivalence.  In  the  second  example,  I  want  to  show  that  a  temperature  change  does  not  cause  a  change  in  the  outcome.

That  is,  the  outcome,  either  way,  is  equivalent.  We  want  to  claim  that  a  planned  change  in  the  process  temperature  will  improve  the  yield  but  not  affect  the  level  of  an  impurity  of  the  product.  We  design  the  same  experiment,  collect  the  same  samples,  but  now  our  hypotheses  are  switched.  The  null  hypothesis  is  that  the  temperature  affects  the  outcome.  It's  our  new  reference,  we  still  assume  it  to  be  true,  while  the  alternative  hypothesis  states  that  the  temperature  does  not  affect  the  outcome,  the  impurity  level.

But  we  can  make  that  claim  only  if  the  evidence  is  strong  enough  to  reject  the  null.  So do  I  test  for  a  difference  or  for  equivalence?  The  key  is  how  you  state  your  hypotheses.  These  two  examples,  I  think  you  can  see,  use  identical  data  but  different  tests.  The  choice  of  the  test  is  not  about  the  data.  It's  about  the  claim  that  we  want  to  make  and  how  we  state  that  properly  in  the  hypothesis.  Remember  that  statistical  tests  are  unidirectional.  That  is,  we  can  reject  a  null  or  not.  If  the  test  is  to  reject  a  null  hypothesis  with  a  high  probability  when  it's  false.

Now,  let's  get  to  the  new  features  in   JMP® 17.  Jianfeng  will  now  present  the  equivalence  tests, and  when  she's  finished,  I'll  present  method  comparison.

Now,  I'm  going  to  share  my  screen.  Hello,  my  name  is   Jianfeng Ding.  I'm  a  Research  Statistic  Developer  at  JMP® 17.  In  this  video,  I'm  going  to  talk  about  the  Equivalence,  Noninferiority,  and  Superiority  Test  in   JMP® 17.  The  basic  hypothesis  test  on  the  left  is  a  test  that  most  quality  professionals  are  familiar  with.  It  is  often  used  to  compare  two  or  more  groups  of  data  to  determine  whether  they  are  statistically  different.

The  parameter  theta  can  be  a  mean  response  for  continuous  outcome  and  a  proportion  when  the  outcome  variable  is  binary.  Theta  T  represents  response  from  treatment  group  and  theta  zero  represents  the  response  from  a  control  group.  There  are  three  types  of  the  basic  hypothesis  test.  The  first  one  is   two-sided  test  and  the  rest  are  one- sided  tests.  If  you  look  at  the   two-sided  test  on  the  left,  the  no  hypothesis  is  that  the  treatment  means  are  same  and  the  alternative  hypothesis  is  that  the  treatment  means  are  different.

Sometimes  we  really  need  to  establish  that  things  are  substantially  the  same,  and  the  machinery  to  do  that  is  called  an  equivalence  test.  An  equivalent  test  is  to  show  the  difference  in  theta  T,  theta  zero  is  within  a  pre- specified  margin  delta  and  allow  us  to  conclude  equivalence  with  a  specified  confidence  level.  If  you  look  at  the  equivalence  test,  the  no  hypothesis  is  that  the  treatment  means  are  different  and  the  alternative  hypothesis  is  that  the  treatment  means  are  within  a  fixed  delta  of  one  another.

This  is  different  from  the  two- sided  hypothesis  test  on  the  left.  Another  alternative  testing  scenario  is  the  noninferiority  test  which  aims  to  demonstrate  that  results  are  not  substantially  worse.  There  is  also  a  testing  scenario  called  superiority  testing  that  is  similar  to  noninferiority  testing,  except  that  the  goal  is  to  demonstrate  that  results  are  substantially  better.  There  are  five  different  types  of  equivalence  type  tests.  Depend  on  the  situation.  When  should  we  use  this  test?  Will  be  discussed  next.

These  tests  are  very  important  in  industry,  especially  in  the  biotech  and  pharmaceutical  industry.  Here  are  some  examples.  If  the  goal  is  to  show  that  the  new  treatment  does  not  differ  significantly  from  the  standard  by  more  than  some  small  margin,  then  equivalence  test  should  be  used.  For  example,  a  generic  drug  that  is  less  expensive  and  cause  few  side  effects  than  a  popular  name- brand  drug.  You  would  like  to  prove  it  has  same  efficacy  as  the  name- branded  one.  The  typical  goal  in  noninferiority  testing  is  to  conclude  that  a  new  treatment  process  or  product  is  not  significantly  worse  than  the  standard  one.

For  example,  a  new  manufacturing  process is  faster.  You  would  make  sure  it  creates  no  more  product  defects  than  the  standard  process.  A  superiority  test  try  to  prove  that  the  new  treatment  is  substantially better  than  the  standard  one.  For  example,  a  new  fertilizer  has  been  developed  with  several  improvements.  The  researchers  want  to  show  that  the  new  fertilizer  is  better  than  the  current  fertilizer.  How  to  set  up  the  hypothesis?  The  graph  on  the  left  summarizes  five  different  type  of  equivalence  type  tests  very  nicely.

This  graph  is  created  by  our   SAS/STAT®  colleagues,  John  Castelloe,  and  Donna  Watts.  You  can  find  their  white  paper  on  this  on  the  web.  Choosing  which  test  depend  on  the  situation.  For  each  of  this  situation,  the  region  that  we  are  trying  to  establish  with  the  test  is  shown  in  blue.  For  equivalence  analysis,  you  can  construct  an  equivalence  region  with  upper  bound  theta  zero  plus  delta  and  lower  bound  theta  zero  minus  delta.  You  can  conduct  an  equivalence  test  by  checking  whether  the  confidence  interval  of  theta  lies  in  entirely  in  the  blue  equivalence  region.

Likewise,  you  can  conduct  a  noninferiority  test  by  checking  whether  the  confidence  interval  of  theta  lies  entirely  above  the  lower  bound  if  larger  theta  is  better  or  below  the  upper  bound  if  smaller  theta  is  better.  These  tests  are  available  in   JMP® 17 in  one  way  for  comparing  normal  means  and  in  contingency  for  comparing  response  rates.  The  graphical  user  interface  of  equivalence  test  launch  dialogs  makes  it  easy  for  you  to  find  the  type  of  test  that  correspond  what  you  are  trying  to  establish.

A  forest  plot  in  the  report  summarize  the  comparison  very  nicely  and  makes  it  easy  for  you  to  interpret  the  results.  Next,  I'm  going  to  do  a  demo  about  equivalent  test,  superiority  test,  and  noninferiority  tests.  I'm  going  to  use  a  data  set  called  the  Drug  Measurement  that  is  in  the  JMP  sample  data  library.  Twelve  different  subjects  were  given  three  different  drugs  A,  B,  and  C,  and  continuous  measurement  were  made.  I  first  launched  Fit  Y  by  X  and  put  the  measurement  as  Y  and  drug  type  as  X  factor.

This  will  bring  the  one- way  analysis.  Under  the  red  triangle  menu,  let's  first  find  equivalent  test  and  there  are  the  two  options,  means,  and  standard  deviations.  We're  going  to  focus  on  means  for  this  example.  This  will  bring  the  equivalence  launch  dialog.  In  this  section,  you  can  choose  which  test  you  would  like  to  conduct,  and  the  graph  represents  the  choice  of  the  selected  test.  For  superiority  and  noninferiority  test,  there  are  two  scenarios.

One  is  large  difference  is  better.  Another  is  small  difference  is  better.  Choose  which  one  depend  on  the  situation.  You  need  to  specify  the  delta  or  the  margin  for  the  test.  You  also  need  to  specify  the  confidence  level  alpha  for  the  test.  You  can  either  choose  the  Pooled  Variance  or  Unequaled  variance  to  run  the  test.  For  this  example,  we  run  the  equivalent  test  first  and  we  specify  three  as  a  difference.  We  are  going  to  do  the  equivalent  test  for  all  the  pairs.  Click  okay  and  it  will  bring  the  equivalent  test  result.

On  the  top,  it  is  the  statistical  detail  for  the  equivalence  test,  and  the  bottom  it's  a  forest  plot.  You  notice  there  are  two  regions.  The  blue  region  are  the  equivalence  region  and  the  red  are  the  non- equivalence  region.  The  lines  here  represent  the  confidence  interval  of  the  mean  difference  between  two  groups.  If  we  look  at  this  line,  this  is  the  confidence  interval  of  the  mean  difference  between  drug  A  and  C,  and  you  see  this  line  is  completely  contained  inside  this  blue  region.   We  look  at  the  P  value  of  the  equivalence  test  that  is 0.02  which  is  smaller  than 0.05.  So at  this  5 %  significance  level,  we  can  declare  that  drug  A  and  C  are  equivalent.

But  when  you  look  at  the  confidence  interval  of  a  mean  difference  between  drug  A  and  B,  and  drug  B  and  C,  they  are  lined  beyond  this  blue  region.  So we  conclude  at  the  5 %  significance  level  drug  A  and  B,  and  drug  B  and  C,  we  cannot  conclude  they  are  equivalent.  Next,  if  we  assume  drug  C  is  a  standard  drug  and  you  would  like  to  find  out  if  drug  A  and  B  are  better  than  drug  C,  that  make  us  want  to  do  a  superiority  test.  Let  me  close  this  outline  note  for  now  and  we  launch  the  equivalent  test  again  and  we  click  Means.

This  time  we're  going  to  run  superiority  test.  We  click  the  superiority  test  and  we  prefer  large  difference  and  we  specify  0.4  as  our  margin.  This  time  we  need  to  set  drug  C  as  our  control  group  and  click  OK.  This  will  bring  the  superiority  test.  From  this  forest  plot  you  can  see  the  confidence  interval  of  a  mean  difference  between  drug  B  and  C  is  completely  contained  inside  this  blue  region.  So  we  conclude  that  at  the  5 %  confidence  level,  we  can  declare  that  the  B  is  superior  to  drug  C.  But  we  cannot  make  a  same  conclusion  to  drug  A  and  C.  This  concludes  my  first  example.

The  next  example  will  show  how  to  conduct a  noninferiority  test  for  the  relative  risk  between  two  proportions.  Let  me  open  the  data  table.  A  randomized  trial  is  to  compare  drug  FIDAX  as  an  alternative  to  drug  VENCO  for  the  treatment  of  colon  infections.  The  two  drugs  have  similar  efficacy  and  safety.  Two  hundred  twenty- one  out  of  225  patients  treated  with  FIDAX  achieved  clinical  Q  by  the  end  of  the  study,  compared  to   223 out  of   257  patients  treated  with   VENCO.

We  launch  Fit  Y  by  X  again  and  we  plug  in  Q  as  Y  and  drug  as  X  factor and  account  as  a  frequency  and  click  OK.  Will  bring  the  contingency  analysis.  From  the  Likelihood  Ratio  test, Pearson  test,  and  Fisher's  Exactly  test,  they  all  indicate  that  there  is  no  big  difference  between  these  two  drugs.  But  we  would  like  to  find  out  if  drug  FIDAX  is  not  inferior  to  drug  VENCO.  We  go  to  the  up  red  triangle  and  bring  the  equivalent  test.  There  are  two  options.  One  is  the  risk  difference  and  one  is  relative  risk.  For  this  example,  we  choose  relative  risk.

Again,  bring  this  equivalent  test  launch  dialog.  For  this  example,  we're  going  to  run  noninferiority  test.  A gain,  we  prefer  large  ratios.   We  specify  0.9  as  our  margin  and  we  care  about  the  treatment  effect.  So  we  should  choose  Yes  and  then  we  click  OK.  So  this  bring  the  noninferiority  test.  From  the  forest  plot,  we  can  see  the  confidence  interval  of  the  relative  risk  is  completely  contained  in  this  blue  region,  and  the  P  value  for  the  noninferiority  test  is  very  small.  So  we  conclude  at  the  5 %  significant  level,  the  drug  FIDAX  is  not  inferior  to  drug  VENCO.   This  concludes  my  talk  and  I  will  give  back  to  Mark.  I  need  to  stop this  share.

Thank  you,  Jianfeng.  Now  in  the  last  part  of  our  presentation,  I'm  going  to  talk  about  another  comparison  where  we  want  to  compare  the  results  or  measurements  from  two  different  methods  of  measuring  some  quantity.  We  assume  that  there's  a  standard  method  that  already  exists.  It  has  been  validated.  We  can  use  it  to  measure  the  level  of  some  quantity.  That  might  be  the  temperature  or  the  potency  of  a  drug.  But  for  some  reason,  we've  developed  a  new  method  for  the  same  result.

We  must  compare  its  performance  to  the  standard  method  before  we  use  it.   This  is  a  long  standing  issue.  This  comparison  has  been  codified  for  a  long  time  by  numerous  international  organizations.  I've  listed  a  few  of  them  on  this  slide.  So  this  is  a  very  well  studied  and  an  established  comparison.   In  this  case,  we're  going  to  compare  to  identity.  We're  going  to  compare  these  two  methods  where  ideally  the  test  method  would  give  us  the  same  value  as  the  standard  method.  So we  plot  the  data  using  a  scatter plot.  We  have  the  test  method  on  the  vertical  axis  and  the  standard  method  result  on  the  horizontal  axis.  We  can  even  plot  the  identity  line  where  Y  equals  X  for  reference.

Ideally,  we  would  get  the  result  from  both  methods,  but  that  won't  happen  because  of  measurement  error  in  both  methods.  We'll  use  regression  analysis  to  determine  the  best  fit  for  this  line  where  we  have  the  test  method  versus  the  standard  method.  Then  the  estimated  parameters  for  our  model  can  be  compared  to  the  identity  line.  The  null  hypothesis,  we  start  with  the  idea  that  they  are  not  the  same.  So  the  intercept  of  this  line  is  not  zero  or  the  slope  is  not  one  or  possibly  both.  In  other  words,  the  results  are  not  equivalent.

The  alternative,  which  we  would  like  to  claim  is  that  they  are  equivalent.   So  there  we  state  that  the  intercept  should  be  zero  and  the  slope  should  be  one.   To  make  this  comparison  using  regression,  we  have  to  postulate  a  model.  In  this  case,  it's  a  simple  linear  regression  model.  We  have  a  constant  term  A,  a  proportional  term  B  times  X.  We're  going  to  estimate  those  parameters  A  and  B, and  use  our  hypotheses  to  decide.  We  also  have  a  term  epsilon,  and  that  represents  the  measurement  error,  the  random  variation.   Using  linear  regression,  we  assume  that  the  Y  and  the  X  are  linearly  related.

We  assume  that  the  statistical  errors  that  epsilon  are  in  Y,  not  in  X.  We  also  assume  that  those  errors  are  distributed  in  a  way  that  are  independent  of  the  response.  In  other  words,  the  statistical  error  is  the  same  across  the  entire  range  of  this  method.  Also,  that  no  data  exert  any  excessive  influence  on  these  estimates.  Well,  in  method  comparison,  we  usually  violate  these  assumptions.  First  of  all,  there  is  measurement  error  in  the  standard  method  as  well.

Also,  often  the  errors  are  not  constant.  That  is,  we  observe  a  constant  coefficient  of  variation  but  not  a  constant  standard  deviation.   Outliers  are  present that  can  strongly  influence  the  estimation.  Other  regression  methods  are  required  in  such  a  case.  The  Deming  regression  simultaneously  minimizes  the  least  square  error  in  both  Y  and  X.  That's  appropriate  for  this  case.  The  Passing- Bablock  regression  is   a  nonparametric  method  that's  based  on  the  median  of  all  possible  pairwise  slopes.

It's  resistant  to  outliers  and  nonconstant  errors.  Let's  talk  about  each  of  these  briefly.  The  Deming  regression  is  provided  in  the  Bivariate  platform  through  the  Fit  Orthogonal  Command.  This  has  been  available  in  JMP  for  many  years.  The  Deming  regression  can  estimate  the  errors  in  Y  and  X,  assume  that  the  errors  in  Y  and  X  are  equal,  or  use  a  given  ratio  of  Y  to  X  error.

Passing- Bablock  regression  is  new.   JMP® 17  introduced  this  method  in  the  Bivariate  platform  through  the  Fit   Passing-Bablock  command.  This  command  also  includes  checks  for  the  assumptions  that  the  measurements  are  highly  positively  correlated  and  exhibit  a  linear  relationship.  Method  comparison  often  includes  a  comparison  by  difference.  The  Bland- Altman  analysis  compares  the  pairwise  differences  as  Y  to  the  pairwise  means  as  X  to  assess  bias  between  the  two  values.

The  results  are  presented  in  a  scatterplot  of  Y  versus  X  for  your  examination  and  also  to  identify  any  anomalies.  This  occurs  in  the  Matched  Pairs  platform. The  Matched  Pairs  platform  has  been  part  of  JMP  for  many  years  as  well,  but  the   Bland-Altman  test  is  a  new  addition.  The  report  also  presents  the  hypothesis  test.  Now  I'd  like  to  demonstrate  these  two  methods.  As  I  said,  Deming  regression  has  been  available  for  a  long  time,  but  for  completeness'  sake,  I'm  going  to  demonstrate  it  here  alongside  the  new  methods.

I  select  from  the  Analyze  menu,  Fit  Y  by  X.  I'm  going  to  compare  test   Method 1  to  my  standard  method.  The  standard  method  goes  in  the  X  role  and  the  new  test  method  goes  in  the  Y  role.  You  could  evaluate  more  than  one  test  method  at  the  same  time.  Here's  my  plot.  Initially,  I  see  a  scatter  plot.  I  expect  these  two  to  agree  very  well.  I  expect  to  see  that  they  follow  this  diagonal  path,  that  they're  linear,  and  so  forth.  I'll  click  the  red  triangle  next  to  Bivariate  and  select  Fit  Orthogonal.

In  this  case,  I  don't  really  know  that  the  variances  are  equal  or  I  don't  have  any  prior  information  that  I  could  specify  a  ratio.  So I'll  have  JMP  estimate  the  errors  in  both.  I'll  use  the  first  option  here.  Now  we  have  the  fitted  line  using  Deming  regression.  Below  that  we  have  the  report.  The  report  includes  an  estimate  of  the  intercept.  We  can  see  it's  small  and  close  to  zero.  We  have  an  estimate  for  the  slope.

Using  the  confidence  interval,  we  see  that  it  includes  one,  which  we  would  expect  if  the  test  method  agrees  with  the  standard.  That's  Deming  regression.  Now,  we're  going  to  take  a  look  at  the  new  methods   Passing-Bablock  regression  in  Blad- Altman.  Same  start,  select  Analyze,  and  then  select  Fit  Y  by  X.  I'm  going  to  use  the  Recall  button  here.  I  want  to  compare   Method 1  to  the  standard,  but  I'm  going  to  use  a  new  regression  technique.

I'll  click  on  the  red  triangle  and  select  Fit   Passing-Bablock.   There's  actually  two  lines  here.  There's  a  red  line  that  represents  the  best- fit  line  using  the   Passing-Bablock  regression.  But  there's  also,  for  our  reference,  a  line  that  represents  where  y  equals  x.  It's  hard  to  see.  I'm  going  to  use  the  magnifier  tool  to  magnify  a  few  times.  Now  you  can  see  that  there  are,  in  fact,  two  separate  lines.  One  is  the  identity  and  one  is  the  fit,  but  they  overlap  quite  a  bit.  These  are  quite  similar.

In  the  numerical  reports,  first  I  have  a  test  for  the  high  positive  correlation.  We're  using  Kendall's  Tau,  and  we  can  see  that  it  is  highly  significant.  We  reject  the  idea  that  they're  not  strongly  correlated.  Next,  we  have  a  test  of  linearity.  Here,  this  test  assumes  that  they're  linear, and w e're  looking  for  strong  evidence  against  that.  But  we  have  a  very  high  P  value  here,  so  we  do  not  reject  the  assumption  that  they're  linear.  Finally,  we  have  the  parameter  estimates  by  using  Passing -Bablock  regression,  we  have  the  point  estimate,  we  have  the  interval  estimate.

For  the  intercept,  that  interval  includes  zero,  so  we  cannot  reject  an  intercept  of  zero.  We have  the  slope  is  contained  within  an  interval  that  includes  one.  Similarly,  we  can't  reject  that  the  slope  of  that  line  is  equal  to  one.  Let's  say  we'd  also  like  to  compare  these  two  methods  by  difference.  To  do  that,  I  click  on  the  red  triangle  for  the  options  of  the  Fit   Passing-Bablock  results, and  here  we  see  the  command   Bland-Altman  analysis.  It  takes  all  the  information  here  and  launches  match  pairs  with  the  additional  information  in  the   Bland-Altman  analysis.

The  plot  is  showing  us  on  the  Y  axis  the  pairwise  difference  between  the  method  one  and  the  standard  method,  and  it's  plotted  against  on  the  horizontal  axis  is  the  mean  of  those  two  values.  The   Bland-Altman  analysis  is  helpful  because  it  gives  us  an  idea  about  the  bias.  So  here  I  have  an  estimate  of  the  bias  is  negative  0.113,  but  we  can  see  that  the  interval  estimate  of  the  bias  includes  zero,  so  we  can't  reject  the  idea  that  the  bias  is  equal  to  zero  and  so  on.  Now  we  have  in   JMP® 17,  a  much  more  complete  set  of  tools  for  comparing  different  test  methods.   That  concludes  our  presentation.  Thank  you.