cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Do You Trust Me? Assessing Reliability for Driver-assisted Autonomous Vehicles (2023-EU-30MP-1235)

Caleb King, Research Statistician Tester, JMP Division, SAS Institute Inc.
Peng Liu, Principal Research Statistician Developer, JMP

Autonomous vehicles, or self-driving cars, no longer only live in science fiction. Engineers and scientists are making them a reality. Their reliability concerns, or more importantly, safety concerns, have been crucial to their commercial success. Can we trust autonomous vehicles? Do we have the information to make this decision? In this talk, we investigate the reliability of autonomous vehicles (AVs) produced by four leading manufacturers by analyzing the publicly available data that have been submitted to the California DMV AV testing program. We will assess the quality of the data, evaluate the amount of information contained in the data, analyze the data in various ways, and eventually attempt to draw some conclusions from what we have learned in the process. We will show how we utilized various tools in JMP® in this study, including processing the raw data, establishing assumptions and limitations of the data, fitting different reliability models, and finally selecting appropriate models to draw conclusions. The limitations of the data include both quality and quantity. As such, our results might be far from conclusive, but we can still gain important insights with proper statistical methodologies.

Link to CA DMV disengagement reports

Link to AV Recurrent Events Paper

Hello,  my  name  is  Caleb  King.  I'm  a  developer  in  the  DoE  and  reliability  group  at  JMP.  Today  I  figured  I'd  showcase  what  I  think  is  a  bit  of  an  overlooked  platform  in  the  reliability  suite  of  analysis  tools,  and  that's  the  reliability  growth  platform.  I  thought  I'd  do  that  in  the  context  of  something  that's  become  pretty  popular  nowadays,  and  that's  autonomous  vehicles.  They're  fast  becoming  a  reality,  not  so  much  science  fiction  anymore.  We  have  a  lot  of  companies  working  on  extensive  testing  of  these  vehicles.

It's  nice  to  test  these  vehicles  on  maybe  a  nice  track  at  your  lab  or  something  like  that.  But  nothing  beats  real  actual  road  testing,  which  is  why  early  in  the  2010s,  the  state  of  California's  Department  of  Motor  Vehicles  actually  put  together  a  testing  program  that  allowed  these  companies  to  test  their  vehicles  on  roads  within  the  state.  Now,  as  part  of  that  agreement,  each  company  was  required  to  submit  an  annual  report  which  would  detail  out  any  type  of  disengagement  incidents.  Or  heaven  forbid,  any  crashes  that  happened  involving  their  autonomous  vehicles.

Those  had  to  be  reported  to  the  Department  of  Motor  Vehicles,  the  DMV.  Now,  one  benefit  of  the  DMV  being  a  federal  institution  is  that  these  reports  are  actually  available  upon  request.  In  fact,  we  can  go  there  right  now  to  the  site  and  you'll  see  that  you  can  at  least  access  the  most  recent  reports.  We  have  the  2021  reports.  They're  still  compiling  the  2022.  You  could  also,  if  you  want,  email.  If  you  wanted  some  previous  ones,  I  did  that  with  a  brief  justification  of  what  I  was  doing.  They  were  pretty  quick  to  respond.

Now,  we  have  different  types  of  reports  and  different  types  of  testing.  We're  we're  focusing  on  testing  where  there  is  a  driver  in  the  vehicle  and  the  driver  can  take  over  as  necessary.  This  isn't  a  fully  autonomous  vehicle.  You  do  have  to  be  in  the  driver's  seat  to  do  this.  We're  using  these  disengagement  events  as  a  proxy  for  assessing  the  reliability  of  the  vehicles.  Obviously,  we  don't  have  access  to  the  software  in  these  vehicles.  If  you  worked  at  those  companies,  you  could  probably  have  more  information.  We  obviously  don't.

But  they're  a  proxy  because  if  you  want  our  vehicle  to  be  reliable,  that  means  it  needs  to  be  operating  as  you  intend  within  the  environment.  Any  time  you  have  to  take  over  the  AI  for  some  reason,  that  could  be  a  sign,  "I t's  not  exactly  operating  as  I  intended."  We  can  use  it  as  a  bit  of  a  proxy.  Again,  it's  not  the  best  approximation,  but  it's  still  pretty  good.  Of  course,  I'm  not  the  first  one  to  think  of  this.  This  is  actually  an  informal  extension  of  some  work  I've  done  recently  with  my  advisor,  Yili  Hong,  and  a  bunch  of  other  co-authors  where  we  actually  looked  at  this  type  of  data  from  a  recurrent  events  perspective.

I'm  going  to  do  a  slightly  different  approach  here.  But  there  is  a  preprint  of  this  article  available  if  you  want  to  check  it  out  that  does  something  similar.  Let  me  go  in  and  describe  the  data  you  for  you  real  quick.  I'm  not  going  to  be  looking  at  every  company  doing  testing.  There's  so  many  out  there.  I'm  going  to  focus  on  one,  and  those  would  be  events  submitted  by  Waymo,  which  was  Google's  self  driving  car  project.  Now  they're  their  own  subsidiary  entity.  These  are  their  annual  reports.  Let  me  define  what  we  mean  by  disengagement  events.

I'm  in  the  driver's  seat  and  if  something's  happening,  I'm  in  autonomous  mode  and  I  need  to  take  over  and  take  over  driving.  That's  a  disengagement  event.  I  disengage  from  autonomous  mode.  That  could  be  for  any  reason.  They,  of  course,  need  to  report  what  that  reason  was.  We're  just  using  that  as  our  proxy  measure  here.  These  annual  reports  are  going  to  go  all  the  way  back  to  about  2015,  2014.  That's  when   Waymo started  participating  in  this  program.  The  2015  report  actually  contains  data  back  to  2014.  They  start  in  the  middle  there.

Each  report  essentially  covers  the  range  from  December  of  the  previous  year  to  November  of  the  current  year.  The  2016  report  would  contain  data  from  December  2015  up  to  November  of  2016.  That  way,  they  have  a  month  to  process  the  previous  year's  numbers.  There  are  two  primary  sources  of  data  we're  looking  at  in  each  report.  The  first  one  is  going  to  list  each  incident  that  occurred,  when  it  happened  that  could  be  as  detailed  as  day  and  time,  or  it  could  just  be  the  month.

Again,  there's  not  a  lot  of  good  consistency  across  years.  It's  something  we  ran  into.  But  they  at  least  give  some  indication  of  when  it  happened.  They  might  say  where  it  happened  and  they  can  describe  what  happened.  It  could  be  very  detailed  or  it  could  just  be  falling  into  a  particular  category  that  they  give.  Then  the  second  part  of  data  is  going  to  list  the  the  VIN  or  partial  VIN  of  the  vehicle,  so  the  vehicle  identification  number.  Something  to  identify  the  vehicle  and  how  many  autonomous  miles  that  vehicle  is  driven  that  month.  You  might  see  later  on  when  I  show  this  data,  there  might  be  a  bunch  of  zeros.  Zero  just  means  I  either  didn't  drive  that  vehicle  or  I  just  didn't  drive  it  in  autonomous  mode.

In  either  case,  I  was  not  doing  active  testing  of  the  autonomous  mode  of  the  vehicle.  Now,  as  I  mentioned  earlier,  there  was  a  bit  of  inconsistency.  Prior  to  2018,  when  they  listed  the  disengagement  events,  they  actually  don't  give  the  benefit  of  the  vehicle.  We  don't  know  what  vehicle  was  involved.  We  know  how  many  autonomous  miles  it  drove  that  month,  but  we  have  no  idea  what  vehicle  was  involved.  Starting  in  2018,  that  information  is  now  available.  Now  we  can  match  vehicle  to  the  incident,  which  means  when  we  do  this  analysis,  I'm  going  to  do  it  at  two  different  levels.

One  is  at  an  aggregate  level  where  I'm  going  to  be  looking  at  each  month  all  of  the  vehicles  being  tested  at  that  time.  Then  looking  at  the  incident  rates  overall  in  an  aggregate  measure.  The  second  will  be  then  I  will  zoom  in  at  the  vehicle  level.  I'll  look  at  it  by  VIN.  For  that  data,  I'll  only  be  going  back  to  2018.  For  the  aggregate  level,  I  can  take  all  of  it.  Now,  before  we  get  through  the  analysis,  actually  wanted  to  show  you  some  tools  that  JMP  has  available  that  allowed  us  to  quickly  process  and  accumulate  this  data.  Again,  to  show  you  how  easy  it  is  and  show  off  a  few  features  in  JMP.  Some  of  them  are  really  new,  some  of  them  have  been  around  for  a  little  while.

Let  me  start  by  showing  you  one  thing  that  helped  us,  and  that  was  being  able  to  read  in  data  from  PDFs.  Prior  to  2018,  a  lot  of  these  data  were  compiled  in  PDFs.  Afterwards,  they  put  them  in  an  Excel  file,  which  made  it  a  lot  easier  to  just  copy  and  paste  into  a  JMP  table.  But  for  those  PDFs,  how  did  we  handle  that?  Let  me  give  you  an  example  using  data  from  2017.  This  is  actually  one  of  the  best  formatted  reports  we  see  from  companies.  Some  summaries  here,  some  tables  here  and  there.  This  in  appendix  A  is  the  data  I'm  looking  at.

You  can  see  here,  this  is  the  disengagement  events.  We  have  a  cause,  usually  just  a  category  here.  They  have  the  day,  which  is  actually  the  month.  A  bit  of  a  discrepancy  there,  the  location  and  type.  But  this  is  basically  just  telling  us  how  many  disengagement  events  happen  each  month.  Then  we  have  a  table  here  or  a  series  of  tables  actually  here  at  the  back.  This  is  showing  us  for  each  vehicle,  in  this  case,  it  only  gives  partial  event  information.  There  is  not  a  lot  of  information  available  in  these  early  reports  and  then  showing  you  how  many  autonomous  miles  were  driven  each  month.  How  can  we  put  this  into  JMP?  Well,  I  could  just  copy  and  paste,  but  that's  a  bit  tedious.  We  can  do  better  than  that.

Let  me  come  here.  I'm  going  to  go  to  my  File,  I'm  going  to  go  to  Open.  There's  my  PDF.  I'm  going  to  click  Open  and  JMP  has  a  PDF  import  wizard.  Awesome.  Now  what  it's  going  to  do  is  it's  going  to  go  through  and  look  at  each  page   and identify  whatever  tables  it  finds  there.  It's  going  to  categorize  them  by  the  page  and  what  the  table  is  on  that  page.  Of  course,  when  you  save  it  out,  you  can,  of  course,  change  the  name.

Now,  I  don't  want  every  table  on  every  page.  What  I'm  going  to  do  is  I'm  going  to  go  to  this  red  triangle  on  this  page  and  just  say,  "Ignore  all  the  tables  on  this  page.  I  don't  want  these."  I'll  say,  ""Okay,"  I'll  do  the  same  here.  It's  a  nice  summary  table,  but  it's  not  what  I  want.  Then  I  start  saying, " This  is  the  data  I  want."  Now,  we're  going  to  notice  here,  this  is  formatted  pretty  well.  It's  gotten  the  data  I  want.  If  I  scroll  to  the  next  one,  this  is  technically  a  continuation  of  the  table  from  before.  However,  by  default,  JMP  is  going  to  assume  that  every  table  on  each  page  is  its  own  entity.

What  I  can  do  to  tell  JMP  that  actually  this  is  just  a  continuation  is  to  go  to  the  table  here  on  the  page,  click  the  red  triangle  and  say  for  the  number  of  rows  to  use  as  header,  there  actually  are  none.  This  is  a  way  to  tell  JMP  that  actually  that's  a  continuation  of  the  previous  table.  We'll  check  in  the  data  here,  and  it  looks  like  it  did  it  now.  I'm  going  to  check  here  at  the  bottom  and  I  noticed,  "Oh,  I  missed  that  October  data.  That's  okay.  I'm  going  to  do  a  quick  little  stretch  there  and  boom,  I  got  it."  That's  okay.  You  can  manipulate  the  tables.  I f  it  didn't  catch  something,  you  can  stretch  and  manipulate  the  table  to  adjust  it.  You  can  also  add  tables  it  didn't  find.

In  this  case,  I  missed  this.  That's  okay.  I'm  going  to  drag  a  box  around it.  Boom.  There's  a  new  table  for  you,  JMP.  I'm  going  to  go  in  here.  It's  going  to  assume  that  there  are  some  header  rows.  Actually,  there  are  none.  Okay,  great.  Now  it's  captured  that  part  of  the  data.  There's  a  bit  of  an  empty  cell  here.  That's  just  a  formatting  error  because  this  is  technically  two  lines,  so  they  didn't  put  this  at  the  top.  It's  okay.  Easy  fix  on  the  back  end.  Now  for  these  tables,  what  we  notice  if  we  go  to  that  is  it  actually  thinks,  "Well,  this  is  actually  one  table."  Unfortunately,  it's  technically  not  correct  because  there  are  two  tables,  but  it's  an  easy  fix.  I  can  simply  go  to  each  one  and  say,  "It's  actually  not  a  continuation  JMP.  This  actually  has  its  own  header."

It  says,  "Okay,"  and  you  can  do  that  for  each  of  these  tables.  I  won't  do  it  for  all  of  them.  I'm  just  doing  this  to  illustrate.  What  we'd  have  to  do  is  we'd  probably  end  up  with  a  bunch  of  tables  here  where  we'll  have  to  horizontally  concatenate.  That's  just  the  way  they  decide  to  format  in  the  report.  But  JMP  has  a  lot  of  tools  to  help  us  with  concatenating  and  putting  tables  together.  But  you  can  see  this  is  a  lot  easier  than  trying  to  copy  and  paste  this  into  JMP,  making  sure  that  the  formatting  is  all  good.  JMP  is  going  to  do  a  lot  of  that  for  us.

Okay,  another  helpful  tool  that  came  out  recently  in  JMP  2017  is,  if  you've  probably  heard  of  it,  the  JMP  workflow.  That  was  super  helpful  because  obviously  we  have  multiple  reports  over  multiple  years.  We'd  like  to  at  least  combine  across  all  the  years  into  two  reports,  one  with  the  disengagement  events,  one  with  the  mileage.  What  we  did  is  we  created  an  initial...  We  followed  some  steps  to  set  up  the  table  in  a  way  that  we  can  then  concatenate  them  together  into  one  table,  and  then  we  saved  it  into  a  workflow.

That's  what  I  have  demonstrated  here.  This  is  a  workflow  builder  that  we  put  together  for  that.  I'm  going  to  demonstrate  it  using  this  data  set.  This  is  particular  for  our  mileage.  What  we  have  here  is  a  table.  This  represents  what  we  would  have  a  raw  output  from  one  of  the  reports.  Here  we,  of  course,  have  it  broken  down  by  VIN  number.  We've  got  a  lot  of  information  here.  We'd  like  to  reformat  this  table.  First  thing  I'm  going  to  do,  I'm  just  going  to  walk  through  each  step.  I'm  not  going  to  show  too  many  details  in  each  step.  You'll  see  what  they  are.  It's  pretty  self  explanatory.

This  first  one  is  going  to  change  the  name  of  this  column  to  vehicle.  That  way  it  matches  a  column  in  our  concatenated  table.  I'm  going  to  go  over,  I'm  going  to  delete  this  total  column.  I  don't  need  that.  Then  I'm  going  to  do  a  stack  across  all  the  dates.  You  can  see  I've  got  that  here.  We  conveniently  called  it  stacked  table,  very  informative.  Now,  one  thing  I  need  to  do  here,  I  put  a  pause  here,  that's  the  little  stop  sign.  In.  That's  because  I  would  usually  need  to  go  in  and  change  the  year.

Now,  something  I  could  do  right  now,  I  couldn't  really  figure  out  a  way  to  get  a  variable,  say  year,  that  you  could  just  fill  out,  put  the  year  there,  and  then  it  automatically  fill  it  in  here.  That's  maybe  something  I  can  go  to  community.jmp.com ,  go  onto  the  wish  list  and  say,  "Hey,  it'd  be  nice  if  I  could  do  this."  But  for  right  now,  I  just  put  in  the  years.  It  was  pretty  easy  to  do  compared  to  doing  this  multiple  times.  Pretty  straightforward.  But  again,  I  can  also  highlight  for  you  how  you  can  actually  go  in  and  adjust  the  script  itself.  You  can  go  in  and  tailor  this  to  your  needs.  What  this  is  going  to  do  is  recode  these  so  it  shows  the  month  and  the  year.  I'll  do  that  real  quick.  There  we  are.

The  next  step  is  going  to  take  this.  Right  now,  this  is  a  category,  it's  a  string,  I  want  a  number.  That's  what  I  do  next.  Now,  this  isn't  pretty.  This  is  just  the  number  of  seconds  since  some  date  in  1900,  I  believe.  Obviously,  that's  not  pretty.  I'd  like  to  show  something  more  informative.  That's  what  I  do  in  the  next  step.  Now,  it  shows  the  month  and  the  year.  I'm  going  to  stop  here.  I'm  not  going  to  continue  because  at  this  point  I'd  have  another  table  open.  This  next  step  would  then  concatenate  the  tables  and  then  close  off  these  intermediate  tables.  What  I'm  going  to  do  is  I'm  going  to  reset  stuff.  I'll  reset,  click  here.  I'm  going  to  reopen  this  table.  I'm  going  to  do  this  just  so  you  can  see  how  fast  this  goes.

Here  I'm  going  to  click  over  here,  I'm  going  to  click  Play,  I'm  going  to  click  Play  again.  Look  how  fast  that  was.  Now,  imagine  doing  this  for  multiple  reports.  How  much  faster  that  is  than  repeating  the  same  steps  over  and  over  and  over  again.  This  workflow  was  really  helpful  in  this  situation.

Now,  I'm  going  to  close  all  these  out  because   it's  time  to  get  into  the  analysis.  Let's  do  that.  I'm  going  to  start  with  the  aggregate  level  data.  Here's  my  table.  I  compiled  across  all  the  data,  all  the  time  periods.  We  have  the  month,  we  have  how  many  disengagement  happened  in  that  month.  I  got  a  column  here  for  the  cumulative  total.  I've  got  here  how  many  autonomous  models  were  driven.  I  got  two  columns  here  that  I'm  going  to  talk  about  in  just  a  second.  You'll  have  to  just  wait.

What  I'm  going  to  do  is  I'm  going  to  go  in,  I'm  going  to  go  to  Analyze.  I'm  going  to  go  under  Reliability  and  Survival,  and  then  I'm  going  to  scroll  all  the  way  down  until  I  reach  Reliability  Growth.  I'll  click  that.  Now  we  have  multiple  tabs  here.  I'm  only  going  to  focus  on  these  first  two  because  these  last  two  concern  if  I  have  multiple  systems.  I'll  revisit  those  when  we  get  to  the  actual  vehicle  information.  For  right  now,  let's  pretend  that  we're  looking  at  the  whole  AV  system,  the  artificial  intelligence  system  in  these  vehicles.  Think  of  it  as  one  big  system.

There  are  two  ways  that  I  can  assess  this.  One,  I  can  do  as  time  to  event,  essentially  how  many  months  until  a  certain  event  happened  or  days  if  we  had  that.  Or  I  could  do  it  via  a  particular  time  stamp.  Basically,  what  was  the  time  at  which  it  occurred?  I  do  have  that  type  of  formatted  data.  I  have  it  at  the  month.  The  month  is  a  fine  timestamp.  It  just  says  in  that  month  I  had  this  many  events  happen.  That's  all  I  need  to  put  in.  I  have  all  the  data  I  need.  I'll  click  OK.

Now,  great  thing  about  this  is  before  you  do  any  analysis,  you  should,  of  course,  look  at  your  data,  visualize  your  data.  It's  nice  because  the  first  thing  it  does  is  it  visualizes  the  data  for  you.  Let's  look  at  it.  One  thing  we're  looking  at,  we're  looking  at  cumulative  events  over  time.  What  we  expect  is  a  behavior  where  early  on  we  might  have  what  I'll  call  a  burn  in  type  period  where  I  have  a  lot  of  events  and  it's  happening.  I'm  tweaking  the  system,  helping  fix  it,  helping  improve  it.

Then  ultimately,  what  I'd  like  to  see  is  this  plateau.  I'd  like  it  to  increase  and  then  flatten  off.  That  tells  me  that  my  number  of  incidents  is  decreasing.  If  it  goes  completely  flat,  that's  great.  I  have  no  more  incidents  whatsoever.  I  wish  the  were  like  that,  it  is  not.  But  we  can  see  patterns  here  in  the  data.  Let's  walk  through.  We  have  a  burn  in  period  here,  early  2015,  and  then  about  mid  2016,  we  flatten  off  until  about  here.  We  see  a  little  blip,  about  summer  of  2016,  something  happens.  We  get  a  few  more  incidents.  We  level  off  again  until  we  get  to  about  here,  about  late  spring  of  2018.

Something  else  happened  because  we  start  going  up  again.  They're  not  very  steep.  This  one's  a  bit  longer.  Then  we  pretty  much  at  here,  we  almost  flattened  out.  We've  reached  the  period  where  we're  really  having  no  incidents  happen,  essentially,  till  the  end  of  2020.  Then  something  happens  in  2021  and  where  we've  reached  essentially  another  burn  in  period,  something's  going  on.  Essentially  what  we've  got  is  four  phases,  if  you  will,  happening  in  the  growth  of  the  system.  Something's  changed  two  or  three  times  to  impact  the  reliability.

Another  way  to  visualize  this,  I'll  run  this  plot.  This  uses  some  data.  I'm  plotting  again  the  cumulative  total.  I'm  also  plotting  something  what  I  call  the  empirical  mean  time  between  failures.  It's  a  very  simple  metric  to  compute.  It's  just  the  inverse  of  the  number  of  disengagements.  It  is  a  very  ad  hoc,  naive  way  to  try  and  estimate  the  mean  time  between  incidents.  But  I  plotted  here  so  that  you  can  see,  you'll  notice  these  four peaks  that  correspond  to  the  bend  in  the  curve.  But  there  are  four  of  them  indicating  these  four  places  where  something  has  changed  in  the  system  to  affect  its  reliability.

What  we  can  do  then  is  try  to  figure  out,  what  are  those  breakpoints?  One  way  you  could  do  that  is  the  reliability  growth  platform  has  a  way  to  fit  a  certain  model.  I'll  pause  here  to  talk  about  the  model  a  bit.  All  of  these  are  actually  the  same  model  with  slight  modifications.  They're  all  what  we  call  a   non-homogeneous poisson process.  That  is  a  fancy  way  to  describe  a  counting  process.  I'm  counting  something,  but  the  rate  at  which  the  accounts  might  occur  per  unit  time  is  changing  over  time.  A  Poisson process  just  means  that  at  a  constant  rate,  so  the  rate  at  which  incidents  would  occur  would  to  be  constant,  that  would  be  equivalent  to  seeing  a  straight  line.

It's  very  easy  to  model,  but  it's  bad  for  reality  because  obviously  we  don't  want  the  rate  to  stay  the  same.  We  would  like  it  to  decrease  to  essentially  zero.  That's  why  we  have  a   non-homogeneous poisson process. We  want  it  to  change  over  time.  Here  we  have  a  model  where  we  can  actually  let  JMP  try  and  figure  out  a  change  point  in  the  process.  If  I  run  it,  what  it's  going  to  do  is  it's  actually  going  to  catch  this  big  piece  and  say,  "Hey,  something  really  changed  there.  For  most  of  it,  it  was  the  same  thing,  but  after  this  point,  it  really  changed."  Now  here  it's  only  going  to  change  one  at  a  time.  I  have  talked  to  the  developer  about,  wouldn't  it  be  nice  if  we  could  identify  multiple  change  points?

A pparently  that's  a  bit  of  an  open  research  problem,  so  me  and  him  might  be  working  together  to  try  and  figure  that  out.  But  what  I  did  is  I  essentially  eyeballed  it  and  said,  "I  think  there  are  certain  phases.  I  think  there's  about  three  or  four  phases,  and  I  did  it  empirically,  which  is  where  you  get  this  column."  I'm  going  to  run  that  script.  Let  me  show  you  how  I  did  it.  I  come  here  under  redo,  go  to  relaunch,  and  all  I  did  was  I  added  the  phase  column  here.  This  tells  you  that  there  are  different  periods  where  the  reliability  might  have  changed  significantly,  excuse  me,  in  some  way.

If  we think  of  that,  we're  going  to  look  at  the  key  metric  here  as  the  mean  time  between  failure.  We're  going  to  see  early  on,  so  this  is  in  months,  this  here  is  about  three  days,  4- 5,  about  a  week,  and  this  is  about  a  day,  day  and  a  half.  Early  on,  we  have  a  bit  of  a  low  time.  It's  pretty  frequent.  We  can  also  look  here,  I'll  show  you  the  intensity  plot.  That  might  be  another  thing  to  interpret.  What  we're  looking  for  is  we'd  like  the  mean  time  between  failures  to  be  long.  We'd  like  it  to  be  a  long  time  between  incidents,  ideally  infinite.  That  means  nothing  ever  happens,  and  our  intensity  to  decrease.

What  we're  looking  here  is,  we  get  a  bit  of  a  good  start.  About  middle  of  2016,  we're  doing  really  well.  In  fact,  we  get  to  about  a  week  between  an  incident  for  any  vehicle.  There  was  a  bit  of  a  blip,  but  we  primarily  get  back  to  where  we  were  until  we  get  to  the  end  of  2021,  where  now  it's  essentially  about  a  day  between  incidents  for  any  vehicle.  Something  big  happened  here  at  the  end  of  2020  with  these  vehicles  with  this  software  system,  if  you  will.

Again,  you  can  see  here  with  the  intensity,  you  can  almost  do  one  curve  and  we  get  down  to  about  six  or  seven  incidents  per  month.  Whereas  here  it's  almost  30,  essentially,  once  a  day.  We've  been  able  to  look  into  here  and  discover  what's  going  on,  at  least  at  the  aggregate  level.  Before  we  get  to  the  vehicle  level,  I'm  going  to  run  one  more  graph  that's  looking  at,  we've  got  all  these  autonomous  miles.  Could  it  be  that  if  I  drive  it  more  often,  maybe  I  encounter  more  incidents?  Could  that  have  an  effect?  T here's  a  quick  way  to  assess  that.  Just  using  a  simple  graph.  We'll  just  plot  autonomous  miles  versus  the  total  disengagements.

We  see  here  for  are  a  few  number  of  disengagements,  that  might  be  true.  The  more  you  drive,  the  more  you  might  see.  But  in  general,  long  term,  not  really.  There's  really  no  big,  strong  correlation  between  how  many  autonomous  miles  driven,  how  many  engagements  you  see.  There's  something  else  going  on. T hat's  actually  what  we  found  in  the  paper  that  I  mentioned  earlier  is  that  the  mileage  impact  was  very  minimal.

Now,  let's  zoom  in  to  the  individual  vehicle.  We're  not  going  to  have  all  the  data,  even  though  I  actually  do  have  it  here.  But  we're  not  going  to  have  complete  data  for  all  of  the  vehicles.  Let  me  break  it  down.  I  have  the  month,  I  have  the  vehicle  identification  number.  Notice  some  of  these,  it's  only  partial.  I  have  here  what  I  call  a  VIN  series.  This  is  very  empirical.  I'm  just  taking  the  first  four  digits  of  the  VIN.  You'll  see  here,  I'm  going  to  scroll  down  a  bit  and  we'll  see.  Let's  see,  maybe  I  will  drag  down  a  little  bit.  There  we  go.

Some  of  these  VINs,  a  lot  of  them  actually  start  with  the  same  four  digits,  2C4R.  I'll  call  them  the  2C4  series.  There's  a  bunch  of  vehicles  that  have  this  as  their  starting  one.  This  identifies  a  particular  fleet  of  vehicles,  at  least  from  an  empirical  view.  If  I  scroll  down,  we're  going  to  run  into  a  different  series,  which  I'm  going  to  call  the  SADH  series.  This  is  the  one  that  was  introduced  about  2021.  That's  when  I  saw  the  Venn  numbers  change  to  the  SADH  designation.

Again,  I  have  how  many  of  miles,  I  have  a  starting  month,  when  did  that  vehicle  start?  I'm  going  to  use  this  to  compute  the  time  to  events.  First,  I'm  going  to  do  a  plot.  I  think  this  is  the  most  informative  plot  you'll  see  for  this  analysis.  What  I've  done  here  is  I've  essentially  created  for  you  a  heat  map.  You  can  see  I've  got  the  heat  map  option  select.  Selected,  I  got  for  each  vehicle  and  over  time,  essentially  a  cell,  and  that's  just  going  to  indicate,  was  I  driven  in  autonomous  mode  anytime  that  month?

I  got  it  color  coded  by  the  series.  These  vertical  lines  correspond  to  the  transitions  between  those  empirical  phases  I  mentioned  earlier.  What  this  is  telling  us  is  basically,  can  we  identify  what  might  have  caused  those  transitions?  Here  we  see  an  initial  series  of  vehicles,  and  it  looks  like  there  wasn't  a  big  change  in  what  vehicles  were  introduced  here.  Maybe  there  was  a  bit  of  a  software  upgrade  for  this  particular  series  that  may  have  introduced  those  new  incidents.  Here  we  see  that  a  new  series  was  introduced,  a  smaller  number  of  vehicles,  maybe pilot  series.  Then  a  bunch  of  them  introduced  about  that  same  period  where  we  saw  the  other  transition.

Here,  this  seems  to  correspond  to  a  new  fleet  of  vehicles  with  maybe  a  slightly  updated  version  of  the  software.  Here,  we  see  a  clear  distinction.  Obviously,  in  2021,  a  completely  new  series  of  vehicles  was  introduced.  We  have  a  bit  of  the  old  vehicles  still  there  in  the  mixture,  but  most  of  them  are  the  new  vehicles.  That  probably  explains  why  we  got  a  new  batch  of  new  incidents.  We  got  a  burn  in  period  for  this  new  series  of  vehicles.  This  is  cool  because  now  we  have  a  bit  more  explanation  as  to  what  was  going  on  with  the  aggregate  data,  which  is  why  it's  important  to  have  this  information.

Now  let's  break  it  down  by  VIN.  I  have  right  here  script  to  indicate  we've  got  a  table  here  and  it's  similar  to  the  table  I  have  previously.  Notice  some  of  these  have  been  excluded  and  this  is  because  if  for  that  particular  vehicle,  the  total  number  of  incidents  was  less  than  three,  the  platform  is  not  going  to  be  able  to  fit  a  model  for  you  because  it  needs  at  least  three  incidents  per  vehicle.  That  makes  sense.  I  have  only  one  or  two,  that's  not  really  enough  information  to  assess  the  reliability.  If  I  have  three  or  more,  now  we're  talking,  I  can  do  something.

I  also  have  the  month  since  the  start.  I  have  some  cumulative  information  there  which  month  it  started.  I'm  going  to  go  ahead  then  and  run  the  platform.  Don't  worry,  I  will  show  you  how  I  did  this.  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  redo,  relaunch.  I'm  going  to  get  rid  of  that.  That's  some  leftover  stuff.  I'm  looking  at  one  of  these  two  last  platforms.  These  are  about  multiple  systems.  Now  we're  thinking  of  each  vehicle  as  its  own  system.  The  concurrent  just  means  I'm  going  to  run  each  vehicle  one  after  the  other.

That's  not  what's  happening  here.  The  vehicles  are  essentially  being  run  in  parallel.  Multiple  vehicles  are  being  driven  at  a  time.  Here  I  need  a  column  to  indicate  the  time  to  event,  in  this  case,  how  many  months  since  the  start  until  this  many  events  happened.  I  have  the  system  ID.  The  one  thing  that's  not  shown  here  is  I  actually  took  the  VIN  series  and  used  that  as  a  by  variable,  which  is  why  we  have  the  where  VIN  equals  so  and  so.  There's  only  going  to  be  two  because  the  one  with  a  little  asterisks  has  no  information  about  incidents.  That's  because  that  was  two  earlier  that  was  prior  to  being  able  to  tie  the   VIN to  the  vehicle.

But  they  were  there  for  completeness,   I'm cancelled  out  of  that.  Now,  what  we're  going  to  see  here  is  a  list  of  models  that  you  could  run.  These  first  four,  I'm  not  going  to  be  able  to  do  because  I  only  have  one  phase.  Essentially,  the  phase  now  corresponds  to  the  VIN  series.  But  there  are  two  that  I  could  run  and  the  only  difference  is,  do  I  want  to  run  a  model  for  all  of  them  saying  these  are  all  part  of  an  identical  system?  Makes  sense.  These  are  all  vehicles,  they  probably  run  the  same  software.  Maybe  I  can  run  a  model  for  all  of  them.  Or  I  can  have  a  model  where  I  fit  it  to  each  individual  vehicle.

Before  I  run  those  models,  let's  take  a  look  at  this  plot.  Again,  start  with  the  visualization  and  what  we  see  plotted  is  all  the  vehicles.  Notice  here  there's  a  bit  of  a  shallow  slope  to  this.  Essentially  there's  a  bit  of  a  steep  curve,  but  then  it  levels  off  pretty  quick.  This  is  a  pretty  good  sign  of  reliability  going  on  here.  I'm  going  to  compare  them,  I'm  going  to  scroll  down  to  the  next  one,  the  set  series.  Now,  initially  the  axes  here,  just  so  you  know,  when  you  run  it  next  time,  the  axes  are  going  to  only  go  to  the  complete  set  of  data.  This  would  actually  be  a  smaller  range.

I  fix  them  so  they  had  the  same  range.  You  can  clearly  see  that  this  is  much  steeper  than  this.  Clearly,  we  have  more  incidents  happening  with  this  new  series  than  this  one.  But  we  can  do  a  quick  model  fit.  I'm  going  to  do  the  identical  system.  Again,  it's  a   non-homogeneous poisson process.  Although  in  this  case,  I'm  going  to  ignore  the  estimates  for  right  now,  if  you  want  to  look  at  that,  you  can.  I'm  going  to  go  straight  to  the  mean  time  between  failure  and  you'll  notice  that  for  all  the  months  it's  pretty  much  flat.

What  it's  essentially  done  is  this  is  just  a  poisson  process.  The  rate  is  constant,  which  is  good  for  modeling,  not  so  good  in  terms  of  assessing  it.  It's  just  saying  across  this  whole  time  for  this  particular  series,  we  pretty  much  reached  for  any  one  vehicle,  a  mean  time  of  about  five  months  between  incidents.  Now,  let's  compare  that  to  what  we  saw  with  the  aggregate  where  it  was  about  a  week,  that's  across  any  vehicle.  It's  just  saying  for  any  vehicle,  it  was  about  a  week  between  an  incident  for  any  vehicle.  Whereas  this  seems  to  be  implying  it's  about  five  months  for  any  one  vehicle.

You  can  think  of  it  as  the  running  in  parallel,  so  you  can  see  it's  staggered.  Any  one  vehicle,  it  could  be  about  five  months.  Again,  this  is  an  average,  there's  a  lot  of  range  between  there.  For  one  vehicle,  it's  a  pretty  long  time.  But  in  aggregate,  they're  probably  staggered  enough  that  it  seems  like  it's  about  a  week  for  any  one  vehicle.  They  can  be  consistent  like  that.  But  this  is  still  pretty  good.  That's  about  five  months  between  an  incident,  a  disengagement  event  here  for  that  series.  If  we  run  to  the  SADH  series  and  do  the  same  model,  let  me  go  here.  There  we  see  clearly  increasing.  I'm  going  to  hide  that.  If  we  look  at  this,  it  says,  "No,"  early  on  we  probably  had  about  two  months.  That's  a  bit  of  a  start  there.  But  we've  dropped  to  less  than  a  month,  almost  two  to  three  weeks  between  incidents.

Clearly,  there's  a  bit  more  work  to  do  on  this  series.  Again,  it  was  just  introduced,  so  this  is  probably  more  of  the  burn  in  phase.  If  we  get  the  2022  data,  we  might  start  to  see  it  level  off  like  it  did  in  the  previous  series.  This  actually  might  flip  and  be  more  of  a  level  curve.  That's  about  all  I  want  to  show  for  these  platforms.  I  can  show  you  some  of  the  individual  distinct  systems,  but  there  are  a  lot  of  systems  here  and  so  it's  going  to  get  crowded  very  quickly.  There's  a  plot  for  each  one.  There's  estimates  for  each  one.  You  can  look  at  the  mean  time  between  failure  for  each  one.

If  there  are  particular  vehicles  you  wanted  to  call  out  and  see  how  they  might  differ,  this  is  what  you  can  do.  You  can  see  some  increase,  some  decrease,  but  overall  more  or  less  flat.  You  can  also  look  at  intensity  plots.  If  you  find  that  more  interpretable  than  the  mean  time  between  failure,  you  have  other  metrics  that  you  can  incorporate  here.  Okay, t hat's  all  I  want  to  show  for  this  platform.  Now,  of  course,  there's  data  I  didn't  include  here.  For  example,  we  could  break  it  down  by  cause.

For  some  of  this  data,  cause  might  be,  I  just  need  to  take  over  because  it  was  getting  too  close  to  the  side  of  the  the  road.  Or  maybe  the  car  stopped  at  the  stop  sign,  did  what  it  was  supposed  to,  started  rolling,  and  some  other  driver  blew  through  the  stop  sign  coming  the  other  way.  In  which  case,  maybe  that  might  not  necessarily  be  a  reliability  hit.  The  car  did  what  it  was  supposed  to.  Somebody  else  wasn't.  It'd  be  interesting  to  break  it  down  by  that,  also  by  location.  The  number  of  incidents,  you  get  more  when  you're  in  the  city,  maybe  on  the  highway,  something  like  that.

Real  quick,  we  should  look  at  the  mileage  impact.  Again,  same  information,  one  or  two  incidents,  sure,  that  might  change.  But  overall  it's  going  to  be  flat.  The  mileage  impact  on  the  incident  rate  is  minimal.  Of  course,  this  is  just  one  of  many  platforms  available  in  the  reliability  suite.  You  can  see  there's  a  ton  of  options,  very  flexible  for  helping  assess  reliability.  Again,  that's  all  I  have  to  show  you.  Hopefully,  I've  been  able  to  demonstrate  for  you  how  well  JMP  can  help  initiate  discovery  and  analysis.  Hopefully,  you  discovered  a  lot  of  things  about  this  particular  company's  autonomous  vehicles.  I  hope  you  enjoy  the  rest  of  the  conference.  Thank  you.