cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Lost? Use JMP® Search! (2023-EU-30MP-1337)

Evan McCorkle, Principal Software Developer, JMP Statistical Discovery LLC

Do you or your colleagues ever wonder if JMP can do a particular analysis? It probably can, and now in JMP 17 there is a new way to find out how. JMP Search is a new help capability that can guide you to JMP features and other resources like the JMP Community. Whatever your experience with JMP, it is designed to help find new-to-you features or re-find features you have used but forgotten. You will learn to use JMP Search for data manipulation, statistical analyses, and visualizations. And we will touch on some of the underlying technology behind JMP Search and how you can use it yourself.

Hi,  my  name  is  Evan  McCorkle.  I'm  a  developer  with  JMP,  and  I'm  here  today  to  talk  to  you  about  a  new  feature  in  JMP  version  17  called  JMP  Search.  It's  available  under  the  Help  menu.  There's  Search  JMP,  and  there's  accelerator  key,  CTRL+ comma  here.   The  idea  behind  this  feature  is  to  help  you,  whether  you're  a  new  user  of  JMP  or  an  experienced  user  of  JMP,  to  find  features  within  JMP  that  will  help  you  to  get  your  job  done.

I'm  going  to  go  through  this  demo  today  using  one  of  our  sample  data  tables  you  may  have  seen  before,  Big  Class.  We're  not  going  to  focus  on  any  of  the  actual  statistical  analysis  or  anything  like  that.  I'm  just  going  to  focus  on  using  JMP  search  to  find  different  features  within  JMP  to  use  on  that  table.

I  can  start  by  opening  JMP  search  and  you  get  a  dialog  here.  I'm  going  to  type  Big  Class.  I  misspelled  it,  but  that's  okay.  It  knows  what  I  meant.   I  see  results  here  in  a  details  pane  over  here.  I'm  going  to  go  ahead  and  click  on  that  and  bring  open  the  data  table.  From  here,  we  can  do  a  lot  of  data  table  cleanup,  data  table  manipulation.  For  instance,  what  if  I  wanted  to  exclude  all  the  men  in  this  table?  I  can  click  on  this  and  I  don't  quite  remember  where  this  feature  is,  but  it's  something  about  finding  matches  or  something  like  that.

I  can  bring  that  up  by  the  accelerator  key,  CTRL+ comma,  I  can  type  Matches  and  look  through  the  results  here.   I  see  under  the  rows  or  triangle,  Row  Selection,  Select  Matching  Cells.   I  think  that's  what  I  want.  I  could  learn  more  by  looking  at  the  topic  help  here,  but  I  think  I  just  want  to  run  it.  I  could  run  through  the  Show  Me  dialog  there  or  Show  Me  button  there,  or  I  can  just  double  click  on  this  item  and  I  see   a  guided  path  down  to  that  item,  just  like  if  I  were  to  open  the  Rows  red  triangle  menu.

I've  selected  all  the  men  and  now  I  can  come  over  here  and  hide  and  exclude  them.   Now  let's  say  I'm  going  to  expand  this  table.  I'm  going  to  change  this  from  40  rows  to  millions  of  rows.   I  might  want  to  turn  compression  on  to  do  that.  I  can  go  open  search  and  type  in  Compression  and  I  see  a  couple  of  options  here.   One  under  the  red  triangle  for  the  table,  this  one,  I  see  Compressed  File  When  Saved  and  then under  Utilities,  Compressed  Select  Columns.

Let's  do  that  under  utilities,  Compressed  Select  Columns.   If  we  look  at  that,  we  see  it's  turned  age,  which  is  my  selected  column  into  a  one  by  integer  compressed  column.   We  don't  need  to  reopen  the  search  because  I  remember  under  this  red  triangle,  there's  that  compression  option.  I'm  going  to  go  ahead  and  bring  these  back.  From  the  data  table,  we  can  do  other  things  like  splitting  and  stacking,  and  joining,  and  recoding  column  names,  etc.  But  of  course  JMP  is  more  than  just  data  tables.  We  also  have  statistical  analysis  and  statistical  platforms.   Let's  look  at  some  of  that.

I  can  come  into  here  and  I  can  type  Anova.  There's  a  couple  of  options  here,  but  I  want  to  look  at  these  first  two.   One,  there's  a  tutorial,  and  I  might  want  to  go  through  that  a  little  bit  later,  but  not  now.

Under  Analyze  Fit  Y  by  X,  under  One  way,  there's  Means/Anova .  If  I  look  at  this  diamond  here,  I  can  see,  when  I  hit  Go,  it's  going  to  launch  the  platform  launcher  dialog,  and  it's  going  to  ask  me  to  put  columns  into  Y  and  X,  and  turn  knobs  and  flip  switches,  and  depending  on  the  data  used  and  the  options  chosen,  this  Means/ Anova  may  not  be  available  to  me,  or  it  might  be.

In  particular,  if  we  look  here,  it  says  this  option  is  only  available  when  X  has  more  than  two  levels,  but  I  think  that's  going  to  be  okay.   Let's  hit  Go.  It  brings  up  in  the  Fit  Y  by  X  dialog,  I  want  to  do  height  by  age.  We  see  one  way  here,  that's  just  what  I  wanted.  Let  me  say  okay,  and  we  have  age  has  more  than  two  levels,  so  I  can  bring  back  open  the  search  and  search  again  for  that.  I  see,  it's  just  right  under  the  red  triangle,  second  one  down,  we  can  turn  that  on.

Then  I  want  to  do  a  letters  report.  I  can't  really  remember  connecting,  connected...  Something  about  letters.  Let's  look  at  that.

I  see  a  couple  options  with  Fit  Model,  and  I  see  one  under  One way,  and  I'm  already  in  One way.   It  would  be  great  if  this  is  appropriate  to  use  Oneway  to  do  this.   It's  not  available  to  me  right  now,  but  I  see  it's  under  One way  Means  Comparisons,  and  I  see  lots  of  different  techniques  in  here  with  Student's t  and   Tukey.   Let's  just  look  at  that  under  Compare  Means,  student's  T.   I'm  thinking  if  I  do  this,  and  then  from  here  we  look  at  letters  again,  we  can  see  under  the  outline  for  One way,  and  then  under  the  outline  for  Means  Comparison,  we  have  a  red  triangle  and  Connecting  Letters  Report  is  actually  already  on.

If  we  go  down,  we  can  see  it  under  this  Means  Comparison.  I've  already  got  what  I  wanted.   We  talked  about  data  tables.  This  is  some  statistical  platforms,  some  statistical  analysis.   Now let's talk  about  some  visualization.  I  go  back  to  the  table  and  I'm  actually  going  to  go  down  and  look  at  this  Fit Polynomial  on  Bivariate.  I want  to  do  height  by  weight,  bring  up in   Bivariate  here  and  search  for  Quadratic  again.

I  see  this  red  triangle  entry.  This  is  another  red  triangle  entry,  but  I'm  going  to  look  at  this  one.  Do  a  Quadratic  Fit.  I'm  not  quite  sure  about  that  fit,  but  I  know  I  don't  like  the  red,  so  let's  change  it  to  something  else.  Let's  change  it  to  blue.   Under  that  red  triangle  there,  we  can  change  the  line  color , I'm going to   change  it  to  a  blue.   I  can  bring  this  up  and  now  I  want  a  little  more  in  the  visualization  here.

Let's  look  at  the  Nonparametric  Density  and  turn  that  on.  That's  a  couple  options  in  terms  of  visualization  in  this  frame  within  Bivariate,  but  it's  also  available  in  other  platforms  and  in  other  situations  within  JMP.   To  go  back  to  the  table  here,  I  want  to  call  a  couple  of  things  out.   When  I  showed  this,  I  typed  matches,  but  we  got  results  for  matching  and  matched,  and  that's  because  we  are  doing  stemming  on  the  search  query  and  on  all  the  content  within  JMP.

This  search  will  work  no  matter  what  your  display  language  is  within  JMP.  It'll  work  in  English  and  French,  and  Italian,  and  German,  and  Spanish,  and  Japanese,  and  Korean,  and  simplified  Chinese.

No  matter  what  your  display  language  is  in  JMP,  you  can  search  in  that  language  and  then  get  results  here  in  that  language  that  are  localized  for  you,  as  well  as  in  the  details  pane  over  here  and  navigate  in  the  same  way  that  I  did  in  English.   The  technology  that  we're  using  to  turn  matches  into  results  for  matching  and  matched  is  also  available  for  you  to  use  for  yourself  in  your  your  own  data  tables  through  Analyze  Text  Explorer.

Within  Text  Explorer,  if  you  have  a  bunch  of  text  data  to  look  at,  you  can  go  and  tell  it  what  language  the  column  is  in  and  what  stemming  you  want  and  what  tokenization  you  want.   JMP  will  do  that  same  collapsing  of  different  conjugation  of  words  and  things  like  that  into  a  single  form.   That  same  technology  is  the  technology  that  we're  using  within  JMP  search  to  help  it  to  work  in  whatever  display  language  you  happen  to  use  JMP  in.

With  that,  we've  gone  through  JMP  search  for  data  tables,  statistical  tests,  and  visualization.   Again,  I  hope  that  JMP  search  will  help  you  if  you're  a  new  user  or  an  experienced  user,  to  either  find  new  things  or  re-find  things  that  you  knew  about  but  you  maybe  forgot  where  they  were,  and  to  use  JMP  to  help  you  to  get  your  job  done  quickly  and  easily.

Again,  that's  JMP  Search  under  Help,  Search  JMP,  and  it's  available  in  JMP  version  17.  Thank  you  very  much.