cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Using Column Values as Image Markers

Using Images as Markers in JMP Graphs adds subject context to visualizations and can result in increased engagement. You can create a Column of images in JMP by setting the Col Data Type to an expression then dragging those images into each row. After that, you can additionally indicate that the column is used for markers by selecting Use for Marker from the Col menu.

Alternatively, you can use a character or numeric column as the marker.

If you want to display both an image and other Column value in your graph, as shown here, toggle the "Use for Marker" settings in your images Column and give each Column value, that you want to display, the "Label" role. Right-click the Column Panel and select Label.

Here I have the polygon shape Column, the images Column, set to Marker. In Graph Builder once I roll over the data point, I'll select the pin in the upper right. The next step is right click that Image Marker and toggle on Tag Line. You can drag them around to clear other blocked data points and add as many as you need to communicate your point. This is helpful if you want to highlight select data points and their values. To resize the markers, right-click the graph, and choose Graph then choose your desired Marker Size.

version 1

Using Images as Markers in JMP Graphs adds subject context to visualizations and can result in increased engagement. You can create a Column of images in JMP by setting the Col Data Type to an expression then dragging those images into each row. After that, you can additionally indicate this column to use for markers by selecting Use for Marker from the Col menu. This feature prevents the need to look at a marker color and refer to the legend for its meaning, which is particularly helpful with data that contains many levels.

If you use a character or numeric column as the marker, the data value is used for the marker, but you will not see the image.

If you want to display both an image and other Column value in your graph, like shown here, you would need to toggle "Use for Marker" in your images Column and additionally, set each Column value you want to display to a Label. Right-click the Column Panel and select Label.

Here I have the polygon shape Column set to Marker. In Graph Builder once I roll over the data point, I'll select the pin in the upper right. The next step is right click that Image Marker and toggle on Tag Line. You can drag them around to clear other blocked data points and add as many as you need to communicate your point. This is helpful if you want to highlight select data points and their values. To resize the markers, right-click the graph, and choose Graph then choose your desired Marker Size.

Recommended Articles