cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Right-click to change Group font and font size

How is it possible to change the Font setting of Y Group in graph builder?

I'm using JMP Pro 14.1

It is not possible to right-click to change those as with e.g the x-axis.

The Group font and font size are controlled by the "Text" size as specified in the Preferences for JMP.  They are not controlled as an individual graph by graph setting.

File --  Preferences -- Fonts 

It would be nice to be able to control the fonts by right-clicking

12 Comments
gerd
Level V

I agree that there could be better options to handle this in Graph Builder. The following wish goes in the same direction and might be of interest to you:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/Font-Table-in-Graph-Builder-to-quickly-change-Font-settin...

mvanderaa1
Level IV

I see the status is still set to "new" for this item, any reason why it's not approved for implementation? The current behaviour is frustrating to work with and the earliest community posts are almost 10 years old.

hogi
Level XI

I guess most of us want to reduce the font size - to give the plots more room:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Reduce-font-size-for-wrapped-graph-builder-headings/m-p/679...

The ultimate step: remove the titles (and get the info via hover label)
https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/remove-subplot-titles/m-p/554413

mvanderaa1
Level IV

@hogi I don't think that's the point here. We want to be able to change the font size within the plot using right mouse click, in the same way the axes labels and graph title work. Right now it's only linked to the "Text" font in the general JMP settings, which in turn messes up everything in other locations in JMP when changed.

hogi
Level XI

Ok, let's split the "wishes" :)

Wish for the option to delete GraphBuilderGroupBoxes:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/function-to-delete-subplot-titles-orany-GraphBuilderGroup...

Please don't restrict the wish here to Y Group.

Same topic for X group and the indivdual subplot titles when using "wrap" (GraphBuilderGroupBoxes in general)

Status changed to: Acknowledged

@vestlink @hogi @mvanderaa1 @gerd - Hi all, thank you for submitting this request and providing lots of information! Sorry for the wait, but your request has been captured and is being reviewed (along with the related wishes you mentioned).  Let me know if you have any questions! 

Status changed to: Investigating

TimboK
Level II

JMP16 Pro

I agree that this has been frustrating and one of the main reasons our group has not widely implemented JMP for visualization.  For instance, the seeming inability to change the size of the fonts in the first two images below means that using the graphs in presentations requires extra steps to make the labels viewable.  We have to make text boxes with legible sized fonts to paste over each graphs from JMP that we would like to use.  Maybe this oversight will have been fixed in JMP17?

JMP Level Text Font Size Ex.png

hogi
Level XI

Hi @TimboK .

Thanks for supporting this wish :)

On the other hand, the benefit of Jmp is so big that your company could think about switching to Jmp before the issue is fixed.

Something like 

If(Arg(Arg(Get Preferences( text font ),1),2)<14,
Preferences( text font("Segoe UI", 14) ),Preferences( text font("Segoe UI", 9) ))

would allow your company to benefit from the power of Jmp in the meantime.

hogi_0-1668708522257.png   →    hogi_2-1668708725775.png

TimboK
Level II

Hi Hogi:

As this feature request still seems highly requested but to my knowledge still unaddressed, may I ask a brief follow up from you since you provided a potential scripting solution?

Would you be willing to post the entire script that you used to generate the graph on the right above with the larger Level fonts?  I don't know enough yet about JSL to know where in my Graph Builder script to put the text you posted above to get it to work.  Alternatively, I have included script and an image for a current graph of interest where I'd like to change the Level Title ("State") and the Levels ("Fed" or "Fasted") to a larger, more legible font (highlighted in Blue).

Graph Builder(
Size( 681, 487 ),
Show Control Panel( 0 ),
Variables( X( :Genotype ), Y( :FS ), Group X( :State ) ),
Elements(
Points( X, Y, Legend( 19 ) ),
Box Plot( X, Y, Legend( 20 ) ),
Line Of Fit( X, Y, Legend( 23 ), F Test( 1 ) ),
Line( X, Y, Legend( 24 ) )
),
SendToReport(
Dispatch(
{},
"Graph Builder",
OutlineBox,
{Set Title( "Echo Vars by Genotype and State" ),
Image Export Display( Normal )}
),
Dispatch(
{},
"FS",
ScaleBox,
{Min( 13.5155011019128 ), Max( 66.0746788332728 ), Inc( 10 ),
Minor Ticks( 1 )}
),
Dispatch(
{},
"graph title",
TextEditBox,
{Set Text( "Fractional Shortening as a function of Genotype" )}
),
Dispatch( {}, "", GraphBuilderComponentBox( 11 ), {Select} )
)
);

Screenshot 2023-09-22 112421.png