cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Migrate to new JSL code editor

While the code editor in JMP works it is time to upgrade to a modern and feature rich code platform like visual studio Code or Eclipse. These will have better autocomplete, Github versioning, mass rename of a variables over multiple code files etc.

5 Comments
guillaumebugnon
Level V

Hi pauldeen,

Just find an extension for visual studio code here from predictum.com (a JMP partner) : https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VinceFaller.jmp-scripting

I haven't tried it yet.

Guillaume

guillaumebugnon
Level V

Just install and try @vince_faller VsCode extension : really nice one.

Françoise
Level V

bjr,

compliqué à installer

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Acknowledged

pauldeen
Level VI

@mia_stephens Can you share any progress on this?

I love the the VSCode extension, it is really good and it should probably be the way forward. However the JMP side of the integration could use a little work to make the experience smoother:

1. When I hit escape within JMP it ends the link to VSCode in such a way that I have to restart JMP to be able to run scripts again. I had to rewrite my brain to no longer use escape to deselect in tables.

2. The log in JMP is no longer usable when running code from VSCode which eliminates all the recent additions to JMP that you could normally use to steal code (like the code to create a column or update a table). It also make debugging harder as the output available in VSCode doesn't usually include the location where the script breaks.

3. Typing in JMP when VSCode link is active becomes near impossible, so quickly testing a bit of code...making some changes in the table and testing it again becomes hard.

4. Adding in the link to the scripting index would be really nice to see working examples of functions.