cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Include random effects in forward stepwise parameter selection

Many DOE's need to be peformed over several days so considering and separation of random time variation in DOE analysis is an issue. As stated by Goos & Jones Randomized blocks in DOE are very useful to absorb random variation so fixed effects can be precisely estimated.

However in the JMP forward stepwise parameter selection module random effects can't be included; all blocks, also random time effect blocks, need to be treated as fixed effects. In forward selection it would be a major imporvement to also allow random effects so the old cumbersome backward selection can be avoided.

9 Comments
JesperJohansen
Level IV

Also allowing random effects in the Fit All Possible Models feature would be very desirable.

Ryan_Gilmore
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived
We are archiving this request. If this is still important please comment with additional details and we will reopen. Thank you!
frankderuyck
Level VI

Yes still important to know how to handle random effects (random block, whole plot..) in the stepwise regression and also in generalized regression. How is a split plot DOE now analysed with generalized regression?

JesperJohansen
Level IV

I still think it is important.

I dont know what additional details are needed?

Currently, in Fit Model, the Stepwise/Fit All Possible Models features do not allow models with random effects. It would be great if it did.

frankderuyck
Level VI

Generalized regression is a great tool and very useful for analysing DOE! Maybe it is difficult to handle random effects/split plots with shrinkage methods, if so is there a way to handle this with generalized regression?

Status changed to: Acknowledged

@frankderuyck Thank you for your response! I have changed the status back to 'Acknowledged'.  We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.  No further details are needed at this time. 

mia_stephens
Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

Status changed to: We like it! (in the queue)

@frankderuyck - We have reviewed your request and think it will be a great addition to JMP. This request is in the queue of items to work on in a future release.

datadad
Level III

Agree. Design expert can do this. JMP is behind