cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Exclude and / or hide a single cell rather than a full row.

Our company is now using automated scripts in JMP connecting to our Laboratory management system, LIMS, to pull data for SQC reports.  These need to be reviewed for 'bad data' prior to sending to customers.  Samples undergo multiple tests which need to be arranged in columns - 1 row per sample.  Most of the 'bad data' relates to a single test (maybe a typo or a measurement special cause) so we don't want to exclude the whole suite of testing just to remove that single point.

JMP's row structure to data currently means the only way this is possible is to exclude values in column properties or delete the value from the cell.  

5 Comments
RebeccaHoughlnd
Level I

Are there any plans to include this functionality? Alternatively, is there a good community add-in for this feature?

Ake
Level III

Recently saw the below very inspiring presentation. The Nukem script removes individual cell values. Possibly irreversible though, I havent tried it yet. 

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discovery-Summit-Americas-2022/Stay-in-the-Flow-With-Custom-Scripts-and...

hogi
Level XI

@shampton82 approach is quite comfortable:
open a graph builder with a a Column switcher, select a column, mark some outlier and:

Names Default To Here(1);
dt=Current Data Table();
cnames = Current Report()[listboxbox( 1 )] << get selected;
rowindex = dt << Get Selected Rows;
dt[rowindex, cnames] = .;

But there is a huge difference between deleting an entry and excluding it from an analysis.

hogi
Level XI

seems to be a duplicate of a wish from 2019: 

Hide and Exclude individual cell 

The other wish did not get rejected yet.

A suggestion by @mia_stephens:

One currently available option is to specify suspect values for a column as missing by using the Missing Value Codes column property. Interesting idea to add this as a right-click option from a graph or cell. 

A quite nice trick - but on the other hand : super-dangerous!

- ALL cells with the specified values will be treated as missing! 

...and a bit fragile: one has to specify the exact value. If the data is changed, the Missing value code has to be adjusted.

Stats_Like_Jazz
Level II

This function would be wonderful!

I solve this with Name Selection in Column, making columns for every specific response.

However, that means I end up with potentially many columns with 1/0 that are then used in local filters.

Not a pretty solution but it works.