cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Set background color in column header/column names

Often I work with tables that have many columns. Scrolling back and forth to get to a certain area of the table can be inefficient if I have to stop periodcially to see where I'm at and then try to remember if I've gone too far or not far enough.

It would be wonderful to be able to assign colors to the background of column names. This way I can color-code sections of the table and quickly find what I want. Being able to assign a color to a group of columns would also be useful. It would be super great if the colors would also appear in the column window on the left also.

Thanks much and keep up the great work.

7 Comments
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

You can already do that 

Names default to here(1);
dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");
Column(dt, "height") << Color Cells( "Red" );

Or click a column header to select the whole column and right click the values.  Go to color cells and choose your color. 

I like to do this with column groups and have entire groups be a color.  

Names default to here(1);
dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Semiconductor Capability.jmp");
cols = dt << Get Column Group("Processes");
For(i=1, i<=nitems(cols), i++, 
	cols[i] << Color Cells("Light Blue");
);

scott1588
Level III
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the response.

My desire here is to color just the headers, not the cells. I do use cell colors for specific cells, but for me coloring all the cells in a column group is too much.

Right now, I also use a blank column with the cells colored in to delineate boundaries between groups of columns but that’s kind of clunky.
nao
Level IV
Plus one Kudos to the idea of coloring the Column HEADERS, because I often use Value Colors and Color Gradient Column Properties for easily identifying outliers, etc.
StarfruitBob
Level VI

+1 for column headers.

Status changed to: Acknowledged

Hi @scott1588, thank you for your suggestion! We have captured your request and will take it under consideration.

hogi
Level XI

I just found this wish - seems that I submitted a duplicate:

make columns more distinct 

important add-on: same color also for the entry in the list on the left:

hogi_0-1670619910294.png

SamGardner
Staff
Status changed to: Duplicate

I am marking this as a duplicate and will use https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/make-columns-more-distinct/idi-p/513719 to track this on the Community.  Thanks for the ideas!