This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.
Highlighted
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Spaces for Regional JMP User Groups in the JMP User Community

As we expand the JMP User Community to support regional JMP User Groups we need your help as user group leaders to understand what you need in an online community for your regional group.

Some questions to get this conversation going:

• What do regional JMP User Groups need in a web space?
  • What kinds of discussions/conversations are appropriate in a regional user group space, and which should be directed to the larger community?
-Jeff
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
martin_owen
Visitor

Re: Spaces for Regional JMP User Groups in the JMP User Community

We would find a regional user group space particularly useful for canvassing opinion on activities/locations/contributions for our next meeting. I guess once we have a formalised agenda it may be useful to share this and hear from other groups on topics /meeting highlights.

Highlighted
rakhi_baj
Level I

Agreed. It would also be useful to share feedback from the User Group meetings? We have one in Dublin today and I will post general feedback on the meeting if people are interested. 

Highlighted
sjgardner1
Visitor

• Membership lists
  • Attendance records
  • Posting/sharing of meeting agendas and materials before and after meetings
  • Meeting regisration tools (invitations, sign-ups, confirmations, fee collection, ...)
Highlighted

In addition to memberships lists and presentations from presenters (papers, etc.), Regional UGs should explore ways to view or participate in meetings by other UGs. Twice the Mid-Atlantic JMP Users Group (MAJUG) held successful virtual meetings where members (physically unable to be on-site) could attend via WebEx or Adobe Connect.

The MAJUG leadership intends to continue (and expand) this form for future meetings. That is something other UGs should consider doing, too.

Highlighted
David_Burnham
Super User

Things we need:

• Ability to create discussions
  • Ability to create "blog" style entries
  • Ability to provide notifications
  • Ability to canvas opinion (polls)
  • Ability to support special interest groups
  • Ability to share documents

Why we need them:

• Online discussions are an extension of discussions that occur at user group meetings.  They allow us to maintain momentum between meetings.  They encourage people to engage.  They add value to the user group.

• Blog style entries encourage information sharing (discussions tend to be when you want to ask a question, whereas blogs are an opportunity to share insights and aha moments).  They are also a way for the steering group to maintain some momentum when things are going quiet.

• Notifications - the core requirement to keep members notified of up-coming events

• Canvassing opinion - we need to be able to capture the needs of the user group community (not just those present at any one meeting)

• People have pet topics.  If we can focus on these we can generate more participation and real value

• Sharing documents - this may be to augment discussions or special interest groups or user group management

Why not use the existing online resources - discussion forums and file exhange etc.

• Who is "MS"?  Do I need to say more?  MS is the biggest contributor to the discussion forums.  I have no idea who he/she is, what industry they work in etc.  Do I need to know this?  Well maybe not, just like I can have friends on Facebook who I have never met.  But I would suggest the role of a user group is to help people get to know people for real.  And the role of the online user community is to be an extension of the user group.

-Dave
Highlighted
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I believe that we can support all of these options well in the JMP User Community.

• Discussions - Well, we're seeing how that works right here.

• Blogs - Each space or group can have a blog. I'll turn it on in this group and post a blog entry so you can see.

• Notifications - Community members choose how to receive their communications. Some of you may get an email every time something is posted in this group, others may only see the notifications when they log into the community. We can also post Announcements which will be emailed to all members of the group automatically. I think you'll find the style that works best for your group.

• Polls - They are supported here as well. Feel free to create a poll in this group to see what they look like.

• Special Interest Groups - I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for here. If you want a sub-group, well, we don't have that, but with tagging and categories, you can make content easy to find.

• Sharing documents - You can attach documents to posts and some file types have inline viewers (PowerPoint, Word, Excel and PDF for sure).

One feature that you didn't mention but that I think is important is the ability to make connections in the community. You can send a direct message to anyone in the community (try it, hover over a name and you'll see a "Send Message" option in a pop-up window). If community members follow each other then more of their profiles are shared and you can learn who MS is and where he/she works.

-Jeff

-Jeff