cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
JMP and MATLAB White Paper Sample Scripts

2018-04-06 Added a .zip file, which includes the journal, data sets and samples scripts, which can be run directly from JMP with a version of MATLAB installed.

These sample files are the .jsl and .m files referenced in the white paper: JMP and MATLAB Info Kit.

Abstract:

Extensibility is one of the hallmarks of JMP. Beginning with JMP 11, the provisions exist for integrating JMP with MATLAB. From JMP Scripting Language (JSL), you can send data from JMP to MATLAB, execute MATLAB functions, and return results from MATLAB to JMP for further analysis and visualization. This paper presents three case studies that apply this functionality. The examples shown illustrate functionality where JMP and MATLAB have features that do not overlap. In the first case, a MATLAB program is executed to transform data from the time to frequency domain and return the results to JMP. The second example shows how to design an experiment in JMP using the Custom Designer, run trials of a simulation model in MATLAB, and then return results for analysis and profiling in JMP. The third case uses a genetic algorithm in MATLAB to optimize a multidimensional objective space interactively from JMP.

Get the white paper here.

Comments
AY

Hi @Daniel_Valente 

I am a beginner user of JMP. I want to use Matlab and JMP together and this post is really a great post for a beginner like me. 

But now I'm stuck with JMP script. I have no problem to run this code in Matlab. But when I put this code inside JMP, I got error.

Here is the code:

for i = 1:length(files)-2
system(sprintf('"C:\\Program Files\\WinZip\\wzunzip" -d -o "%s" "%s" "*.csv"',fullfile(merlin_pathname,'\ZipFiles',files(i+2).name),fullfile(merlin_pathname,'Unzipped')));
end

The idea is I wanted to unzip certain files using external software from Matlab. So we need to give the path of that external software which is here the path is "C:\\Program Files\\WinZip\\wzunzip" . This code have no error if run in matlab. but somehow, when i run in JMP script, seems like the quotation mark (" ") there give us the problem. 

Another simple example
MATLAB Submit (" winzipPath = "C:\\Program Files\\WinZip\\wzunzip" ");

It will detect up till " winzipPath = " only. After that quotation mark it wont detect this C:\\Program Files\\WinZip\\wzunzip. 

Sorry for very long explanation. Hope you understand my question and I really appreciate if you can help me to find solution for this. 

Thank you

You may have to espace the quotes.

"path=\!"path/to/application\!""

Notice the \!" and \!".

Give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

AY

hey it work!! thank you so much @Daniel_Valente .

Aside from the answer you gave, which is this \!"...\!"

I also found another solution to this problem where we also can use this \[...]\ and you use the Submit command to run it. =)

Thanks again! 

Link to the white paper is now broken

Thank you, it is now fixed.

Not really.  The link labeled "Get the white paper here" still leads to an "Oops ... Sorry, Page Not Found" message https://www.jmp.com/blind/whitepapers/wp_jmp_matlab_106667.pdf

Hi @DunnTiger764. (@Larry_LaRusso from JMP here.) I'm helping @Daniel_Valente look into this issue. In the meantime, I'm attaching the PDF to this article. See if you can download it and let me know if you have any trouble. Thanks