cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Example p'-prime chart script (Constructing p'-charts or Laney p-charts)
Byron_JMP
Staff

Constructing p'-charts or Laney p-charts in JMP

The attached script will calculate the control chart sigma and generate a p-chart with the calculated sigma. The p-chart platform in JMP has a default 3 sigma set in the launch dialog. In certain cases sigma of 3 is too restrictive and larger values of sigma are prefered. The p'-chart is used for cases where the proportion of defects is low, because the denominator is very large relative to the number of defects, the control limits become very narrow and everything is out of control. The p'-charts have scaled control limits, Instead of assuming sigma =1 (KSigma=3) it is calculated from the data. This chart type uses a larger value that comes from an estimate of Sigma z, which results in wider control limits.

This script was written to calculate sigma following the same method of Laney p-charts. Other p'-chart calculators that I've seen in the past add additional columns to the data table for calculations. I used matrix functions in this script to keep the original data table tidy (the script also runs just a little faster with larger data sets.)

Background links:

Quality Digest Magazine

http://www.sixsigmatraining.org/downloads/laney-p-prime-chart.pdf

3/23/17 - Script Revision

I updated the script runs in JMP 12 and 13. I expect that it will run in earlier versions.

The dialog and report are simpler and cleaner.

I'm always learning new and better ways to write JSL, and often I look back at my old scripts, and wonder how they could have possibly worked in the first place. 

Also, Laura added a nice example table in the discussion board. https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Laney-P-and-U-charts-in-JMP/m-p/12249#M11676

Comments
Iram

@Byron_JMP  Is it possible find Cpk for the Laney P chart?

Byron_JMP

the key statistic for p' charts is the z-sigma.  For CPK, just assign a spec limit to the column of interest and run a distribution.  Both CPK and PPK are presented in the report along with nonconformance, which is almost better IMHO

@Byron_JMP I am using your script and it is working well. However, I would like to set up only the UCL limit and remove the LCL limit from the control chart.

Do you know if there is a way to make this?

Thanks a lot for your reply,

Sebastien

Byron_JMP

I think I wrote this about 5 years ago, and I used the old control chart platform so I don't have a good way to leave off the lower limit easily.

Try this:

Make the p' chart with the script

From the Control Chart Red Triangle Menu, select Save Limits >. In Column

Analyze>Quality and Process>Control Charts> P chart.

In this control chart builder dialog, under the Limits outline bar, unselect lower limit

This works in JMPv16, but in v17 there p' and u' charts will be built in, so this will be super easy.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.41.00 PM.png