cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
A Script Box to Convert Pasted Lists into Comma Separated Format
jay_holavarri
Level III

I use a custom JMP interface to pull data from a database with the Open Database command. It is a common problem with query tools that you have a list of something in a data table or spreadsheet (part id's, for example) but are required to convert it into a comma separated list (along with the addition of single quotes) to work with an SQL statement.

I could not find a standard JMP box that would do what I wanted, and I wound up using the Script Box. The intent of that box is, of course, to run scripts, but it automatically creates a comma separated list with the << Get Lines message. The function is shown below, and the attached script shows it in action. There are probably other uses for converting a pasted list like this.

fn_scriptBox = Function( {_vv}, //formats the script box output for SQL

_yy = _vv << Get Lines;

_zz = "'";

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( _yy ), i++,

_zz ||= _yy || "','"

);

_zz = Left( _zz, Length( _zz ) - 2 );

);

11156_scriptbox_paste_SQL.jpg

Comments

The concat items() function is a nifty way to take lists and turn them into strings as well.  When I was writing code for SQL injection I found it to be faster than looping.

11887_Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 5.44.44 PM.png

It took me 'til now to realize you were giving me a useful suggestion I could drop right into this script. I can indeed simplify the script with Concat Items.

From this:

_yy = _vv << Get Lines;

_zz = "'";

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( _yy ), i++,

_zz ||= _yy || "','"

);

_zz = Left( _zz, Length( _zz ) - 2 );

);

//end fn_scriptbox

To this:

_yy = _vv << Get Lines;

_zz = "'" || Concat Items (_yy, "','") || "'";

);

Thanks Nate. I didn't test whether it was faster, but I believe you. I'll see if I can figure out how to rev this little example.

jh