cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Episode 5 (April 13, 2020)

Segment Description Who's On Air

Welcome

The Monologue

@julian 

Featured Program

The JMP Workflow 

In this episode of Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Using JMP, Systems Engineer Mike Anderson introduces the 4-step JMP Workflow, an easy way to create and understand JMP reports. The process is simple, but powerful. Step 1 – Make a report. Step 2 – Look at the graph; are you seeing what you want to share within five seconds? Step 3 – Ask questions about what you see. Step 4 – Push the “Answer Button.” Using data from Futurama, one of his favorite shows, Mike demonstrates how easy, and effective, the 4-step JMP workflow can be.

@MikeD_Anderson 
Tip of the Day

New Formula Columns 

Not all graphs are created equal, and some can be downright painful to view or impossible to understand. In today’s JMP On Air Tip of the Day, Mary and Pete show you how to take your visualizations to the next level. Learn how to quickly create formula columns (and clean up unwieldy date/time labels) in JMP without ever leaving the data table. In just a few clicks, you’ll discover how to add new, calculated columns, and automatically create and use the resulting formulas for future analysis.

@Peter_Hersh 

@MaryLoveless 

Meet a JMP Developer

Nascif Abousalh-Neto 

In this installment of Meet the Developer, Anne Milley interviews JMP Senior Software Developer Nascif Abousalh-Neto. Nascif is part of the JMP data visualization team, where he combines his 20 years of experience in development with his two passions: data visualization and the pursuit of quality. In this interview, you’ll learn more about JMP model deployment and, through a series of examples, hear firsthand how Nascif’s code can help enhance and advance your existing visualizations though the use of one of JMP’s latest visualization tools - graphlets.

@nascif_jmp 

@anne_milley 

Resource Spotlight

JMP Public 

In today’s Resource Spotlight, you’ll learn more about JMP Public, an online platform where users can share JMP visualizations and discoveries with the world. In addition to a brief overview, Developer Michael Goff shows us some of JMP Public’s coolest features, including how to personalize your dashboard and share your posts with your LinkedIn connections. Michael concludes his tour of JMP Public with a visualization of songs his iPhone hears, giving us a glimpse of his expansive musical tastes. Spoiler Alert: Maroon 5 tops the list!

@Michael_Goff 
Featured Program

Reason 2: Process Understanding 

Senior Systems Engineer Phil Kay introduces Process Understanding as reason #2 in his series of talks titled Why DOE? A self-professed lover of Design of Experiments, Phil’s series attempts to explain the science behind DOE and help demystify the most common terms and concepts that can sometimes derail a new practitioner’s efforts. In this episode, Phil reviews the ground he covered in part one of the series, dives deeper the experimental efforts he introduced in episode one, before concluding with an in-depth discussion of how to use the data from DOE to better understand our process so we can learn from any setting within our possibility space – not just the ones that we’ve actually tested.

@Phil_Kay 
Mindful Moment

Mindful Movement 

Take a break to move with intention, connecting movement to breath. 

@arati_mejdal 
JMP in Action

The Tools Menu 

In this installment of JMP in action, Solutions Engineer Andrea Coombs introduces the JMP Tools menu and JMP Toolbar. After demonstrating how to use the Selection tool to highlight specific data points and copy and paste reports from JMP into a PowerPoint presentation, Andrea also show us how to use Tools to further modify reports. Discover the “Grabber” tool, which can adjust values and resize your graph axis; the “Magnifying Glass,” which zooms in or out on your data; the “Lasso,” which allows you to  select individual data points; the “Brush,”, to select multiple points; and the “Crosshairs” to zero in on a point and get detailed information. Finally, Andrea shows us how to use JMP Tools to organize your JMP Journals, including how to add text items, annotate your journal or add shapes to spotlight important parts of your data.

@andreacoombs1 
Have You Tried

Compare Data Tables 

Ryan Dewitt shows you how to use the JMP Compare Data Tables function in JMP to highlight differences in two data tables. Using the “Compare Data Table” command allows you to select which items you want to compare and how to show you the differences. Ryan uses fishing data to demonstrate how JMP can easily create a Difference Summary and Difference Plot to clearly display differences between the reports, including what rows match, rows that may have been added or removed, or if no differences were noted.

@ryandewitt 

Closing The Last 5 @julian 
Comments

OK @julian - you need to tell us about the guitar & particularly the small-body upright bass in the background!

julian

Hi @andersonmj2 -- There might be some way to incorporate them into an upcoming show! The guitar is an Ibanez Talman, originally my brother's, and what's on the other side is actually my electric cello, a Ned Steinberger CR. It's a wonderful instrument. I have a few other 6-string guitars, an 8-string baritone guitar, an electric violin, two pianos (yamaha s90 stage piano and a Boston upright), 12" rope tuned djembe, an electric drum kit, and a Yamaha saxophone I am downright horrible at (it's on my list to get lessons). Sounds like this segment has written itself: "I own too many instruments."