cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Episode 22 (Friday, May 29, 2020)

Segment Description Who's On Air

Welcome

Monologue: Dinner Table Stats - The Central Limit Theorem 

@julian

Featured Program

Meet the Author: David Spiegelhalter

In this episode of JMP On Air’s Meet the Author, Anne Milley interviews Sir David Spiegelhalter. A good friend of JMP, and the keynote presenter at the JMP Discovery Summit (Munich) in Spring of 2020, David Spiegelhalter discusses his new book, The Art of Statistics: Learning from Data. Spiegelhalter says the book shows us how to extract knowledge from raw data, think critically (like a statistician) and explains why a basic grasp of statistical literacy is more important than ever if we hope to separate fact from fiction. Given the current circumstances in the world, Spiegelhalter, an expert in uncertainty and risk, is in high demand these days. While we’re seeing numbers and statistics related to the current pandemic, Spiegelhalter cautions us against taking statistics at face value, encouraging us to look deeper at the numbers. Understanding the context around the numbers, Spiegelhalter insists, and the visualization of data are both critical to telling the story behind the numbers.

@julian
Tip of the Day

Final Tip

In the final JMP Tip of the Day of Season One, Pete and Mary have one simple, but very important tip: “open JMP every day.” We all know how valuable JMP is to us professionally, but Mary and Pete remind us how valuable JMP can be for you in your personal life as well. Pete and Mary encourage you to use JMP for things like planning your vacation, analyzing your workout data, and anything else you can think of that will make your life easier.

@Peter_Hersh
Ask the Data Doctor

Thinking Like a Data Doctor Yourself

The final episode of Ask the Data Doctor is less about solving a concrete problem and more about the concept of how to solve problems. Brady Brady, AKA The Data Doctor, says the key to answering the question, “How do I get from Point A to Point B,” is often knowing something about Point B. What do you want to do with the data? What “data shape” are you dealing with and what data types will JMP need to perform your analysis? What are some inputs, outputs, platforms and operations that could get you there?  In this session, Brady walks us through the steps he takes to diagnose and cure data problems so that we can learn to think like Data Doctors ourselves.

@brady_brady
Featured Program

The last things I wish someone had told me when I started using JMP

In his final installment of Things I Wished I Knew When I Started Using JMP, Systems Engineer Mike Anderson reveals the secrets of JMP Masters. Mike starts the episode sharing the one common thread among the most proficient JMP users: They. Save. Their. Work! By “save their work,” Mike means they use the automatic code generation capabilities in JMP. This simple action lets users recreate their analyses in their current data set and allows them to rerun the analysis with new or updated data. Finally, Mike shares a little about special keys, in particular the broadcast key. Pressing these special keys allows you to do things like standardize graphs, close all the Outline Items (those title boxes with the gray arrows next to them), export multiple fit equations into a single column in the data table, or even turn all the summary statistics for all the subgroups in a report into a single data table. In short, you’ll be able to increase your efficiency in all kinds of unexpected ways.

@MikeD_Anderson
Mindful Moment

Connecting breath to movement

Watch the breath, and let the breath lead the movement

@arati_mejdal
JMP in Action

Annotating Control Charts

Do you need to annotate control charts with known events? In this segment, JMP Systems Engineer Byron Wingerd shows you how to “make your control charts rock.” Follow along as Byron uses JMP to demonstrate how to create scripts that can be added to control chart graphs that facilitate drawing event lines and adding comments to graphs. Along the way, Byron will also show you multiple ways to annotate points in your control chart to make sure you’re properly highlighting things in your data that you want to stand out.

@Byron_JMP
Help

Online Resources for Learning More

In this episode of Help!, Ross Metusalem looks at the plethora of online resources available for anyone interested in learning how to use (or use better!) JMP. Ross shows us how to navigate from the JMP home page to some of JMP’s most popular resources. During the session, Ross will show you valuable landing pages like the JMP Learning Library, the Mastering JMP webinar series, and the Statistical Knowledge Portal.

@Ross_Metusalem
Closing The Last 5 @julian 
Comments

I'm Pate now?  Sounds good.

@Peter_Hersh It's corrected now.