cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Challenge 2

jmp-challenge-v2.pngThis month’s challenge is back to basics – finding prime numbers.

I am interested in two functions:

1. getPrimes(n,t) – where n is a positive integer and t can be one of two values. If it is 1 getPrimes returns the first n primes. If it is 2 getPrimes will return all primes less than or equal to n. You can assume the value of n will not exceed 1e8.
  2. isPrime(vec) – where vec is a nRow row, 1 column matrix of integer values no greater than 4e14. It is to return a matrix of 1’s and 0’s where vec[i] = 1 indicates the ith element of vec is prime and 0 it is not prime. The input test vector will contain between 100 and 1000 elements (but the function should be able to accepts larger or smaller vectors).

Examples:

getPrimes(10,1) would return [2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29]

getPrimes(10,2) would return [2,3,5,7]

isPrime([-1,0,2,4,5]) would return [0,0,1,0,1]

Scoring: 4 points for each function. 3, 2, and 1 point for the fastest solution (awarded separately for each function). 3 points if your solution is as fast or faster than the fastest submitted by a staff member.

Submission deadline is Friday. May 15, 11:59 pm Eastern Time.

Last Modified: Dec 21, 2023 1:13 PM
Comments
landon
Super User (Alumni)

Thanks Don for the fun challenge. I remember when you were at our JMP Day event a few years back we did something similar to Challenge 1.

Cheers, Landon

DonMcCormack
Staff

@landon I remember it, too and it definitely influenced the first challenge. 

MathStatChem
Level VI

for getPrimes(), the "assume  n will not exceed 1e8", is the for both t=1 and t=2?  I ask because I think finding the first 100 million primes might be a stretch for JMP.

DonMcCormack
Staff

@MathStatChem - yes, the limit is for both t=1 and t=2 is 1e8. The value I ultimately use for testing will depend on how quickly the submitted scripts run.

MathStatChem
Level VI

Nice website to use to check your results:  https://primes.utm.edu/nthprime/index.php

DavidLeber
Level III

How exactly do we post a solution? Just as a comment to this post?

DonMcCormack
Staff

@DavidLeber it's best if you send me the solution via email or private message on the Community. After the 15th, I'll have another post talking about the solutions.