cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
smencia
Staff
Why did we build JMP Public?

I've created an interactive visualization on JMP Public about Popular Vinyl. Check it out!I've created an interactive visualization on JMP Public about Popular Vinyl. Check it out!

Have you seen JMP Public? It is an online platform that allows bloggers, authors, user community members and many more to publicly share their interesting findings and interactive visualizations. JMP Public offers the visual interactivity of JMP to explore your data, and lets you point to all of your visualizations from one location. You can easily update reports and visualizations. You can even extend the functionality of JMP Public reports to other locations – embed and interact with your JMP Public reports in web pages, blogs, social media posts and more.

For example, I am very interested in music, specifically the recent surge in vinyl sales. Take a look at this visualization that shows the top three vinyl sold in each state during 2016.

Check out the full report on JMP Public: Popular Vinyl

I am the user experience designer for JMP. I work on all user experience areas of JMP and JMP Public. That includes the user interface of JMP Public, as well as the publishing interface in JMP itself. I will keep working on both to make sure we are giving you all the best user experience possible. But meanwhile, I wanted to explain why we created JMP Public.

Visual and Interactive Matters

If you have ever analyzed some data in JMP and created thoughtful visualizations to support your analysis only to export your findings as a static image, losing all the wonderful interactivity of your visualizations, then you can see why we created JMP Public. With advances in technology, a person’s average attention span has gotten shorter and shorter. People tend to be visual and hands-on learners. Plain text no longer suffices, and imagery has gotten more important – more importantly, interactive imagery.

JMP is known for its powerful statistics and dynamic data visualizations. These visualizations are ideal for understanding complex relationships and digging deeper into the data. Currently in JMP when you are ready to share your results, you have several different options. You can save data tables as text files, SAS data sets, Excel files and other formats. You can save reports as interactive HTML, Adobe Flash files and PowerPoint. You can email reports and data tables. You can save analyses as scripts, create JMP journals or assemble projects. You can even save log windows.

Plus, with the power of JMP in the background, JMP Public allows you to include your local data filters in reports for dynamic and interactive visualizations and the ability to recalculate results based on different conditions.  

No Need to Send Files

While all of these are great options for sharing your results from JMP, none of them, aside from interactive HMTL, are interactive, and each requires sending external files. JMP Public changes this, offering a robust sharing option that lets you quickly publish and share interactive visualizations without sending files. Sharing your findings is much easier with the ability to send a quick link via email, share on social media and embed interactive reports in blogs or other websites.

The JMP development team has been working hard to tackle the challenges expressed by JMP users to bring you a new product that enhances the way you share your discoveries. We are very excited for our users to start using JMP Public with the JMP 14.2 release. We continue to make improvements to the product, adding more features to make it even more robust and user-friendly. Let me know what you think!

Last Modified: Nov 30, 2018 8:58 AM