Subscribe Bookmark
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

Visual Six Sigma: A practical approach to data analysis and process improvement

67155Do you want to discover new and useful knowledge in your data using interactive, dynamic graphical displays? Would you like to be able to make sound decisions faster by understanding the patterns of variation in your data and separating it into useful signal and random noise? You can, with the help of Visual Six Sigma: Making Data Analysis Lean, Second Edition!

What is Visual Six Sigma?

It is "a practical and pragmatic approach to data analysis and process improvement.... In the typical business environment of process improvement, people are looking for simple-to-use tools that can be used by everyone at all levels to rapidly explore and interpret data, and then use that understanding to drive improvement. By making these tools highly visual and engaging, we can accelerate the process of analysis and eliminate the need for advanced statistical analysis in all but the most complex of situation," wrote Andrew Ruddick, Andy Liddle and Malcolm Moore in a 2008 white paper.

Using the principles, concepts and detailed road map outlined in the book Visual Six Sigma – along with JMP – you can broaden and deepen data analysis and process improvement in your organization by making the tools intuitive and easy to use. Plus, the results are easy to interpret! You will be able to quickly see the important and useful patterns in your data – enabling you to improve processes, connect with customer needs and expectations, react to emerging market trends, and seize opportunities for growth.

This second edition incorporates ways to take advantage of developments that make the implementation of Visual Six Sigma even easier, further increasing the scope and efficiency of its application. The book was updated using JMP 12.2.0 (with detailed instructions and illustrative screenshots demonstrating the latest functionalities in JMP and JMP Pro). It also includes two new chapters: "Managing Data and Data Quality" and "Beyond 'Point and Click' with JMP."

Visual Six Sigma is a powerful way to help you focus on the relevant and important data you have and to use this data effectively. According to Ruddick, Liddle and Moore, visual approaches facilitate rapid exploration of the data to quickly find the " 'hot Xs,' the process inputs responsible for driving variation in product quality or associated with variation in product quality."

Now for some fun…

61985If you are among the first seven people to comment on this blog post describing your strategies for making data analysis lean in your organization, you could win a hardcover copy of Visual Six Sigma: Making Data Analysis Lean. (This is the first edition of the book – only seven of them are left!)

Be sure to enter your e-mail address when you write your comment so we can contact you if you are a winner. Only one book per commenter and for U.S. addresses only.

In addition, SAS is turning 40, and we're celebrating you, our users! Every Friday in July, we'll feature a special offer for SAS and JMP users. The discounts include specials on training, certification, books and SAS events.

How do you get these rewards?

• Follow us on Twitter @SASSoftware or Facebook.
  • Watch these social channels each Friday in July to see the special offers.
  • 19 Comments
    Community Member

Murali Sastry wrote:

Cindy, an eye-opening article on how simplicity in data analysis tools could provide rich dividends for organizations. This is true especially when an organization employs people from diverse backgrounds, 'pictures are definitely worth more than 1000 words'. Thanks for the blog to bring simplicity back to process improvement.

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you for your comment, it is very helpful. Are you interested in getting a copy of the first edition? If so, could you share strategies for making data analysis lean in an organization you have worked for or what you teach your students about this?

Community Member

Murali Sastry wrote:

Hi Cindy, I am very interested in the first edition copy. I am a student doing my MS degree in analytics. I have worked for organizations where lean and six sigma methodologies were implemented and the effort of problem definition, collecting data to solve a business problem and its analysis takes significant portion (in my estimate 60-70%) based on my past experience. The problem definition portion was very visual for communicating with stakeholders. But the data collection was physically exhausting depending on the magnitude of the problem and amount of statistically significant data volume needed to validate the existence of the problem.

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you Murali, this is very informative and helpful. You are one of the winners of the 1st edition copy of the Visual Six Sigma book! I will be contacting you direct for shipping information.

Community Member

Murali Sastry wrote:

Awesome. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Community Member

Philip Brown wrote:

Very interesting. I look forward to reading the book. I've always been a proponent of visual/interactive learning, and I can imagine this book coupled with JMP would be a formative combination. Thanks!

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you for your comment and glad to hear of your excitement regarding the new edition of the book. Are you interested in getting a copy of the first edition? If so, could you share strategies for making data analysis lean in an organization you have worked?

Community Member

Philip Brown wrote:

Sure! , I certainly would gladly accept a copy, and share strategies.

Community Member

Uday G wrote:

Are there any more first edition copies available Cindy

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Yes, I still have a few. If you could share strategies for making data analysis lean in your organization or in teaching and are in the U.S., I would love to send you a copy.

Community Member

Steven Remsen wrote:

My org has a JMP based LSS program heavily focused on JMP's DOE and hypothesis testing tools. Did I post fast enough for a copy? :)

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you for your comment and appreciate your excitement. You are in luck, because there are a few copies left. I will contact you direct for shipping information.

Community Member

JP wrote:

I use DOE in my research and teaching activites but i am from Sydney, Australia. Are there any copies left?

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you for your comment and we are happy to hear of your using DOE in your research. I do have a few copies left. Unfortunately, due to the cost of shipping outside of the U.S we had to restrict the free copies to the U.S. only. My apologies.

Community Member

Robert Vandervaart wrote:

Our organization has been using L6S with JMP since 2002. Today we have a strong CI organization that utilizes Data mining techniques to help develop efficient DOE's in our manufacturing plants. Some of the results are simply amazing.

Community Member

Robert Vandervaart wrote:

I should have added that one of the early consultants we used to start up our program was Mia Stephens, currently with JMP.

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you Mr. Vandervaart for your comment and for being a long-time JMP customer. Your input is very informative and helpful. You are one of the winners of the 1st edition copy of the Visual Six Sigma book! I will be contacting you direct for shipping information.

Community Member

Ajit Balakrishna wrote:

Even though we try to encourage setting up DOEs early in data gathering, we are not always successful. Very often, we end up having to post-analyze data collected in an "intuitively" structured manner, identifying key factors and then suggesting a DOE to confirm these factors. I'm always a bit concerned about bias in the data in these kinds of situations. The phrase "pragmatic and practical" makes me hopeful there will be some useful tips to apply here. So I would be interested in a copy, if one is still available.

Cindy Puryear wrote:

Thank you for your comment and we are happy to hear of your using DOE in your research. I do have a few copies left. I will contact you directly regarding shipping.

Article Tags