Subscribe Bookmark
danielvalente

Jul 26, 2013

Using Apple® Keynote to present JMP graphs & analyses

It is always nice to show your data analysis results from JMP directly in JMP. But in some cases, you may need to prepare a slide deck to present your information to others. Since I am primarily a Mac user, my favorite software for creating presentations is Keynote from Apple.

In this post, I’ll show the way I prepare my JMP graphs for Keynote slides, and a workflow that makes it painless to get graphs and tables from JMP to Keynote slides.

No matter how compelling your findings or data are, much of your message will be lost if the images on your slides are not high-quality, vector images. This is especially true as more and more projectors are capability of rendering very high-resolution, wide-screen images.

If you read my previous post on producing publication-quality graphics on the Mac, you’ll find that I am using largely the same workflow when I want to get my images into Keynote.

So let’s get started. Before we get into my actual workflow, though, let’s look at a potential pitfall when trying to directly copy and paste graphics from JMP into Keynote.

For this example, I am using the Iris data set, which is included in the sample data directory in JMP. I’ve run the discriminant analysis script in the data table, which has created the following JMP report that I aim to put into a Keynote slide.

So let’s see what happens if we try to copy and paste. I’ll use the selection tool (select the fat plus from the tools menu or use keyboard shortcut ‘S’). I’ll select the Canonical Plot and Score Summaries tables, and then copy (Command-C) and paste (Command-V) into Keynote.

Not exactly the desired result! But let’s unpack what’s happening. Keynote is smart enough to try to understand what I am trying to do – in this case it knows that there is a table on the clipboard and has tried to create a table in Keynote, where the cells can be edited (very nice, but not really what we want in this case). And also, we’ve lost the graph in the process.

I’m going to suggest an alternative way of getting graphics into Keynote. This method takes only a few seconds more than a direct copy/paste, but it almost always achieves a predictable result and allows very high-quality vector PDF graphics to be placed in slides. And, you’ll be able to resize these graphics without any loss of quality or clarity.

Let’s try this again.

I’ll select the Canonical Plot and Score Summaries table again and copy them. But instead of going directly to Keynote, I am going to open Apple’s Preview application and then select New from Clipboard or type Command-N.

That’s more like it! I can now save this as a Vector PDF image using File > Save or typing Command-S. Now I will drag the PDF document I’ve just created into the slide of my Keynote presentation.

Now we have the properly formatted JMP graph on our slide. This procedure works with any JMP graph or table. You may find that outputting individual elements from a JMP report (such as a single graph or table) affords you some more flexibility in laying out your slides. That is also easy, and the process is nearly the same.

In the figure below, I’ve selected the graph from Distribution and also the results from Tabulate and placed them in the slide. The table came into the slide quite a bit smaller than the graph on the slide because of my default font size in JMP. Fortunately, because my images are Vector PDFs, I can increase the size of the table as much as I want with no loss of quality.

So that’s it! That is the procedure that has worked well for me. I’d love to hear any thoughts or comments you have on my workflow, or any tips and tricks you may have when creating slideshows in Keynote that include JMP graphs or tables.

6 Comments
Community Member

Walter Paczkowski wrote:

Very nice tutorial. But how does this translate to a PC and PowerPoint? I've been using simple cut & paste with the end quality not being very good.

Walt

Daniel Valente wrote:

Hi Walter --

Your best path to getting high-quality JMP graphs into your PowerPoint slides is to do the following:

* Use the Selection tool (fat plus) to grab the graph you want in your slide in JMP.

* Copy to the clipboard using Crtl-C.

* Then 'paste-special' as Picture (Enhanced Metafile) if you are on earlier versions of PowerPoint or Picture (U) on newer versions of PowerPoint. This will create a graphic file that can be resized without losing any quality or clarity.

Community Member

Mike Clayton wrote:

What is it about a "slide set" that is so often required?

If using your own PC or Mac, you can present directly from JMP with more impact.

Or make a video clip that can be presented from customer or conference computer, again using JMP itself. That way you can reuse it in many ways via web.

But, as you say, many customers and conferences REQUIRE slide sets compatible with MS PPT in order to keep copies after the presentation. So we suggest the JMP do a better job of utilizing their knowledge of the MS PPT world by allowing their journals, reports, or whatever story telling utility they will have in future, to transport images, comments, small tables to MS PPT...as evil as it is.

Daniel Valente wrote:

Excellent thoughts, Mike. Thank you for your feedback.

Community Member

Sean wrote:

I have enjoyed your articles on exporting JMP graphs for use in publications. I have a question that I have not found an answer to yet. Can you copy and paste a graph that contains both axis and legend info without copying the graph title? I have not been able to accomplish this and do not need the title in my publication. Thanks for any help.

Daniel Valente wrote:

Hi Sean -- Thanks for the question. I've posted a reply on the User Community:

Article Tags