Subscribe Bookmark
danielvalente

Jul 26, 2013

Top 10 things about JMP 12

JMP 12 Montage

JMP 12 arrives next week, and I hope you've had a chance to read the series of posts by JMP developers about what's coming in this new version.

I’ve been using JMP 12 during the entire development cycle (about 18 months now), and I am impressed how this version has grown from ideas in its infancy to fully formed, mature and useful features in such a short time.

So when you get your copy of JMP 12, try out some of these new features and enhancements, and let me know what your favorites are.

1. Query Builder. This is exciting for anyone who has to access data in databases and may not enjoy writing SQL code to join database tables and build queries. The interface gives you a nice preview of the query, lets you set up custom filters, perform sampling and even lets you set up a “prompt on run” that will let you pick the specific parts of the database you wish you investigate when you run the query. If working with data in databases has previously been challenging for you, Query Builder in JMP 12 simplifies ad hoc queries to data in a database.
  2. Make Validation Column modeling utility in JMP Pro. This is a nice utility that has been added to the modeling utility submenu of the columns menu. It lets you easily partition your data set into training, test and validation subsets without having to go through the exercise of creating a new column and generating a random subset from there. You can also choose to make a stratified sample in the utility launch options. And if you forget to generate a validation column but launch a platform with a validation column role, you can click on the validation button and generate a column directly from the launch. If you are building a lot of validated models in JMP Pro, this is a huge time-saver.
  3. Illuminated drop zones in Graph Builder. Graph Builder is my go-to place for generating graphs in JMP. However, it was sometimes difficult to know where all the possible locations I could drop a column when building my graph. In JMP 12, all the drop zones “light up” as soon as you grab a variable from the list. This makes setting up things like nested hierarchies very easy.
  4. PowerPoint export. The “Save As” menu has a new output file type: “PowerPoint Presentation.” This is a big help when you need to quickly make a presentation of your JMP report to be presented in PowerPoint. The export feature does some useful things. First, it takes the JMP report titles and makes them editable titles on the slides. Second, it converts tabular output into editable tables in PowerPoint (letting you add emphasis or bolding to interesting values in your table). And third, it lets you easily output vector graphics, which you can resize and enlarge without the loss of quality or clarity. (No more Paste Special!).
  5. Images in data tables. Many times, I’ve wished that I could just put a thumbnail of something into a data table. Sometimes, a picture is a really useful way of capturing information about the corresponding data in your data table: a chemical structure, an image of a part or a screenshot of a waveform. JMP 12 makes it easy to incorporate images in data tables just by dragging and dropping. This is afforded by the new expression column data type, which in addition to images can also store .JSL scripts, matrices and associative arrays in data table cells.
  6. Recode in JMP 12. Even though it has the same name as Recode in JMP 11, it is almost entirely different. Perhaps the greatest feature in JMP 12 Recode is the “group similar values” option, which automatically groups nearly similar categories automatically based on edit distance. It is amazing how this works and how much time it can save, especially when you have many unique categories.
  7. Selection filters. You can use graphs to filter other graphs by using selection filtering in JMP 12. Simply create an instant app by combining multiple windows together and then edit the application you have created. Right-click on the graph that you want to function as the filter and then select “use as selection filter.” Now your graph will filter the other graphs letting you create more information-rich dashboards.
  8. Interactive HTML reports. These were introduced in JMP 11 and are a great way to share JMP graphs and reports especially with those who do not have access to JMP. In JMP 12, you can save the Bubble Plot and Profiler as interactive HTML output.
  9. Generalized Regression platform in JMP Pro. Introduced in JMP Pro 11, this is a great way to add modern modeling techniques to your analysis workflow. In JMP Pro 12, everything about Generalized Regression has been improved. The speed at which you can fit large and/or complex models is far faster than before, and the ability to refine your model fit with an interactive graph is quite nice. In JMP Pro 12, you can also employ forward stepwise model fitting and fit models using Quantile regression.
  10. Explore Missing Values and Explore Outliers utilities. These are two modeling utilities that you will want to check out. They help easily profile and deal with these common problems in raw data. These tools combined with Recode and the rest of the utilities and modeling utilities in JMP 12 are quite useful for speeding the time it takes to clean up your data so you can get going with your analysis tasks.
  11. These are my favorite things about JMP 12. Now it’s your turn to find out what your favorite features or improvements will be. Enjoy JMP 12!

2 Comments
    Community Member

Sait COPUROGLU wrote:

As a heavy Interactive HTML user probably my favourite will be the possibility of tabbed output. .

Daniel Valente wrote:

Thank you for your comment. Yes, the TabBox support in interactive HTML reports generated by JMP 12 are very useful as well. I know you have seen this, but I'll share our correspondence in case others would like to see how this looks. I posted a sample interactive HTML report on the JMP User Community with Tab Boxes.

Article Tags