Subscribe Bookmark
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

The People Behind the Software: Duane Hayes

This interview is part of a series of Q&As with the JMP team. Earlier interviews have been with Xan Gregg, Chung-Wei Ng and Laura Lancaster and Bob Hickey and John Sall and Melanie Drake.

Duane Hayes is the Manager of the JMP Technical Support team. He was hired to work in SAS Technical Support more than 18 years ago. Early in his SAS career, he supported mainly the statistical procedures in SAS, as well as some in JMP. As his career progressed, he took on more JMP support and less SAS support, and ultimately became the manager of the JMP support team.

Arati: What do you like most about JMP?

Duane: I like the versatility that JMP provides. With such broad functionality, JMP enables you to look at your data from many perspectives.

Arati: Do you use JMP in your job or for personal projects? If so, how?

Duane: Yes, at home, I use JMP to track my credit card spending. I also use it as a teaching tool for my 10- and 13-year-old sons. They have been learning about probabilities and correlations, and JMP helps visualize the statistics.

Recently, I have been exploring the idea of using JMP to track my golf scores to try to improve my game. For each round, I record various information: score for each hole, fairway in regulation, club selection, green in regulation, yardage, number of putts and so on. When I get enough data, I can see which clubs or shots I need help with. The problem I am facing is finding enough time to build my sample size.

Arati: What are your favorite JMP features that you wish more people knew about and used?

Duane: I like the help tool. If I have questions about a certain statistic or output graph, I can choose the “?” tool, click on the item in question, and the JMP help will open with a description of that item.

Arati: What’s your favorite JMP 9 feature?

Duane: JMP 9 is loaded with new features, and I cannot choose a single one as a favorite. The updates to the Object Scripting Index are nice, along with the new Neural platform. I also think the new “Fit Group” functionality will be extremely useful when studying multiple models in the same Profiler.

Arati: What’s most exciting to you in your work in technical support?

Duane: I am very intrigued with learning how our customers are using JMP. Hearing all of their success stories is completely satisfying, and it makes me proud to be a part of SAS and JMP.

Arati: What books are you reading right now?

Duane: I am currently in the middle of several books, including:

• Recommended by my teenage son, The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep by John Hulme and Michael Wexler

• Knee Surgery: The Essential Guide to Total Knee Recovery by Daniel Fulham O’Neill, M.D., Ed.D
  • The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote

• Arati: What do you like to do in your free time?

Duane: I enjoy playing golf, and hiking and biking the trails in the parks near my neighborhood. Besides these activities, I spend most of my free time with my wife and two sons.

Arati: Pick two (or more if you like) of the following to identify: your favorite programming language, favorite algorithm, favorite formula, favorite theorem or favorite software tool.

Duane: I cannot think of favorites for any of these except favorite software tool: JMP.

1 Comment
    Community Member

The People Behind JMP Software: John Schroedl - JMP Blog wrote:

[...] with Xan Gregg, Chung-Wei Ng and Laura Lancaster and Bob Hickey and John Sall and Melanie Drake and Duane Hayes and Nicole [...]