Subscribe Bookmark
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Support Files for Tuning Graphs Presentation

My Tuning Graphs talk at the JMP User Conference was mostly a live demo of various ways to customize JMP graphs, so there weren't any slides to put on the USB thumb drive of conference proceedings. However, my sample files are now available in the new JMP Extras download area, including a few samples that I didn't have time to cover.

Some customizations were made interactively and some were custom graphics scripts. The last one I showed was a choropleth drawn completely with a JSL script -- the ultimate in customized graphs in JMP.

Choropleth of Hazardous Waste Sites by State

Now you can peruse the script that generated the graph and even the SAS code that generated the state polygons using SAS/GRAPH mapping PROCs.

8 Comments
Community Member

Xan Gregg wrote:

JMP doesn't know about ZIP codes, but you can find some databases online that provide longitude and latitude for ZIP codes. Join that with your data to get a longitude and latitude for each customer, and then plot using longitude as X and latitude as Y.

http://www.boutell.com/zipcodes/

Community Member

Tom Hogan wrote:

I have the zip codes of ~1,000 customers from a multi-state region in Microsoft Excel.

I would like to generate a picture / map showing each customer as a "dot" on the map to visualize where customers come from.

I would prefer to use Zip code rather than county, if possible.

Can JMP do this using ZIP codes?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this.

Tom Hogan

Community Member

Xan Gregg wrote:

Thanks, Chan.

Interpolate() can take any number of x/y pairs and uses the nearest x values for the mapping to the corresponding y values. For example, you can roughly simulate a log transformation with Interpolate(x, 1, 0, 10, 1, 100, 2, 1000, 3). Values between 1 and 10 are mapped to the range 0..1; values between 10 and 100 are mapped to the range 1..2; etc.

There are three calls to Interpolate() to create each color, one call for each RGB component.

BTW, I only see the 7-argument Interpolate() in the version 6 script (the ones with a "6" suffix). If you have JMP 7, you should study the scripts without the "6" suffix.

Community Member

Chan Sinnett wrote:

Hello Xan,

I instantly loved your maps. I've studied your scripts some (but I'm not very good at them yet) and found out that I can use data to selectively highlight the state borders, or to hide selected states. But I've had some trouble understanding your colors. I don't know how the INTERPOLATE command works with 7 parameters when the help screen only talks about 5 parameters (the x input, and the endpoints of the line to interpolate along). If you could explain this and how this becomes the color, that would really be great!

Thanks!

Chan

Community Member

Mike Fliss wrote:

unfortunately, no, we're talking about census tract data and zip code level data. Thoughts?

Community Member

John wrote:

If you're just doing state-level data, you could use JMP to do the data analysis and use IBM's Many Eyes--free and web-based--to handle the state export: http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/page/US_State_Map.html

Community Member

Xan Gregg wrote:

Maps are not currently "first-class" citizens in the JMP world in the sense that JMP 7 has no intrinsic support for them. The graph above demonstrates that you can still get nice colored maps, but you need a custom script and polygon data. (In the example, I read the polygons from a SAS installation, which includes map data in the samples.)

Your organization would probably need some consulting time from JMP to create a custom script similar to the one I made for reading polygons from SHP files or other sources and plotting them.

Reading polygons from SHP files and better internal support for maps is in the works for the next version of JMP, and I'm glad to hear another request for it.

Community Member

Mike Fliss wrote:

Hello!

I'm coordinating a potential purchase of JMP for an organization that does a fair bit of report generating. What's been getting in the way (which this blog post blows out of the water, to some degree) is concern that it can't handle maps.

I see you've drawn a pretty graph there! Is there support for shp files and the like? That is, say I've got shp files for counties, and data I want to present, color coded, just as you have. I don't want to have to recode by hand all the counties in the US into scripted boundaries. I wouldn't know how, and I think I might die before I finished. If I have maps (downloaded from census gov or something similar) by tract or zip, and data I want to color code, can I?

If anyone can email me an answer of yes, you just might seal a deal.

peace,mike

Article Tags