Subscribe Bookmark
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

Stay nerdy, my friends!

Last week, a JMP user posted a funny comment on LinkedIn about JMP. It was a takeoff on the amusing Dos Equis commercials about the Most Interesting Man in the World.

According to the ads, the Most Interesting Man has lived a life so remarkable that, for instance, "he can speak French in Russian" and "police often question him just because they find him interesting." As a writer and former grammar instructor, I adore this line from one of the ads: "People hang on his every word, even the prepositions."

At the end of some of the ads showing his extraordinary exploits like arm wrestling a dictator and releasing a bear from a trap, the Most Interesting Man says, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Stay thirsty, my friends."

Inspired by these ads, Jason Chavarry, a JMP user on the HR analytics team at The Hershey Company, commented on a post in LinkedIn about JMP: "I don't always Stepwise Regress my large data sets, but when I do.... I do it with JMP. Stay Nerdy my friends.... #DosEquis"

I shared it with a few colleagues, who used the same theme to come up with a couple additional quips for our life sciences software:

• "I don’t always create linkage maps for my experimental populations, but when I do, I do it with JMP Genomics. Stay inbred, my friends." (Kelci Miclaus)
  • I don’t always analyze CDISC-compliant data, but when I do, I prefer JMP Clinical. Stay standardized, my friends." (Richard Zink)
  • And now I throw it out to you, my friends. I want to hear your own JMP-related version of this pop-culture meme.

10 Comments
    Community Member

Suneel Grover wrote:

"I don't always blaze bootstrap forests with my consumer behavior data, but when I get curious.... I do it with JMP Pro. Stay visual my friends...."

Arati Korwar wrote:

Good one, Suneel! Feel free to post more if you think of more!

Community Member

Chris Hemedinger wrote:

"I don't always automate my data access and visualization, but when I do, I use JSL. Stay scripty, my friends."

Arati Korwar wrote:

Love it, Chris! Keep 'em coming!

Community Member

Mike Anderson wrote:

I don't always teach SAS or MATLAB to my stats undergrads. When biology students need to learn analysis fast, I show them interactive tools in JMP. Stay clicky, my friends.

Arati Korwar wrote:

That's great, Mike! Thanks!

Community Member

Jason Brinkley wrote:

I don't always teach sample size calculations to my students. But when I do, I use JMP software. Stay powerful my friends.

I don't always use bubble plots to visualize the spacial/temporal aspects of my data. But when I do, I use JMP software. Stay animated my friends.

Arati Korwar wrote:

These are both wonderful, Jason! Thanks for contributing them!

Community Member

Steve Figard wrote:

I don't always computed nested variance components, but when I do, I prefer a JMP analysis. Stay precise, my friends.

Arati Korwar wrote:

Very cool, Steve! Thanks!