Subscribe Bookmark
ameliavogler

Staff

Jul 31, 2012

So many rows, so little time ... Finding unique values in columns

Nope, you don't need any of these things. Abandon all worry; invite the opportunity. You are ready.

JMP makes finding unique values in your columns quite easy by using the Recode option. The Recode dialog displays a list of all of the unique values for any number of columns that you have selected.

Recorde Dialog

You can also make changes to any of the values. This is useful when making corrections, including new variables for a comparative analysis, or creating test variables that can be used to further investigate.

Watch this short video on how to view and update unique values (1:09) to review a use of the Recode option.

Today, I'm going to tour you through finding unique values in the columns of your data set. You might be thinking that since JMP handles such massive data, then this is going to be a real  journey. "Oh, no! I'm going to need  emotional preparation, extreme physical conditioning, and perhaps a dedicated moment to call in steadfastness and perseverance."

2 Comments
Community Member

Richard Giambrone wrote:

Thanks for the recoding tip. Short and sweet, but very valuable. I forgot about this technique. It's going to save me a ton of time when I have to recode values for a logistic regression. I was using a conditional formula to recode values.

Amelia Vogler wrote:

Richard,

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words and am so happy that this little tip will save you time in the future. If you (or others) have hints or tips that you'd like to share, or would like to see in a video, please don't hesitate to leave them in a comment. I'm here to help make your experience with JMP even easier, and I look forward to learning from you as well.

Kindest regards,

Amelia

Article Tags