Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
nina_chan

Staff

Nov 21, 2014

Sam Gardner on building better statistical models in Europe

“All models are wrong, but some are useful,” George Box once stated. Sam Gardner will speak to European audiences next week about building better -- and useful -- statistical models, as part of the JMP Explorers seminar series. It is the second round for this seminar in Europe this year. There was a lot of interest in the topic during the events in May in the UK and Germany. Now Sam is coming back to deliver this seminar in France and Italy as well, and we are expecting full houses. We will also repeat the event in the UK and Germany. I have asked Sam a few questions on his upcoming trip to Europe.

What will be the major takeaways for attendees of this seminar? 

I hope that the attendees are able to see that advanced model-building methods are accessible and easy to implement. Modern statistical software enables a broad range of individuals to be able to use their data to build models and make decisions.

Part of what I love about my work is that I get to teach and help others learn more about statistical thinking and modeling. We have included teaching on fundamental concepts (such as cross-validation, types of statistical models, bagging, boosting, etc.). These concepts are presented in a way to help make them understandable, regardless of your prior training or experience. I hope that the attendees feel like they either learned something new or that their understanding of these concepts has been deepened.

Why do you think this seminar is so successful in Europe?

We decided that this seminar series needs to be not just theoretical, but also practical. We use realistic case studies that show how building better statistical models can be applied in a variety of industry and application areas.  I think the participants come away from the seminar thinking "I can do that."

This is the first time this seminar is held in Italy and France. What are you looking forward to?

The interest in these seminars has been tremendous, and I always love meeting with current JMP users and prospective JMP users. As a statistician, I love to learn about problems people are having in their business and finding ways to help them find solutions to those problems.

This will be my first time visiting Paris, so I am hoping to be able to see some of the city while I am there. I also hope to get to experience some good local cuisine in Milan and Paris.

Can you share a few words about your expertise?

I have been blessed to have had a wide variety of educational and career opportunities over the last 25 years. I have earned degrees in mathematics, statistics and chemistry. My work has ranged from building computer simulation models of weapons systems, flight test planning and data analysis, human factors research, pharmaceutical R&D, chemical manufacturing, and university teaching. Now I get to work with people all over the world who are using data to make decisions. It is a real privilege.

You can learn more about the agenda and register for the events by following the links below:

Sept. 19, Hamburg, Germany

Sept. 20, Milan, Italy

Sep. 25, Manchester, UK

Sept. 26, Paris, France