Subscribe Bookmark
danielvalente

Jul 26, 2013

Publication-quality graphics from JMP: Workflow for Mac users

Are you a Mac user and need to create publication-quality graphics of JMP graphs or reports? With JMP 11, it is now even easier and can be done with the help of standard applications that come with MacOS.

JMP developers have completely rewritten the graphics engine on the Mac version of the product. As a result, there is a nice workflow that you can follow that produces high-quality, print-ready graphics for your presentations, journal publications or other situations where the very best quality graphics are required.

Let’s look at an example. In Graph Builder, I’ve created the following graph that I want to output as a vector image:I’ll use my selector tool (keyboard shortcut: S) or choose the fat plus sign from the toolbar. Then select the entire plot with the selector tool (it will turn blue). From there, I am going to want to place it onto the clipboard by either typing CMD-C on the keyboard or using Copy from the Edit menu in JMP.

Now, I am going to want to open Apple’s Preview application, navigate to the File menu and select New from Clipboard (or type CMD-N).

This will create a vector PDF file from the selection in JMP. You can save the file, and now it will be ready for use in any publication or presentation.

The advantage of this workflow and graphic output strategy is that I can rescale these graphics files to any size or resolution without a loss of quality or clarity. Notice in the crop displayed below how the quality of the graph is retained, even when the size of the graph is increased by 300 percent. Another potential advantage of using vector PDFs over another vector format such as .eps, is that I can easily share these graphs with other members in my organization who don't have specialized image editing software.

These image files can be shared with both my Mac- and Windows-using colleagues, can be embedded in Microsoft PowerPoint or Word documents, can be emailed and viewed on mobile devices, and will satisfy the graphics guidelines of most journal publications. It is also possible to create variable-DPI raster graphics directly from these vector PDF image files in Preview. Here is another example of a report from the Fit Model platform in JMP:

It is possible to create a .jpeg image file, at any DPI directly from this file. Selecting File -> Export will bring up the following menu. I’ll select JPEG from the Format selection and then set my Resolution to any pixels/inch that I desire.

Notice the dimensions of my new saved file – 5,450 x 3,725 pixels – more than 20 megapixels. No matter if your journal publication needs figures in vector format (send them the vector PDF images as-is), or requires high-resolution versions in a raster format (simply save the vector in the correct file format at the resolution that the journal is requesting), you can easily and painlessly export high-quality graphics straight from JMP using this workflow.

5 Comments
Community Member

MS wrote:

A rewritten graphics engine for the Mac version of JMP is great. However, while I have not yet had a chance to try JMP 11, this particular workflow has worked well for me in JMP 10 as well. The vector graphics, including fonts, is retained both when opening clipboard in Preview and when pasting into Adobe Illustrator. Are there any other changes or improvements in graphics that I can expect from JMP 11 for Mac?

Daniel Valente wrote:

In JMP 11, you will find that many of the graphs have a cleaner, crisper look and feel to them. We have outlined some of these improvements on our New in JMP 11 page. A couple of my favorite improvements re: graphics include the "anti-collision" labels, the softer grey graph boxes, the shaded tables and colored p values within a report, larger default line widths and point sizes and the new default font for graphs. Also, there are new color themes and an updated way to customize color themes that make adjusting the colors used within a graph very easy. These improvements, coupled with the workflow that I've described in this post, should make outputting publication or print-quality graphics from JMP even easier with this version.

Community Member

Melissa wrote:

How do I get rid of the shaded background in Graph builder? This appears in my exported images whether I use Preview to generate a PDF or the Export command within JMP. This is NOT publication ready (or useable in a presentation) without getting rid of the background color.

Daniel Valente wrote:

Hi Melissa â

Thanks for the comment. To get rid of the background you will want to go the JMP > Preferences and the click on the Styles tab. Then change the window color from itâ s default grey to a white using the picker. Then you will be able to have a graph with a completely white background. Hope this helps.

Community Member

Thanks for the helpful tutorial.  Is there a way to exclude the legend (e.g., "Weight" above) from the Preview file?  When I use the the "fat plus" selector tool in Graph Builder to select only the graph, axes numbers, and axes labels, it becomes jumbled up in Preview.