Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

People Behind JMP Genomics: Lili Li

This interview is part of a series of Q&As with the JMP Genomics software development team, who recently released JMP Genomics 5. Last week, we heard from statistical developer Wendy Czika and life sciences product manager Shannon Conners.

head and shoulders photo of Lili Li of JMPLili Li is a software developer in the JMP Genomics group. She started her job at JMP after finishing her PhD two and half years ago. Because Lili has a background in biology and computer science, working on JMP Genomics seemed the perfect fit for her skills and knowledge.

Arati: What do you like most about JMP and JMP Genomics?

Lili: The visualization in JMP is the best, and it’s interactively dynamic. Another thing I like about JMP is that I can always review how a graphic was created by clicking on the red triangle next to the graph to examine the script. JMP Genomics provides sophisticated statistical analysis options for genomics data and delivers robust statistical results.

Screenshot from JMP Genomics 5

Arati: What’s new in JMP Genomics 5 in your area of focus?

Lili: My focus in JMP Genomics 5 was the ability to import files generated by next-gen sequencing pipelines. In version 5, you can import SAM files and convert them to SAS data sets.

Arati: How will that new capability help JMP Genomics customers?

Lili: SAM files are commonly used to store the results of next-gen sequencing experiments. So this makes it easier for people to bring those files into JMP Genomics to perform further analysis.

Arati: What’s most exciting to you as a developer?

Lili: As a developer, I am very excited when I fix bugs, especially if I have struggled for a long time to figure out what the problem is.

Arati: Pick two (or more if you like) of the following to identify: your favorite programming language, favorite algorithm, favorite formula, favorite theorem or favorite software tool.

Lili: I really enjoy writing scripts in JSL (JMP Scripting Language) and SAS.