Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
shannon_conners

Jun 23, 2011

Nextgen sequencing conference at NCGR

Field application scientist Doug Robinson and JMP Account Executive Susan Glick recently attended an excellent conference on next-generation sequencing, organized by JMP Genomics customer National Center for Genome Resources. This conference, held March 6-7 in Santa Fe, NM, was sponsored by JMP Genomics, Illumina, and Roche, among others. JMP Genomics was invited to exhibit by Faye Schilkey, Associate Director of the Genome Sequencing Center at NCGR. NCGR has several Illumina next-gen sequencers, and a number of ongoing collaborative projects with other institutions, aimed at probing the capabilities of this relatively new technology.

JMP Genomics was the only software company exhibiting at the conference, which provided an excellent chance to learn more about the technology from featured speakers and end users of high-throughput sequencing technologies. I was disappointed that I couldn't attend myself to learn more about this growing area, but it's hard to get out of town this late in the release cycle. With JMP Genomics 3.2 heading for release in the very near future, there has been lots of activity on various fronts -- marketing, sales, testing, documentation and development to name a few.

After the conference ended, field application scientist Jordan Hiller joined Doug and Susan in New Mexico for JMP Genomics training at NCGR. I think everyone was surprised and pleased how easily the expression query reports from NCGR's Alpheus sequence processing pipeline could be imported into JMP Genomics and run through the same quality assessment, normalization and ANOVA tools JMP Genomics customers regularly apply to other expression data sets. NCGR's Alpheus developers have now written an output utility to create a processed data set in typical JMP Genomics format, and NCGR scientists have told us that outlier samples are easy to identify due to the various visual representations of the data we offer in our QC processes. As you can imagine, this report brought smiles to the faces of our JMP Genomics development team. We are looking forward to hearing lots more from NCGR as their studies progress! Stephen Kingsmore from NCGR will be presenting some of this ongoing work, including analysis of Alpheus data using JMP Genomics, at the Next Generation Sequencing Technologies conference sponsored by CHI in San Diego on April 23-24.

Article Tags