Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed
arati_mejdal

Staff

May 21, 2014

Learn to lower costs through visual analytics

Now and then, we put on seminars that focus on showing people how to reduce costs by using visual analytics. These popular seminars are coming to Omaha, Nebraska, on Oct. 15 and the St. Louis, Missouri, area on Oct. 17.

I spoke with the two guys who will be presenting at these seminars, Scott Wise and Chris Kirchberg, to get a sense of what they're preparing for attendees.

Arati: What will attendees get out of your presentation on "Visual Data Mining: Using Interactive Graphs for Cost Analysis"?

Scott: People will learn how to visually interact with their data and uncover ways to improve bottom-line costs.

Arati: Similarly, Chris, what are you hoping to convey in your talk on "Why Visual Analytics? Benefits and Examples of Visual Analysis"?

Chris: We are visual creatures, and our eyes are the most import part when looking at and analyzing data. They can also fool us into making the wrong decision if the visual used to convey the data is obtuse or made/presented in a way that it obscures the key decision-making message. We need the right visual to convey the right message so that effective (and accurate) decision making can take place.

Arati: What kinds of case studies in reducing costs will you be sharing, Scott?

Scott: I will show case studies that demonstrate how JMP can find the hidden costs in your data. I'll give examples from many different organizational areas, such as finance, production and quality.

Arati: What kinds of examples will you, Chris, show in your presentation on "Deciding with Confidence: Using Visual Analytics and Data Mining for Decision Making"?

Chris: I may "go cowboy" and choose the specific examples the day of presentation based on who attends. But the types of examples will center on animated bubble graphs, geography-related animations, using partitioning/decision trees to explore data in a visual manner, and visualizing predictive models that employ something called a Prediction Profiler so we can ask "what if?" type questions in real time and see the possible outcomes.

Arati: What types of companies and job roles will benefit from this seminar? Why would the content be important to them?

Scott: This seminar would benefit anyone who needs to analyze data and improve costs in their organization.

Chris: I'd say, basically, any company that has some sort of cost associated with their business and has data pertaining to that cost would find the seminar very helpful. The person/role can be really anyone who has data. For example, people in HR, bankers, salespeople, marketing, engineers, scientists and so on. By getting a better handle on their data from a visual perspective, they can see the consequences of a cost or see the causes (even hidden ones) of that cost and then make more-informed decisions to reduce that cost.

There's still room for you to join us at the seminar in Omaha, Nebraska, on Oct. 15 or in the St. Louis, Missouri, area on Oct. 17. Hope to see you there!