Subscribe Bookmark
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

JMP and SQL

This blog post was written by a blogger who is no longer at SAS

I talked recently with a customer who frequently used JMP SQL ODBC. Don't let the abbreviations intimidate you because I am going to explain an impressive way that JMP makes it all easy. I am quite acquainted with matters mathematical. I understand equations both the simple and quadratical. Getting values is easy -- numeric or categorical -- even when the tools you use are only acronymical.

SQL has a complicated syntax, full of parentheses, semicolons, and other vagaries that are hard to remember. And its lofty and simple goals -- that of pulling information from a database -- can get confounded with its complexity and rigid syntax. JMP is well-known for removing the tyranny of minutiae from statistics. And JMP also removes this tyranny from dealing with SQL.

In fact, JMP lets you build SQL queries without knowing the nitty-gritty details of the language. After connecting to a database using Database > Open Table, click the Advanced button to construct a query.

If you are confident in your SQL abilities, you can type your query, or import it from an external file.

That is quite impressive, but JMP frees you from doing even this. Click Where to reveal an interface to SQL that takes care of the details for you. We call it the Where Clause Editor.

Here, you see that I've created a query that gets all records where the value of OCT is greater than one-half. I've also opened up the Date/Time menu to show you the variety of functions available. Remember: JMP knows the correct syntax for all these things, so you don't have to!

Use the Where Clause Editor, and you too can be the very model of a modern database user.

Article Tags