Subscribe Bookmark
shannon_conners

Jun 23, 2011

JMP 12 is on the way!

All the members of the JMP Development team are anticipating the day when we can finally share JMP 12 with you, our customers! If you attended JMP Discovery Summit 2014, you were lucky enough to get an early look at many of the new features and improvements coming your way. Soon you’ll be able to visit the JMP website for in-depth descriptions, screenshots and videos of our latest release. You’ll also get the inside scoop from members of the development team as they blog here about their favorite new JMP 12 features.

Each and every release, we do our best to add features that can help you solve new problems and simplify your existing workflows. We are guided by feedback from a variety of sources, including suggestions that come in through JMP technical support, information gathered during in-person and web meetings with customers, and the many ideas we receive from dedicated JMP 12 beta testers. As you get to know JMP 12 on your own desktop, we hope that you will share your thoughts with us about how we can continue to improve JMP. (And if you haven’t yet joined the free online JMP User Community, please join in the conversations there!)

The additions we’ve made in JMP 12 further strengthen JMP as an end-to-end data analysis solution designed for scientists and engineers. We’ve made it easier for you to access your data. You can now filter and draw data from databases with the new SQL Query Builder, and we’ve extended the popular Excel Import Wizard to the Mac. We’ve simplified the process of data cleanup with a variety of new utilities and transformed the JMP Recode platform, adding time-saving new features like manual and automatic grouping options (my favorite).

We’ve also added highly requested new analytic functionality to JMP 12 with new Multiple Correspondence Analysis, Destructive Degradation, and Process Capability platforms. Many modeling platforms now offer an interactive model editing dashboard that lets you quickly assess the impact of adding and removing terms. We’ve also made major improvements to a number of popular JMP platforms including Graph Builder, Cluster, Discriminant, and Ternary.

When you’re ready to share your results, you have new options in JMP 12, allowing you to save JMP output directly to PowerPoint and also export interactive HTML versions of the Profiler and Bubble Plot for viewing in web browsers. JMP Pro includes all of the enhancements mentioned above, plus a new Covering Arrays platform, PLS-DA features, and extensive updates to existing mixed model and generalized regression features.

There are far too many new features in JMP 12 to mention them all here, but you’ll soon be able to peruse the new features guide for more details. As with every release, we have made major additions to JMP Help and JMP Books to cover new features. In addition, DOE documentation has undergone major revisions for JMP 12, adding extensive new examples and information on new capabilities. (By the way, did you know that you can search for JMP Help online? JMP Help and .PDF versions of JMP Books are available on jmp.com and can be searched there or from any search engine.)

Like many of my colleagues, I work for JMP, but I am also a JMP user. I consider myself a relative novice, but like many of you, I learn more of JMP with each release cycle. I use our software nearly every day to retrieve, visualize and analyze data that is important to my job and to my life outside of the office. Early in JMP 12 development, I began to extend my JMP skills by learning JMP Scripting Language (JSL), and presented a poster at JMP Discovery Summit 2014 detailing how I used JSL to import nearly four years my personal diet and fitness data into JMP and visualize it in Graph Builder. I even used the new Export to PowerPoint feature extensively to create my Discovery e-poster, which you can find in PDF format in the JMP User Community. I have been blogging about my project in a series, and I showed an example of how I added images to my weight tables and graphs (another JMP 12 feature) to explain the motivation for my project.

Many of the JMP 12 features I adopted when working on my Discovery Summit e-poster have proved to be incredibly useful in daily work with internal data sources. The revised JMP 12 Recode platform is just as helpful for cleaning up data about software bugs and code pushes as it was for consolidating item names in my food log data. I use new JMP 12 axis options daily to customize the appearance of my graphs, whether I’m visualizing data on my sleep, activity and eating patterns, weight training data, or creating internal graphs for colleagues to summarize progress in the software release cycle. I’ve also been playing with the new selection filtering feature that lets me use a graph to filter another graph and exploring the new Query Builder with internal SAS and SQL data sources.

Be sure to watch for more information about JMP 12 in this blog in the coming weeks. JMP 12 will be officially launched at the JMP Discovery Summit Europe conference in Brussels in March. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new version, and thanks again for using our software.

Editor's note: This post is part of a series of previews of JMP 12 written by the people who develop the software.

2 Comments
Community Member

Michael Clayton wrote:

Each new version has been great help eventually.

We recommend everyone keep prior versions installed until all of your scripts are tested in new version, and that version becomes stable (seems to take about 3 to 6 months in past). For some of my clients, that;s a lot of scripts.

I have to have Version 5, 8 and 11 running to support clients who never updated vs those in between these versions. In your blog, could you also show any "more professional" or "more commercial" look to the major graphical reports? We often compete with very costly marketing-oriented graphics for visual impact in CEO level reports. But the engineers prefer basics that they can then modify themselves to their taste. Thanks.

Shannon Conners wrote:

Thanks, Michael. We strive to maintain scripting compatibility wherever possible, and publish notes on JSL compatibility changes with our JMP releases. For JMP 12, we also lengthened our beta testing period to help reduce scripting compatibility issues. Fixes are made during JMP main releases and the maintenance cycles that follow them. Your point is well taken that CEOs and engineers have different interests when it comes to graphical reports. We appreciate the suggestions for future blog topics!

Article Tags