Subscribe Bookmark
hecht_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Introducing JMP Graph Builder for iPad

I just love the iPad!

In it, Apple has combined mobility and raw computing power with an amazingly responsive touch interface. When I first saw it, I thought, "We need to put JMP on this device!" And there is one component of JMP that practically screams to be on the iPad: Graph Builder.

So about 18 months ago, a small team of us started porting Graph Builder to the iPad. We had in mind building an app that could open a JMP data table, show the Graph Builder graphs stored in it, let you change those graphs or make new ones, and share your results. If you take your iPad to a meeting, you could open a JMP data table from an email attachment and project a graph on a screen. Then you could play "What If" games with your data right there, collaboratively.

Or you could use desktop JMP to prepare a data table of raw data for a class of students. They would download the data from your website directly into Graph Builder on their iPads. From there, your students would explore the data, build an analysis, and email the graph back to you.

We were excited by this idea, but we wanted our new app to have a different focus from desktop JMP. There, when you open a data table, that's the first thing you see -- the data. Our focus is instead on the graphs, so we show you a gallery of your data tables with thumbnails of the graphs you've made for them.

Tap on one of these and it opens, showing you a beautiful full-screen view of your graph. Of course, you might want to present the data in your table several different ways, so we let you store multiple graphs in each one. They appear as tabs across the top.

But we wanted to go further. So we created a tool to let you inspect the numeric details of any graph. Tap-and-hold on your graph, and up pops the magnifier. This tool shows you a magnified view of what's under your fingertip, with tags identifying the axis values at that location. Some graphs will show you even more information, like the label for the data point you're pointing at; or the county, state, or country you tapped on. Just slide the magnifier around your graph to see all the details.

But the real fun begins when you tap the Edit button. This puts you in "Edit Mode", where you can completely change your graph, or make a brand new one. Tap and drag columns from the list on the left to Graph Builder drop zones just like you do with desktop JMP. Graph Builder responds immediately. It's really fun to experiment!

You can use the icons along the top to change what kind of graph you are creating. You can also tap-and-drag one of these icons to create a graph with multiple graph types, either overlaid or side-by-side. For fine-tuned control, tap the Info icon.

From here you can control how Graph Builder draws your data. Want those bars stacked or that area plot overlaid? Just tap the switch. And under the Legend tab you can change things like color themes and line styles.

We're thrilled to bring you this new app. We can't wait for you to start using it to explore your data and share your discoveries. But the best part about JMP Graph Builder for iPad is that it's free. Download it from the App Store and start building your own graphs today!

Editor's Note: You can also check out the Help page for JMP Graph Builder for iPad.

14 Comments
Community Member

Stefan Keydel wrote:

Although I don't know which specific display technology JMP is using for this app, it certainly can't be Adobe Flash. This begs the question: will JMP for Mac be able to create non-Flash (HTML5?) interactive charts (Bubble, etc) that can be shared via presentation software? Or on non-Flash websites?

Staff

Michael Hecht wrote:

Stefan, JMP Graph Builder for iPad uses the same technology as JMP for Macintosh -- Quartz rendering. JMP 10 does not include HTML5 rendering, and I can't speak to future versions. But it is definitely something we're aware of!

Community Member

Stefan Keydel wrote:

Okay, thanks Michael.

Stefan

Community Member

Stefan Keydel wrote:

After playing with this for a few days, I'm really impressed! This is fantastic way to deliver JMP analysis to people in the business who don't (and won't) have access to the desktop version of JMP. Of course, my wish-list is growing by the day :-) One of the things I'd love to see would be a limited implementation of the Oneway ANOVA platform (I realize that this isn't currently a part of Graph Builder functionality).

Anyway, thanks again for this!

Stefan

Community Member

Joshua Jendza wrote:

There is an error in the example files for download. Observation 231 (Virgin islands?, can't resize the column to get the full name) in the world demographics example lists an overall live expectancy of 1577 years instead of 15.77.

Community Member

JMP 10 speeds discovery; watch live webcast on March 20 wrote:

[...] Many enhancements to Graph Builder, including a free Graph Builder iPad app. [...]

Community Member

UK JMP users: Join us at GSK to see JMP 10 wrote:

[...] I am delighted to say that our very own Dr. Ian Cox will be showing the awesome JMP 10 at the users group meeting. The product has been enhanced in so many ways â from simplifying visualisation to making even more robust predictive models â truly JMP 10 is the ultimate tool for interactive data analysis and mining! And for those of you who like your gadgets â we will be showing the JMP Graph Builder app for the iPad. [...]

Community Member

Ed Burnette wrote:

Great stuff, Michael. How about an Android version? I know, there's no Quartz on Android, but it does have OpenGL ES and C++.

Staff

Michael Hecht wrote:

I guess the U.S. Virgin Islands is the place to be!

Thanks for catching this, Joshua. It looks like the "GDP (PPP) $M" column ($1,577) found its way into the "Overall Life Expectancy at Birth" column for this row. The real value is 79.05, and the data table has been corrected. Download a fresh copy and take a look!

Community Member

Top 5 posts about JMP 10 software wrote:

[...] 1. Introducing JMP Graph Builder for iPad. Because of the growing demand for and interest in mobile technology -- smart phones and tablet devices -- JMP decided a year and a half ago to develop Graph Builder for the iPad. In this post, developer Michael Hecht introduces this new app and its interactive features. Download it from the App Store and start building graphs on the go today. [...]

Community Member

rafael gutierrez wrote:

i watn to know when we expect the android version?

Staff

Michael Hecht wrote:

Rafael, we cannot announce any plans for an Android version at this time. Thanks for your feedback!

Community Member

Mike Clayton wrote:

2014 would a great year to start supporting Android tablets,

Any updates on that issue?

Or are you waiting for Apple to move to new standards?

Community Manager

Jeff Perkinson wrote:

We continually evaluate the market and our resources. The effort to port Graph Builder to Android devices would be much greater than what was required for the iPad.

We don't have any plans for it currently.

Article Tags